Rear axle washer location?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Marauder03, Mar 22, 2020.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2020 #1

Marauder03

Marauder03

Marauder03

Hi, I took my rear tire off yesterday and when I removed it a washer fell on the floor, I’m not positive where it came from. There are 2 washers and I have one after the brake caliper bracket and the other behind the nut on the driveshaft side, I’m doubting myself as far as the exact location and I don’t want to ride it until I’m positive where they go. The manual is not showing me exactly where they go and where he diagrams I’ve found are not helping as well. Thanks for any help.

2. Mar 22, 2020 #2

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Probably between the driveshaft/differential splines for seating the rear wheel, and the rear wheel itself. It's then "inside" the swingarm to rear wheel spline, and is commonly-used to provide a bit more clearance for a wide-profile tire/wheel.

There was just another question on-here about a new 18" wheel being put on a Gen 1 but the owner said he was having a rub of the wheel on the swingarm. This 'washer-position swap' is what I recommended to him.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 12:21 AM
  3. Mar 22, 2020 #3

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

The proper/stock position of the washer is between the caliper bracket and the shoulder of the axle.

If you have an aftermarket wheel/tire combo that has interference issues with the swingarm, some guys do the "washer swap" to provide additional clearance. The washer is placed between the left side of the wheel and the differential.

4. Mar 23, 2020 at 7:23 AM #4

one2dmax

one2dmax

one2dmax

The thick washer part with small lip fits into the seal of the wheel (with lip facing inward). There is another washer used between the brake mount and swingarm that the shoulder of the axle fits against (as has been mentioned). This washer can sometimes be swapped between the wheel and differential if you need to get the wheel over to the right some to clear a larger tire (again has been mentioned).

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted