Rear axle washer location?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marauder03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I took my rear tire off yesterday and when I removed it a washer fell on the floor, I’m not positive where it came from. There are 2 washers and I have one after the brake caliper bracket and the other behind the nut on the driveshaft side, I’m doubting myself as far as the exact location and I don’t want to ride it until I’m positive where they go. The manual is not showing me exactly where they go and where he diagrams I’ve found are not helping as well. Thanks for any help.

Probably between the driveshaft/differential splines for seating the rear wheel, and the rear wheel itself. It's then "inside" the swingarm to rear wheel spline, and is commonly-used to provide a bit more clearance for a wide-profile tire/wheel.

There was just another question on-here about a new 18" wheel being put on a Gen 1 but the owner said he was having a rub of the wheel on the swingarm. This 'washer-position swap' is what I recommended to him.

Last edited:
The proper/stock position of the washer is between the caliper bracket and the shoulder of the axle.

If you have an aftermarket wheel/tire combo that has interference issues with the swingarm, some guys do the "washer swap" to provide additional clearance. The washer is placed between the left side of the wheel and the differential.

The thick washer part with small lip fits into the seal of the wheel (with lip facing inward). There is another washer used between the brake mount and swingarm that the shoulder of the axle fits against (as has been mentioned). This washer can sometimes be swapped between the wheel and differential if you need to get the wheel over to the right some to clear a larger tire (again has been mentioned).

Attachments

• Rear Wheel Spacers View.jpg
    Rear Wheel Spacers View.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 96
Probably between the driveshaft/differential splines for seating the rear wheel, and the rear wheel itself. It's then "inside" the swingarm to rear wheel spline, and is commonly-used to provide a bit more clearance for a wide-profile tire/wheel.

There was just another question on-here about a new 18" wheel being put on a Gen 1 but the owner said he was having a rub of the wheel on the swingarm. This 'washer-position swap' is what I recommended to him.

I HAD TO SWAP THE WASHER TO THE INSIDE OF THE GEARED SIDE OF THE BIKE TO RUN A METZER 200 18" AND IT STILL RUBS FOR A FEW HUNDRED MILES ON THE LEFT SIDE A LITTLE. MAKES A FLAT SPOT IN THE TIRE NO BIGGY IV'E USED THREE TIRES WITH THE SAME SETUP ON WIZARD WHEELS AS WELL.

I HAD TO SWAP THE WASHER TO THE INSIDE OF THE GEARED SIDE OF THE BIKE TO RUN A METZER 200 18" AND IT STILL RUBS FOR A FEW HUNDRED MILES ON THE LEFT SIDE A LITTLE. MAKES A FLAT SPOT IN THE TIRE NO BIGGY IV'E USED THREE TIRES WITH THE SAME SETUP ON WIZARD WHEELS AS WELL.
sorry for the caps

Dear Gen I Rear Axle Washer Experts,

I see that the two washers on the rear axle have different part numbers. Is one washer supposed to be thicker or thinner than the other?

If they are different thicknesses, which one goes on the brake side (R) and which goes on the final drive side (L)?

THANKS!

Paul

Correction!
Mr Slim next-to the rear caliper carrier, Fattie next-to the rear axle nut. I once found a bike with this: (attach.)
VMax rear axle nut.jpg

The skinny washer has a larger hole to allow it to slide all the way to the right-side swingarm.

The Fattie (thick) washer has a smaller I.D., and cannot pass-over the rear axle, past the threads.

In 1996, Yamaha removed a bit of material from the rear drive housing, and shortened the axle a bit. They also discontinued the castellated nut found on the 1985-1995 models, which requires the use of a cotter pin and went to a lock-nut.

Thanks to Sean Morley for the clarification.

Last edited:
Thanks, Fire-medic, that's how my '88 came from the previous owner.

I finished all my carb work and rode the thing for the first time yesterday. SO nice, and SOOO fast!

Hmmm... I wonder if putting the washers back where they belong will quiet down the loud whine from the final drive?

Tomorrow will tell.

Thanks, Fire-medic, that's how my '88 came from the previous owner.

I finished all my carb work and rode the thing for the first time yesterday. SO nice, and SOOO fast!

Hmmm... I wonder if putting the washers back where they belong will quiet down the loud whine from the final drive?

Tomorrow will tell.

Yeah, don't ride it like that!

ALERT!

Actually, the two rear axle washers go the other way around (at least on my '88 they do).

Working on the bike tonight, I discovered that when I tried to put the FAT washer on the disc side, the axle couldn't be inserted more than an inch or so (because the I.D. of the fat one is smaller than the O.D. of the axle).

So... Mr. Skinny goes between the swingarm and the disc bracket. The FATTY fits between the final drive housing and the big castle nut. (See diagram)

Of course, it might be different on earlier or later models than my '88.

Thanks to everyone for guiding me through the rough spots and getting my Max on the road after 20 years of hibernation.

Paul

Attachments

• Gen I Vmax Rear Axle.png
    Gen I Vmax Rear Axle.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 38
On this diagram, I indicated what goes where.

Attachments

• VMAX Rear wheel assembly.2.pdf
    250.9 KB · Views: 50
As you found out Yamaha did idiot proof their washers. One will fit on the axle and one won't. The one that goes between the caliper and shoulder on the axle on the RH side is commonly used to swap between the wheel and diff to shift the tire to the right to clear a bigger tire. The axle and washer (on the left side) changed in 1996 to a very thin washer with large OD (same smaller hole) and no more castle nut with cotter pin (the axle length also got shorter).

Attachments

• Rear Wheel Spacers View.jpg
    Rear Wheel Spacers View.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 29
Hi there,
I'm new here.
I found just 1 washer on my vmax '97 I bought last November.
Does somdy know the washer dimensions on the nut side and on the hub side for my 1997 vmax?

I could not find it in PDF or any searches.

Many thanks

Here you go, armed with this attachment and the part # you can work it out.

Attachments

• Hardware number interpretation.pdf
    179.5 KB · Views: 28
Many thanks.
so this means one washer is 8x6,2mm and the other 20x6mm ?

Many thanks.
so this means one washer is 8x6,2mm and the other 20x6mm ?
No, the part #'s are 92903-20600-00 and 90201-18620-00

That would make the 20 and 18 mm diameter. 600 and 620 indicates the length. I don't remember them being that thick so suggest you measure the depth of the one you have to establish which dimention it relates to.

Just put the wheel back on with a new Shinko Tourmaster. Took a bit off one spot of the right side washer and tapped it in place. Stock size tire( 150/90 x15") Went in and out easily with the center stand on a 1" board. Now I just need the winter storm ( April 21 ????) to clear up.......

Hi there,
I'm new here.
I found just 1 washer on my vmax '97 I bought last November.
Does somdy know the washer dimensions on the nut side and on the hub side for my 1997 vmax?

I could not find it in PDF or any searches.

Many thanks
Your other washer may be inside between the final drive unit and and the wheel on the axle. That gives you a couple mm more space for a larger width tire

Back