Rain

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qball50

Reaction score
Rant on:

Wow!! I can't believe it. I went away to Germany on July 9th. Got back to the states on the 21st. Ordered me a 2014 Vmax on Friday, July 26th. It arrived 10 days later. Got to ride it one time. It has 20 miles on it and it is sitting in my warehouse at my office.

It's been raining almost everyday since I got my new Max. Unfreakin believable!!

Rant off.
29.gif

lol.... I feel your pain, I picked my new 2010 up (in 2010) and got stuck in a massive thunderstorm on a brand new bike (5 miles or so) I was pissed!

That does suck , I got lucky. I got mine Christmas eve last year and rode it Christmas day, and the next , and the next and really all winter. She's in her second season now and has 10000 + miles . You'll get your time to ride !

Fair weather riders! :rofl_200: I personally don't go out the rain on purpose. Here in Houston though the saying is, "If you don't like the weather, hang around and in 10 minutes it will change." If it's not a torrential downpour, I'm riding. :biglaugh: I just use my leaf blower to dry it in the garage when I get back.

I don't know if it's the abbreviated riding season but rain or shine, if the urge hits, I'm on the road :) Just means a little more cleaning time when I get back.

Fair weather riders! :rofl_200: I personally don't go out the rain on purpose. Here in Houston though the saying is, "If you don't like the weather, hang around and in 10 minutes it will change." If it's not a torrential downpour, I'm riding. :biglaugh: I just use my leaf blower to dry it in the garage when I get back.

I hear ya. I have been using leaf blowers to dry my vehicles for years. I just can't see myself taking my brand new Max out in the rain. Nice avatar BTW. I guess that gets other members to stare. It gets me to.................. lol!!

if i had a 2014 brand new max parked at my place the onley thing that could stop me riding it would be if the gas stations were on strike and didn't have any fuel in . no rain, no wind not below zero temp could stop me LOL

lol.... I feel your pain, I picked my new 2010 up (in 2010) and got stuck in a massive thunderstorm on a brand new bike (5 miles or so) I was pissed!

The one thing about that for me would be being on a very powerful bike that I am unfamiliar with on now limited traction.

I DID ride all the way home from a convention in the rain three days after I had gotten my Honda Shadow (75 mile trip) but that was not all that bad where as the Shadows are rather weak in the power department, and quite friendly.

Woona... I have almost 1500 miles on her so far. I am fine with her on dry, but I am still not as familiar with her to feel fully comfortable with her in the wet.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but that is better in my mind than exceeding my limits.

I haven't riden for while. I'm located in the Philippines and it started to rain everywhere. That weather really got crazy!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The one thing about that for me would be being on a very powerful bike that I am unfamiliar with on now limited traction.

I DID ride all the way home from a convention in the rain three days after I had gotten my Honda Shadow (75 mile trip) but that was not all that bad where as the Shadows are rather weak in the power department, and quite friendly.

Woona... I have almost 1500 miles on her so far. I am fine with her on dry, but I am still not as familiar with her to feel fully comfortable with her in the wet.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but that is better in my mind than exceeding my limits.

The bike is POWERFUL but only as powerful as your right wrist makes it. :biglaugh: The tires are so much better on the bike with having radials and wider for a better "Foot Print" on wet pavement, it is really stable. An the bike has antilock brakes which make it all around safer. Just slow down as you would in your cage. Stay away from spray from 18 wheelers!! If you are going to "Tour" at all on your bike you'll get familiar with rain. :thumbs up:

The bike is POWERFUL but only as powerful as your right wrist makes it. :biglaugh: The tires are so much better on the bike with having radials and wider for a better "Foot Print" on wet pavement, it is really stable. An the bike has antilock brakes which make it all around safer. Just slow down as you would in your cage. Stay away from spray from 18 wheelers!! If you are going to "Tour" at all on your bike you'll get familiar with rain. :thumbs up:

The bike is POWERFUL but only as powerful as your right wrist makes it.
Takes too little wrist movement to get it to where it would be breaking loose. Still wanna get more familiar.

The tires are so much better on the bike with having radials and wider for a better "Foot Print" on wet pavement, it is really stable. An the bike has antilock brakes which make it all around safer. Just slow down as you would in your cage.
That sounds like the 2nd Gen you're talking about. My bike is an 03, a 1st Gen bike. It has the cheap-assed Dunlop 404 tires still, and no anti-lock brakes.

I just need to become more familiar, that's all. I just need to keep riding
pinkiehappy.png

No rain for me I can wait I live 4/10 of a mile on gravel dirt (mud) road been stuck in rain twice in my life .One time in 1986 I waited under an overpass for 4 and half hours for road to dry. I would clean my 85 vmax with cue tips and my wife's tooth brush .

The rain may subside in my neck of the woods this weekend. I can see an extended ride on my new bike this weekend if the weather holds out. I can't wait. I just hope the forecast is accurate.

Me I'm not happy when I get caught in the rain, if it raining hard those rain drops can hurt.
Enjoy the new gen 2. I was looking about buying/ trading a car for used gen 2. A trade for my 944 turbo that's modded up. I test road the gen 2 bike a few days ago low miles on the bike. But has bike did not seem that fast to me. I'm not sure why, like it had around 100 hp or just over that. I thought the gen 2 was close 200 hp. The guy really likes my car after he went for a ride. But after I road his and comparing to my gen 1 seem faster than his.

I like the way the gen 2 felt in the turns. Could there be something wrong with the seller gen 2 vmax.

Takes too little wrist movement to get it to where it would be breaking loose. Still wanna get more familiar.

That sounds like the 2nd Gen you're talking about. My bike is an 03, a 1st Gen bike. It has the cheap-assed Dunlop 404 tires still, and no anti-lock brakes.

I just need to become more familiar, that's all. I just need to keep riding
pinkiehappy.png

I'm OK with the Gen 1 in the rain on some budget Shinko tourmasters. It's my commuter so I'm riding it most days rain or shine.

It does take some getting used to, and isn't near as settled as my old 750 that's for sure. If you want to practice your throttle control in the dry, practice getting moving without upsetting the front suspension. The bike should gently rise up, and the forks should stay mid-travel.

It's surprisingly hard to do on these bikes, but certainly possible. Attaining that sort of throttle control will help loads in the wet.

Enjoy the new gen 2. I was looking about buying/ trading a car for used gen 2. But has bike did not seem that fast to me. I'm not sure why, like it had around 100 hp or just over that. I thought the gen 2 was close 200 hp. But after I road his and comparing to my gen 1 seem faster than his.

I like the way the gen 2 felt in the turns. Could there be something wrong with the seller gen 2 vmax.

It sure sounds like it. I had a '93 Max. Even though I've only put 20 miles on my new bike, I can easily tell a huge difference between my '93 and my 2014. Did that bike have any obvious mods such as aftermarket pipes, etc? It sounds to me like you avoided a bad deal.

I'm OK with the Gen 1 in the rain on some budget Shinko tourmasters. It's my commuter so I'm riding it most days rain or shine.

It does take some getting used to, and isn't near as settled as my old 750 that's for sure. If you want to practice your throttle control in the dry, practice getting moving without upsetting the front suspension. The bike should gently rise up, and the forks should stay mid-travel.

It's surprisingly hard to do on these bikes, but certainly possible. Attaining that sort of throttle control will help loads in the wet.

Lots of practice, and tailoring the bike to suit me will help also. (radials, tweaked suspension, chain drive conversion, ect...)

I just gotta keep riding, and make every ride an opportuinity to become that much smoother with this bike. It is a COMPLETELY different beast compared to my last bike, and all in all, I will NOT go back
pinkiehappy.png

Back