racing ecu

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
Wow its been a long time since ive been in here, heres the skinny, let me know what ya think..i have an 09, ufo exhaust and air box mod and a k/n filter..thats it...my plan is to find yamahas raceing ecu, ( open up the topend ) install it and a fuel managment system of some sort..( what evers popular ) then put it on local dyno and have it tuned...i get my top end and dyno tune can get rid of pesky lean running....other than some slight surging if you hold throttle right at 2300 rpm or so this SOB goes like a raped ape!!! i cant belive how cheap you can pick up a 2010 -14...

Wow its been a long time since ive been in here, heres the skinny, let me know what ya think..i have an 09, ufo exhaust and air box mod and a k/n filter..thats it...my plan is to find yamahas raceing ecu, ( open up the topend ) install it and a fuel managment system of some sort..( what evers popular ) then put it on local dyno and have it tuned...i get my top end and dyno tune can get rid of pesky lean running....other than some slight surging if you hold throttle right at 2300 rpm or so this SOB goes like a raped ape!!! i cant belive how cheap you can pick up a 2010 -14...

Hi congrats on the Gen 2....did you just pick it up?

As far as the ECU goes, Yamaha no longer make the race ECU and there is a much better option available.

Gurued Gear http://guruedgear.com/gurued-gear-llc/gurued-gear-llc-ecu-re-flash-services/yamaha/v-max-page-3.html?items_per_page=8#.Vp2cNvkrLIU has a GREAT re-flashing service that does way more than remove the speed limiter. It also removes the low end bog by opening the throttle plates much quicker than the factory tune, and it also gets rid of that lean condition around 2.5k rpm and every other annoying fueling issues that are in the stock ECU.

You won't even need a fuel controller after the re-flash.....unless you want to add a quickshifter or some other Dynojet module.

Tim Nash is the owner/tuner he's the best out there.

Tell him Mark from NY sent you. ;)

nah ive had it since 2012, ive heard of tim nash, only good things, im a big beliver in dyno tuning and if i have him reflash my stock ecu he can only flash it according to the info i give him...pipes, intake, ect..to many variables....dyno does so much more.

nah ive had it since 2012, ive heard of tim nash, only good things, im a big beliver in dyno tuning and if i have him reflash my stock ecu he can only flash it according to the info i give him...pipes, intake, ect..to many variables....dyno does so much more.

Yeah you can always refine the tune even better by adding a PCV, with a dyno tune on top.....best of both worlds.

Keep in mind most of what he does cannot be done with just a fuel controller and dyno tune. For instance: top speed limiter removed, throttle by wire restriction removed ( the factory tune prevents the the throttle from opening completely), excess timing retard removed, engine braking reduced, small throttle "twitchyness" is removed.
Plus a bunch of other stuff like individual cylinder mapping that fixes a lean condition present in one of the cylinders.

It really transforms the bike and makes it even more fun to ride.

Anybody that has a re-flash from Tim will tell you it's the best thing they've done to the bike.

ah, youve brought up some points ive forgotten about...( looked in to tims reflash when I first got bike ) but price??? 4..5...600$ thats alot of cabbage..whats a good PCV you would recommend..

Check out this video.....this is the first time Tim took one of his ECU's to the track for testing (stock bike). Frankly though, the "rideability" improvements are just as good as the performance gains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEuyK6t5P90

ive seen it befor,,jay gleason, what a legend....maybe i should go with nash reflash and a good fuel managment system...then dyno..that should work right? what seems to be the popular one now days?

ah, youve brought up some points ive forgotten about...( looked in to tims reflash when I first got bike ) but price??? 4..5...600$ thats alot of cabbage..whats a good PCV you would recommend..

Dynojet has the most popular fuel controller. http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander.aspx?mk=28&mdl=127&yr=1653

The ECU re-flash is not inexpensive......cheaper than the race ecu though and much better. No comparison really.

You will be happier with just a re-flashed ECU over a dyno tune, and it will cost you less. You can always add the Power Commander later if you want.

Ask anyone who's tried both.

The StarVmax site has a lot of good information on the Gen 2. http://www.starvmax.com/

btw, how much of that run time does that racing slick cut off do you think?

thanx alot brother, just the info i was looking for..if i can just break up my love affair with the roadglide a bit ill have it made..lol

thanx alot brother, just the info i was looking for..if i can just break up my love affair with the roadglide a bit ill have it made..lol

Roadglide....hmmm, that's a completely different animal. Much tamer.

I had a Road King for a while a few years back.......it was a pleasure going down the road........but felt like a farm tractor when I gassed it. :biglaugh:

Would have been nice to have both though I guess, I'm always breaking the law on the VMax......it's impossible to resist. The Harley never got me in trouble.

Good luck man......if you have any questions give me a shout.

Mark

Nash Flash for sure! I am sure I can match or beat anyones price on a PC-V from Dynojet when you're ready too. It can work well for that simple adjustment to get your specific combo just right.

i bought it in 2013, had stage 4 screaming eagle 110 put in it befor i picked it up, after market intake and piped also, plus dyno tuned..94hp 116 tourqe..still tame compared to even my 85 max but slides down the road pretty good for a harley..lol....and im thinking we'll talk soon Mr. Morley...

There's two(2) 2009 Vmaxes in my garage. Both have the CAT removed. One has aftermarket pipes. Both have the BigAir Kit with individual K&N air filters installed. I've butt dyno'd the first one til I was tired of trying to smooth the ride. Once it was up on a dyno, the dyno operator claimed he couldn't have gotten the fuel curve any flatter than what I had, and that it'd take him all day to improve the A/F ratio any further, only to net me (maybe) another 1.5-2hp.

When I went to butt dyno'ing the 2nd Gen II, I tried, with no success, to get it to go down the hwy smoothly at any set throttle speed. I gave up and sent it's ECU to Tim Nash. When I got that ECU back in, I set my PC-V map to all zero's and left it on. Went for a ride out the drive and into town.

HOLY FARKIN SH!T! THERE IS ABSOFREAKINLUTELY NO COMPARISON BETWEEN WHAT A WELL TUNED PC-V CAN DO - VS - WHAT A NASH FLASHED ECU WILL DO!!! WORDS CAN NOT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH YOU WOULD LIKE TIM'S REFLASH AFTER YOU EXPERIENCE IT.

- - - - - - WORTH EVERY PENNY - - - - - -

If I could shout that any louder, I would. ....just sayin'....

Back