Re COP's & RX2n

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxMidnight

Reaction score
Before fitting a set of Gannon's excellent looms the rev counter on my RX2n behaved as all good rev counters should. It receives its signal from the original (Grey) tacho feed wire.

Since fitting the COP's it will double read intermittently, sometimes just a quick 'blip', other times for quite a few seconds. There does not appear to be any pattern to this and it can occur at any revs.

I have tried moving the looms into different position but this has not made any difference.

I'm guessing that the rev counter is picking up spurious spikes which need to be suppressed.

I have read that inserting a 1 mega ohm resistor can suppress such spikes but don't know if this is in parallel or series or indeed if that is a load of boll*cks!

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience of similar conditions (RX2n or not) and any suggestion on a fix.

Steve,

I have been recently told that even though the resistance might be almost the same from cop to cop/ part number etc . That some of the coils actually have a delay built into them. I have not confirmed this, however I will do some more digging and ask more questions from the guy that told me this and see if he has any documentaion to back this.

G

Does it mean there could be some difficulties plugging a digital speedo with the COPS ?
I was planning to get a Koso DB-02 (I guess similar wiring than the RX2N) next year.

Gannon, thanks.
Any further information would be appreciated.
Not sure what your contact means by 'built in delay' - I would have thought that the spark needs to occur at the correct time!
The only other thing I can think of is that it needs time to regenerate before the next spark is due, but that is true of any coil.

Michael - My guess is that it could be susceptible but I guess that the only way to test this out would be to try one. :ummm:

Steve,
The delay this guy was talking about was or has to be very very minimal, only testing with an occiliscope could probably detect it. I will try to ask him today about.

Thanks G

Just thinking, those speedo are usually used on bikes with COPS.
Why on the max (with cops) there could be a difference ?

Thanks for that - I have already had a butchers there and from what I read there are issues with rev counters in general.
One other Maxxer reported the same problem but there wasn't ant conclusion to the thread. DOH!
The UK importer is giving me support and has e-mailed Taiwan and has also given me a name in Koso Europe to pester.

I'm building up a 'things to try' list but posted the question as info on spike suppression is very scant.
If someone here has been down this route before me they might be able to suggest some starting values for resistors or the fitting of diodes etc.

The bike is off the road as the weather is, to use a metrological term, shite so I don't anticipate doing much before the new year.

Once again thanks for the suggestion and if anyone else want to chip in...............?

Back