rattle in speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry barker

Reaction score
Has anyone had a rattle in the speedometer? I have a rattle that is coming from instument cluster area, and I have narrowed down to the speedometer. Headlight and internals are good. Really not much up there to rattle. Believe me it is hard to keep the bike upright and coasting on my gravel drive while holding every part trying to isolate a rattle. Thanks for your replys.:confused2:

:punk: Hey, Spray some silicon luibricant in both ends of the cable at the connections. It will quiet right down, Spurs

Don't you have a loose screw somewhere?... :rofl_200::biglaugh:

That may cause the rattle...

Put the bike on the center stand and hit the front tire head on with a rubber mallet........you might be able to isolate the noise by doing that, if it is a loose screw/bolt or nut.

Thanks, i tried this and found out that my cooling fan blade rattles. The good news the rattle seems to be getting louder, things are always easier to find once they BREAK!

Excellent idea to isolate a rattle! I have developed a rattle myself over the summer, and will give it a try to see if I can sort it out. Nothing worse than a annoying rattle when riding...makes you think your on a Harley! JK!
Put the bike on the center stand and hit the front tire head on with a rubber mallet........you might be able to isolate the noise by doing that, if it is a loose screw/bolt or nut.

It actually works better with 2 people doing this, I use my wife, she can hear a penny fall :rofl_200:

I would replace fan ASAP, if it should break or come off it could cause damage to radiator and fans are much cheaper than radiators...just my .02 cents.

Thanks, i tried this and found out that my cooling fan blade rattles. The good news the rattle seems to be getting louder, things are always easier to find once they BREAK!

hadn't thought about that, good point. The fan blade has at least 1/8" play in and out. Maybe the manual has a tolerance for end play. thanks

After 2 hours of removing riding, removing riding:bang head:I finally decided to see if the noise might be brake related. Sure enough, the anti-rattle clips were not installed in between the caliper cavity, it was binding on the shoulder and not connected to the pad. I guess I need to fire my mechanic, man I hate these low budget operations!!!

i had a rattle in my conector at the base where the tire is. took it apart cleaned it put it back in and no noise. i know its a little late but hey for anyone who gets something similar

My worm and sector gear at the speedometer sending unit got dry and made a clicking noise. This part can not really be rebuilt. Had to clean it up real good and pack grease using a wheel bearing packer. Seems to be working.

Back