Radials

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having trouble finding any definitive answers on radials sizes with a stock swingarm...

Will a 120/something/18 up front be okay? or stick with 110?

Will a 190/50 or 55/17 rear fit?

If I get a 17" rim I would hate to order the wrong size rubber

I have the Metzler 120/70zr 18 on the front. It fits good. Slightly smaller diameter. To fill the gap, I added a couple bushings and longer bolts , to lower the fender about a 1/4 inch. My rear swingarm is modified, so I can't advise on that.

Having trouble finding any definitive answers on radials sizes with a stock swingarm...

Stock front rim I'm guessing? A 120 bias is no problem. A 120 radial will fit but is not really recommended for the rim width.

Can't say on the rear. Depends on how much offset is built into the wheel and if the swingarm is stock, offset, notched..... I'm using a COO rear wheel, swingarm offset to the left, and could squeeze a 190 in there with very little room to spare. Running a 180 right now. Nice thing about it is that I can squeeze in the 180 without removing the differential or deflating the tire. No way that is going to happen with a 190.

I've got the 110/80-18 on the front of mine, I tried ordering a 120 or 130/70-18 but it was too wide for my 85 rim... Even the 110/80 was a bitch to mount.. My swingarm is also modified so I can't help on clearance but I can tell you a 190/50-17 is quite a bit shorter than stock which will make it seem quicker but also will rev more on the highway... Not sure about the 55 series because that should make it taller, there are some pretty good online tire size calculators so just find one you like and start plugging in numbers... I've heard of some guys fitting a 190 on a stock swingarm but if your running the right width rim I just don't see how its possible... I have a 200/50-18 on the rear of mine and mine is notched about as far as you can go...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

The 120 fits the stock rim but not a good fit. I did regret not having a 110 available.

190 with a modified swingarm should not be an issue.
Base on my readings 190/55 will be perfect on a 6" rim while on the 180/55 will be better on a 5.5".
190/50 looks more fat and will be better on a 6".
I can get some pic of a 120 on stock rim and a 190/50 on a 5.5" if it helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys, more details: its a stock front rim so I guess 110/80 should be the way to go...
The rear rim is a 5.5" wide 17" kosman... stock swing arm.
I was hoping to squeeze the fattest tire I can on the back. no clue of the offset. I thought I read a 190 is good with a stock swingarm I was hoping to verify

180/55 on a 17" WHEEL here. Lots of room between the stock swing arm and tire. I think a 190 would fit. 110/80 on the stock front gives me equal heiights. Both tires lower than stock. My Venturre pumpkin brings things closer to stock.
+1 on 120 to wide for a stock wheel. On a budget, the used Kosman is a good option. And, the way the bolt together is made, the wheel could be shimmed to the left to cancel offset. One of these days I'll check the offset as it is now. My old eyeball thinks it's clorer to center than stock.
Steve-o

Thanks guys, more details: its a stock front rim so I guess 110/80 should be the way to go...
The rear rim is a 5.5" wide 17" kosman... stock swing arm.
I was hoping to squeeze the fattest tire I can on the back. no clue of the offset. I thought I read a 190 is good with a stock swingarm I was hoping to verify

Yea stick with the 110 up front, mine handles real nice :) A 190 on a 5.5" wheel is fine and I'm sure I read somewhere that it fits but have no personal experience... Even if it rubbed slightly you could shave the tire slightly to make it work I'm betting.. Good luck! :)

I'll stop calling it a rim lol

So with my new wheel, if I mount a 190 and find it rubs the stock swing arm, could I simply do the washer swap? or is it more complicated than that?

And by the pics it looks to be welded not the bolt version I think

I'll stop calling it a rim lol

So with my new wheel, if I mount a 190 and find it rubs the stock swing arm, could I simply do the washer swap? or is it more complicated than that?

And by the pics it looks to be welded not the bolt version I think

Assuming that someone hasn't done the washer swap already then yes you can do that... That's why its a popular fix because its easy :)

Should be ok then, washer is on the right side since my 170 metz 880 fit fine.

I'm thinking Michelin pilot road 3's. 110/80/18 and 190/55/17

I really like the Z6's danny, but that squiggly line down the center of the front tires' tread makes me nervous. I was always told to try and avoid tires with that center line...I'm not sure if there's any truth to that though.
Z6's rear would look great on a vmax!

I was running a Michelin Pilot Power 180 / 55 / 17 with a stock swingarm , no issues. It did not have enough clearance for the 190 w/o rubbing . Also , a 190 requires a 6 " wide rim , as a 5 1/2 " rim doesn't allow the tire to fully take advantage of its full rubber patch , especially when leaned over.

You can look up sportbikes rear wheel / tire specs and they will be using 6 " rear rims for a 190 . I would suggest using a 180 with a 5 1/2 " wide rear wheel as you get the full contact patch available. :punk:

Here is a pic of my Shinko 120/70zr-18 on Carrozzeria wheel. The fender is not shimmed (yet) at 1.5". I'll make up some shims this winter to bring it closer, somewhere in the 1/4" range.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 39
Another rear tire option is Pirelli Corsa 180/60/17 which has nearly identical diameter as stock rear tire. Note this absolutely would not clear my stock swingarm even with washer swap however this is on a 6" Kosman rim, maybe on a 5.5" rim it might have cleared.

Attachments

• 003a.jpg
    003a.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 28
I never had a problem running the Avon Storm ST 120/70-18 up front on the stock wheel. Fitment seemed to be fine as far as my knowledge could tell. Didn't seem to be "wrapped" to tight

With the RC rear wheel from UFO, (I don't know how wide it is) I ran a 180/55-18 with no issues or washer swap using stock swing arm..

I'm partial to Avons, have had very good luck with them. Stick well, handle well, and wear well.
The front is one of the few I've run that doesn't start doing weird shit due to cupping before I get the chance to use it all up. These run true right down to almost bald.

With after market wheels and notched swing arm.
Avon Storm ST 120/70-18 its a sport touring tire.
Avon Cobra 200/55-18 cruiser tire, if I had it to do over would have gone with a 17" rear. There are no sport tires in 18" over about 160mm wide last time I looked.

The RC wheels are as heavy as stock if not more. Shoulda bought Cazz's

With the 200 in back I have to deflate the tire and loosen the rear pumpkin bolts and its still a fight to get it in and out.

Here is a pic of my Shinko 120/70zr-18 on Carrozzeria wheel. The fender is not shimmed (yet) at 1.5". I'll make up some shims this winter to bring it closer, somewhere in the 1/4" range.

Lowe's specialty fastener and bolt bins usually have the nylon bushings in various sizes and lengths that will space the fender nicely.

Back