Racing ECM for the new Vmax...worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daviddi888

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here. This is my 12th bike, but first cruiser....I gotta say, I'm loving it.:eusa_dance: Before I spend an other thousand bones on the Yamaha Vmax racing ECM, just want to know if I should, and what does it do? Thanks guys.

Yeah, before dropping another $1000 I suggest looking into that.
Are you changing exhaust? What are your goals for the bike?
Do you have a link to the product?

About the only tangible benefit I've been able to determine is the removal of the 4th and 5th gear RPM limits. There are cheaper ways to do that, if that's your goal.

I'd save your money.

I think they may have found a way around buying the ECM from yamaha, but what it does is remove the speed limiter. They have been running into the limiter ruining quarter mile speeds/ times.

I believe that one of the '09s (Rick) at the Eureka Springs VMOA rally had the Race ECU, and when we all bailed off the mountain at 100+ mph, he blew by me like I was parked on the side of the road on the kickstand! :worthy:

He later said that while he knew his speedometer was a little off, it read 170!

Good times! :clapping:

I had my 09 on a dyno and hit redline at 167 mph. Speedo check showed off 5% when compared to the dyno. Ran a 2008 Busa last week from several roll ons at 30 mph and we were dead even up to 140 mph, then I shut er down. Not the proper road conditions or place. He has full exhaust system, power commander and K&N. Since Eureka I have added the UFO Catsass, Maxtuner, and 4 individual K&N . My dyno with upgrades was only 180 RWHP @ 120 ft lbs torque. This is just with bolting on the upgrades, I do have the ECU of course. I am about to order a Dynojet Wideband A/F 02 for tuning. I am really hoping to wring out another 10 RWHP. Busa guy was shocked, kept looking over at me like, WTF. Cant shake the Water Buffalo. I told him I really wasnt in his class, I should be racing M109 and Triumph Rockets. Asked to set me up with some money races. LOL rick

Yo Rick, when you installed the Yamaha racing ECM, did the Vmax run any differently on regular riding and idling....etc? I hate to loose the smooth drivability"ridability"(not sure if that's a word) just to raise the speed limit.

Idle went up just s bit. Otherwise, didnt know it was there, until I bumped 170 one day. LOL I also installed the UFO Maxtuner on my stocker before I put the pipes on. Bike definitely was richer and much more responsive. I have read articles advocating fuel mangers for stock bikes. Probably would have needed to lean out a bunch if hadnt added the pipes and K&Ns. After spending 2 Summers trying to dial in the EFI on my 1500 Tourmaster, I broke the code" Bought a Dynojet A/F Wideband Commander and set my notebook computer between the 2 scoops with the aribox cover off. Did a Road Dyno and noted each throttle position per rpm and the A/F I did months of trial an error or $$$ of Dyno costs in literally 1/2 hour. WEather has prevented me from completion, but I will be Spot On soon. Next, the 2009 gets the same Dial In! I can tell you, with the Catsass, Maxtuner, K&N and DD clutch, the 09 is violent when winding it up, but still, make your shifts early and she is a Tame Lady? LOL

rick

Hi Rick,
I was wondering if you had to start over with your mods again, would you have went with the Yamaha ECM or the Max Speed mod? And what was your biggest bang for the buck addition in your quest for power?
I Cannot change the exhaust system due to local noise regulations, but I'm ok with stealth mode...
Pretty fun bike we have here, just as good a platform for modding as the first generation that's for sure. we just got to wait until the vendors tool up for us! Not much out there yet..
I did notice Yamaha has just listed the Pc5 for use with the v-max.. pretty good, that would clear up a lot of fear related to warrenty questions when using this tuner!

Seeing the PCV offered by Yamaha tipped the scales for me, too. Test riding a BMW K1300S with the factory quickshifter convinced me about a quickshifter, too, so I just put in a PCV with the Evoluzione shifter and I'm playing with it.

Hi Rick,
I was wondering if you had to start over with your mods again, would you have went with the Yamaha ECM or the Max Speed mod? And what was your biggest bang for the buck addition in your quest for power?
I Cannot change the exhaust system due to local noise regulations, but I'm ok with stealth mode...
Pretty fun bike we have here, just as good a platform for modding as the first generation that's for sure. we just got to wait until the vendors tool up for us! Not much out there yet..
I did notice Yamaha has just listed the Pc5 for use with the v-max.. pretty good, that would clear up a lot of fear related to warrenty questions when using this tuner!

Seeing the PCV offered by Yamaha tipped the scales for me, too. Test riding a BMW K1300S with the factory quickshifter convinced me about a quickshifter, too, so I just put in a PCV with the Evoluzione shifter and I'm playing with it.

Thats great news! when you get it set up I would love read a review, possible tips during the install?? I am pretty ignorant to that setup..I'm sure this would help me at the track! I wonder if the adjustable shift light feature could somehow be incorporated with the quickshifter...Now that would give the rider an edge

Last edited:
Back