Radio Shack Not Carrying Our Needle Shims Anymore???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Thought I'd be smart and stock some of the #4 washers from my local Radio Shack. I was at the store and couldn't find anything so I asked for assistance. Guess Radio Shack's cutting products from their shelves like everyone else has done. I was told none of the stores will have them. If this is true, we might want to check our local stores and get any left over stock... Bummer...

I still have the washers used by dynojet. Not all that much and should mail in a regular envelope. Cheaper then driving anywhere to go get them.

Sean

i'd pick the dynojet ones over the radioshack ones

Grumpy, you looking to have some on hand or are you needing some shims? I might have some Paul's shims and some Dynojets. Not sure on the sizes but could easily mic them. like Sean said, just an envelope. Patmax

The shims you are looking for at radio shack come in an "assortment package". When I asked for them, the clerk told me he didn't have any, so I looked myself and found the package of them in one of the drawers. I think you would be better off getting them from Sean, due to the fact that the quality of the ones at radio shack is poor...I had to file some pretty heavy burrs off of mine before I could use them. Not a fun thing to do because of the tiny size of them.

I was just looking to have some spares. No biggy, I guess. All my current bikes are pretty well set up. I may move the 0.155 main jets to Strafer some day but I believe the shims will stay the same there... Thanx for filling me in on where to get better parts....:biglaugh:

Probably a buck with postage will get 4 of them (each one is a half adjustment) to your door.

Thanx Sean, but we were out and I stopped by another Radio Shack and got 2 bags. Then there was an Ace Hardware next door so I got 16 more. I'll just size em, bag em and tag em for Tech Days. Eventually I want to have one here at my house. I have a compound we will be able to work in and drive my PITA neighbor NUTS:rofl_200:

Cool but I now have 60 washers total in separated bags 0.020, 0.022, 0.024, 0.030, 0.032 and 0.035... I should be set for many more project VMax's:biglaugh:
All that being said and done, I sure hope I don't run go buy a Gen II.:rofl_200:

Hey Npthayer,
yes, one bag will do all 4 carbs. As SpecOps13 says in the previous post - using a micrometer measure the thickness of each washer and seperate them based on thickness size. I used a combination of 2 washers to get to the 0.038" needle shim I wanted. Keep in mind, with a needle shim added, you'll have to correct / modify the plactic sloted cap that holds the needle spring in or it will bind the needle.... not good. I used 4 identical o-rings (need to dig what sizes they were - had that info in a seperate post in the carb thread last Nov) to shim the cap up when snugged - so it wouldn't bind the needle.
Hope this helps.

I was looking for them a while back just to buy some to have & the guy told me that they stopped selling them a long time ago, so now I have no idea where to get any:confused2::ummm::ummm:

You can still get washers at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware. You may need 2 to get the thickness you want. certainly no more than 0.040 Max. Take a micrometer... They were #6 stainless washers, I'm fairly sure...

Thanks Dave, I'll look into it, we have a Lowe's Android a Home Depot. Close by.
By the way, do you know where I ca n fi d a thin wall 18mm. Spark plug socket that will work? Frgo got one at A e hardware but we ron't have one here, I bought a. Couple from Lowe's & pep boys but they don't fit &I really need one.
Dave.:punk:

I got a bag of those thin RS washers as well as a bag of the EGT needle shims.

The EGT shims are a much more precision product. They are flat all the way across, while the RS shims often will have the edges turned up which will cause them to show up thicker on one side than the other. For me, this caused my diaphrams to bind. No such problem with the EGT shims.

...and yes a single bag will do a carbs. I believe you end up with three carbs with two .020 shims and one with one.030 and a .010.

Back