Race tech

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedfreke

Reaction score
I called Race Tech today to get a price on front spring and a lowering kit. the sales rep told me they dont offer spacers so it would have to be an in house deal were i send them my forks. This doesn't sound right to me. can someone who has lowered their front end with race tech's shed some light on this. maybe i talked to the wrong person?

thanks
Richard

You can make your own spacers easily enough with pipe or PVC. They go in under the springs on the bottom piston.

Sean

The main springs are physically shorter though right? This lady basically told me to lower the front end with race tech would be a custom deal. I think I will call the technical department tomorrow to see if I can find someone with maybe a better working knowledge.

thanks

No, the springs can remain the same but the suspension travel will be reduced (there is plenty anyway). To maintain the travel you would need diff tubes and then only the top spacer would need to be changed.

Sean

Sean's right! Just buy the kit and then take the stock rebound snubber springs to the hardware store and get a chunk of PVC pipe that will work. How ever long you make that pipe is how far you drop it. 1" 1.5" 2"...

Chris

Oh so I can use the springs at stock height until I can afford some 11.5" 430's from sean, then lower the forks internally? Sweet

I'd lower it now! It will fall in a bit quicker than you may like but it will be a lot better than doing it all over again. You will have to completely disassemble them to put in the spacers.

I think it was a misunderstanding with who you talked to at Ractec. I talked to the lady there when I ordered mine. And she knew exactly what I needed and gave me great service.
What she probably meant is "Lowering Spacers" are not included in the kit when you order their setup. Which is true.
But they gave me more than enough spacer tube to make the spring spacers on top And Make lowering spacers If I wanted to.
And 4Gasem is right. You have to completely disassemble the forks to put the lower spacers in, so you might as well do it while you're in there the first time.

So if I order the race tech spring kit it will come with enough spacer material for top spacers and lowering spacers if I want to lower it?
If so I will be ordering some race techs today. Has anyone ever tried race techs fork seals? should I just stick with oem seals?

Richard

OEM's most commonly are the best bet. Remember new dust seals/covers while you're at it.

Gary McCoy at Mondak is your best price.

VMOA members get a 25% discount at Race-Tech...

It works out to be cheaper to become a member so you get the discount...

OR - I have a set of forks already assembled, lowered, racetech springs, and emulators that I would sell on exchange (97 forks). They do have a gouge in one leg that can be filled in and painted over or use them as is. I've even got the BG synthetic fluid installed in them that we like to use.

OEM seals are hard to beat.

Sean

I would take you up on that Sean but I just installed the Ricor Intiminators in my forks.

So if I order the race tech spring kit it will come with enough spacer material for top spacers and lowering spacers if I want to lower it?
If so I will be ordering some race techs today. Has anyone ever tried race techs fork seals? should I just stick with oem seals?

Richard

I can only attest that I got enough to do lowering spacers. I can not guarantee that you will get enough.
Unfortunately, I do remember a post in the past that talked about someone not getting enough spacer, so they had to use pvc.
I think it all depends on who packages your kit that day as to how much spacer tubing you will get.
When I get home tonight I can go see how much spacer I got when I got my kit. Then you can ask Racetec when you order it, how much spacer tube they are going to include.

I ordered the race tech springs this morning. If it doesn't come with enough spacer material to do the lowering then I will buy some pvc, the beautiful thing about pvc is it's cheap. I am also ordering oem seals and dust covers from gary at mondack. I am getting ready in anticipation for the slow winter season at the shop so the rear shocks will have to wait till next year when work picks back up.

:ummm: Hey, which system do you guys feel works better, the Racetech emulators or the Ricor intimidators. I have my spare 85 front end apart and am waiting on Chromemasters to send back my lower legs and triple trees. Thanks, Spur

Latest posts

Back