Ready to ride!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
What's wrong with this picture?

Attachments

• AAAA mcy shirt oh-no.jpg
    AAAA mcy shirt oh-no.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Who the f rides in flip flops or sandals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be riding (for maybe 15 miles) the Battlestar bike in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals today.

Technically he isn't riding yet. Maybe, hopefully, his gear will be added before riding

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Those glasses don't look like they have UV protection. He could go blind if he looks into the sun while riding.

Those glasses don't look like they have UV protection. He could go blind if he looks into the sun while riding.

Hah, a good one! I was buying a tire & having it mounted, at the local shop, this guy pulls-up, and dismounts from his H-D, a pretty bike, but when I saw him, I figured, "why the ^%&#!!* is he dressed like that and riding a motorcycle?"

I forgot about the UV rays and the need for protection from them, when I was considering his lack of protection.

My dad and brother lived in Edgewater Florida back in the 90s, so I've seen a lot of shorts and flip flops on guys ridding Harleys in that area. They both had Harleys and I'm sure they did the same thing. Don't think I've ever seen a Goldwing rider in flip flops though.

Man I saw too many cases of bad trauma not to go out with my gear on. One time I had a group of paramedic students in the ER and they brought two scooter riders in one after the other one was a retired cop. It was $10,000 to cross the threshold of the trauma room, it was a level 1 Trauma Center.

AGATT is something I try to follow, because I know the results from not being ready for the slide/impact after falling-off your bike.

I've had two serious bike accidents involving my motorcycle vs. an auto, neither my fault, both times the drivers were cited. One was going to work on fire/rescue, and one was coming from work on fire/rescue. Each one put me out of work for 2-1/2 months before I could resume my firefighting duties. For treatments to help me heal after the first, (second & third-degree burns) I took almost 30 hours of hyperbaric medicine. Anyone know that Michael Jackson did that to try to help him heal from his cosmetic surgery, probably for his nose that seems to have been a problem in healing? One of the tabloids had a sneaked pic of the single-gloved one lying in what appears to be a transparent coffin, getting his high-pressure 02 treatment. It's a German device, I had my treatments in one just-like that. My hands and one knee were what needed treatments. It's been > 30 years since that and my hands still get itchy when I see something that spurs my instincts for self-preservation. The areas where I had my significant trauma get blotchy in color, and my palms itch, like when your leg or arm 'goes to-sleep.'

If I was rich I would have one of those 02 chambers in my home, in a room designed just for it with a huge tv to watch through the canopy. Since you're getting five-times the oxygen % you receive in the atmosphere, and then it's delivered under-pressure, you super-saturate your body with oxygen, promoting tissue regeneration. The MD who treated me made my progress a case study component in a published, presented research paper he delivered at a seminar. So, I 'made-history,' or at-least was included in a medical research paper.

The wife and I just saw the Mission Impossible Fallout movie, and we liked it quite a bit, but then, we both like Tom Cruise as an actor. The motorcycle scenes started my palms itching, and I told my wife, "anyone who tried to ride like that against traffic would last about five seconds before they shared grille-space with numerous summer bugs!" My palms started itching, and I just kept saying to myself, "it's just a movie, they're only stunts," but even writing about it starts the itching all-over my palms. If you like action scenes, on motorcycles, go see it. We saw it on IMAX, so a tall, wide wrap-around screen. They had it available in 3-D too, but I don't really care for it, but it might be a good movie for the exception, since I know what's happening now.

Hate to say that I am guilty of this. Even after I was creamed by a kid in a truck. I ride in shorts and sandals 90% of the time.. I will put on sneakers if I plan on going any distant though. Would pass out from heat exhaustion middle of ride in full riding gear down here.

Sneakers are quick to shed in an accident, and offer nearly-no foot/ankle protection.

I don't ride as-much June-August, but I do use a mesh jacket, long pants/jeans and riding boots. I know the road to recovery, and with distracted drivers and road rage it's just not a good move to not-wear the gear. Summer gloves too. And, your eye protection! (Redbone)

Just recently heard about mesh jackets. Borrowed my neighbors and I'm most deffinately getting one. Last summer I would wear my leather jacket no matter how hot it was. The mesh helps a ton to stay cool and protected.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I bought the first model Joe Rocket that was available. I still like it best, though I have a Fieldsheer, much-newer model. The Joe Rocket flows more air.

I also have a Joe Rocket Sonic but it's not what you would consider a mesh. It does have a zip out panel that reveals mesh section from the wrist running under the arm and widening out to about 6"-7" from the pit area to waist. In hot temps (90*+) and humid it is too hot when sitting but once moving it becomes acceptable in these hot temps. Since I don't have a lot of city traffic to deal with I'm not sitting at a light very much or for very long since there is a not a big city near me, just miles of beautiful and cool forests and am surrounded by the Great Lakes which are generally very cooling.
I have never been down on a motorcycle but have seen enough of the after affects from my brother and friends to know I have been extremely lucky.

I Dress for the possibility of a problem. A mesh summer jacket was the best thing I bought for summer riding. I always have riding boots on. if it's sweltering I'll wear a half helmet. But feel much safer in a full helmet. Gagers are everywhere here now. On vacation, driving distracted and dangerous. Weekends are the worst. Later at night mid-week I love getting on the road and having it mostly to myself.

Back