Radials for 18" wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storloc

Reaction score
I will be installing a set of Carrozzia wheels soon and will be needing a set of tires for them. Knowing that the VMax is a heavy bike I dont want to pick up something thats going to wear out prematurely or be unsafe. Any suggestions from those that might already be in the same boat I will soon be in?

Thanks guys!

I have an Metzeler ME880 in back and a Metzeler Roadtec Z6 in front and I think it's a good set up.

Mike

I have a Dunlop D205 110/80-18 on the stock front wheel and a Dunlop D220 170/60-18 on the Kosman rear wheel. This is the only source of the combination I was looking for (110/80 and 170/60). These are ZR rated. The 180/55 rear tires wouldn't fit in my swingarm with the Kosman wheel. I had to do the washer swap even with the 170/60 tire. You have a wider front wheel so you can go to the 120/70 front. It is just over one inch shorter than the stock combo so it will look funny with the fender so far above the tire. Many people use spacers to lower the fender. The 17" wheels have much better choices of tires but I do not like the way they look (too much space between the tire and fender both front and rear).

Hmm...I was under the impression radials could be had that matched the stock height, both front and rear, with these wheels. I also thought the ME880's were all bias ply tires so thats a new one on me.

I am running a 120/70-18 Metzler Roadtech Z6 front and a 180/55-18 Metzler ME880 rear and love the combo. Really does well in wet & dry conditions (with the wet summer we have had I have tested the wet handling way too much this summer). I have a friend with the same wheels you have that runs a similar setup (he has a 200 rear with a notched and braced swingarm).

I have a Dunlop D205 110/80-18 on the stock front wheel and a Dunlop D220 170/60-18 on the Kosman rear wheel. This is the only source of the combination I was looking for (110/80 and 170/60). These are ZR rated. The 180/55 rear tires wouldn't fit in my swingarm with the Kosman wheel. I had to do the washer swap even with the 170/60 tire. You have a wider front wheel so you can go to the 120/70 front. It is just over one inch shorter than the stock combo so it will look funny with the fender so far above the tire. Many people use spacers to lower the fender. The 17" wheels have much better choices of tires but I do not like the way they look (too much space between the tire and fender both front and rear).

They stopped making 170 60 18 . Now they are 160 60 18 or 180 55 17 and no more D220 They make a road smart tire now

It looks like the only choice now for radial 18" rear tires is 160/60 and 180/55. They are both very close to the same height as the stock 150/90 (less than .2 inches either direction). For the front there is 110/80 and 120/70. No one makes a radial 110/90 like stock. The 110/80 is about .87 inches shorter than stock and the 120/70 is 1.19 inches shorter.

As I said, the 180/55 doesn't fit a stock swingarm and Kosman wheel and the 170/60 required the washer swap. Will have to go to the 160/60 for my next rear tire.

Hmm...I was under the impression radials could be had that matched the stock height, both front and rear, with these wheels. I also thought the ME880's were all bias ply tires so thats a new one on me.

There are ME880's available in radial, just look at the Metzler main site for mc tires and pull up the PDF "cut sheets"...or just look in the tire size, if its got an "R" in it it's a radial...

I ran an Avon Venom R 180/55-18 on an RC rim 5.5" x 18" rim with the same offset (from centerline) as the stock rim
with no clearance issues

you can make front fender spacers easily and it looks fine, your gonna need them even with a 18" front,

you can buy a speedo drive from boxxenstopp that's made for 17" with a 120/70-17/ but I'm using the same setup on my 120/70-18 and my speedo is within 2%, the drive is about $50

As for the heigth issue, on of the main beneifits of radial construction is shorter sidewalls, it's very rare to find any radial tire in anything higher than a 70 aspect ratio unless it's a very narrow tire......

If you haven't already bought these rims, don't, buy a set of 17's instead, or at least out back, there are no quality "sportbike" type tire available for 18" rear unless you opt for a narrow sport touring tire in 160 or maybe 170 width,

If you want something wider than that then you have to buy a "cruiser" type tire or go with a 17" wheel,

I'm running an avaon Cobra 200-55-18 (notched swingarm) and it's nearly 2 inches taller than stock, about like doing a pumpkin swap and dropped about 400 rpms off the rpms at 80 mph, and it'll still stand straight up from 35-40 with no clutch, just chop, wack and hang on....i'll prolly go with a shorter 200-50 next time tho..

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/...eType=MOTO&menu_item=/products/catalog/custom

I personally think the 18's look better and probably handle just fine. I have a bone stock 2007 v max. 6000 miles bone stock. time for a new rear tire for me (brakes too)...only two roll on burnouts and not that long. i ride the fuck out of this bike. i am a canyon carving freak and come from road racing. i am a very aggressive rider. i am the only person in my rider group that has a cruiser (besides our 60 year old fearless leader..another story in itself). i smoke sport bikes all day long but if they know what they are doing i don't stand a chance but i am not far behind. everyone says i look like an out of control mad man in the corners and the straights. i love this bike. i bought it to slow down...yea right. it flexxes, wobbles, spins, etc. my pegs are worn off, my center stand is squared off, my exhaust guards are sqaured off PICS TO COME i'm at work but wanted to comment on the tires. i have had not one issue with these stock tires. i check tire pressure every time before i ride (36 36). the suspension is mush (i have the front at higher psi right now and the rears on 4), the brakes are non existent, engine braking is my friend and i pray that tranny and shifter mechanism holds up. all the mods i could do to this bike (and i will) will not get me that much faster at all...there will be no ground clearance for it...but the tires have amazed me. i am sure there are way better out there and i am getting them. the me880s are next on the list. and when i go to the carrozzerias, cause i am hooked by the way, i will have 18" me880s or the like. 17" rims, stock rims, or 18" rims it don't matter. this bike is fun bone stock...and even more fun after you tweek on it. get what you wnat and don't think you are gonna outride the tires (unless u r drag racin). in my opinion...i don't know what the best would be for me right yet...i would need to ride this thing in so many different stages of tune that it would be a long time where what i said past this would even matter. but for what i have it for the 18 carrazz's are what i am getting and the tire selection for them is just fine with me and they ARE quality...all the tires for this bike and its modded wheels are quality IMHO.:punk:

I like to sell 18" rear and 19" front when someone pics a set i can get that combo in. This lets them get matched sets that were originally designed for the V-rod. Everything fits nearly perfect and speedo is right that way.

Sean

Ok so the rear isn't a problem by running a 180/55-18 (probably go with a metz 880). The front will most likely have to be a 120/70-18 due to the /80 being too narrow (probably go with the metz Z6). It sounds like the only issues being fender spacing and speedo discrepency. Anyone have pics of this setup on the front, I'd like to see with and without spacers if possible? Also how far off would the mph be exactly with the 120/70-18 Z6?

Thanks alot guys for all the responses, this is new territory for me and I'm finding this information invaluable.

Check out my pics in the garage, I am running a 180/70-18 and have pics with stock fender and an aftermarket one. Never did have to put spacers in. I will tell you that it will overdrive the speedo by ~6%.

The spacing isnt that bad, I had it imagined much worse. I was thinking of buying a lowered fork brace but dont know how much drop I need. So far all I've seen are 1" drops and not all that good looking imo.

I used to run a Metzeler ME880 200/50/18 and and Roadtec Z6 120/70/18, this is a good combo. At the the time they didnt offer a 120/70/18 Me880, But it is now available in a radial .

Also I see Bridgestone has a matching 18" cruiser radial. it is a G851/850 tthey offer a 180/55/18 and a 120/70/18.

Bridgestones are exactly what I have on my Carrozzerias right now,

I have no complaints.

G851/850 180/55/18 and a 120/70/18.

Want to thank everyone for all the replies! I ordered the Bridgestone G851/850 Exedras (180/55-18 & 120/70-18). Now I just need to find a fork brace that has a 1" drop that I can stand the looks of. :bang head:

Want to thank everyone for all the replies! I ordered the Bridgestone G851/850 Exedras (180/55-18 & 120/70-18). Now I just need to find a fork brace that has a 1" drop that I can stand the looks of. :bang head:

Go to boxenstopp, they have a decent looking one with a 1" drop. It is from Georg Deget out of Germany.

I actually ordered that one right after I posted here yesterday. Nice bunch of guys at Boxenstopp, although one of them was a little hard to understand with his accent.

I actually ordered that one right after I posted here yesterday. Nice bunch of guys at Boxenstopp, although one of them was a little hard to understand with his accent.

Hey That was me you talked to. LOL!

I'm not affiliated with Boxenstopp. I'm just one of his customers.
He was putting a new Marathon on the front of my Max, and I was just hanging out there for a bit. And he asked me to help, with the language issue.
Understanding Joe over the phone is a little tricky.
But he is a super nice guy and takes good care of his customers. I'm sure you'll like the brace. But If it's not want you want, I'm sure Joe will take it back, no questions asked.
I was sitting there when he boxed it up and got it ready to go. Same day you ordered it, he shipped it.

Thanks for your help on the phone. I'm sure it will be exactly what I'm looking for. Thank Joe for me if you would, thats some prompt shipping! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back