rear brake switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmioton

Reaction score
I've found my rear brake switch is not returning to the off positon after the brakes are released. If I jiggle it, they blink off temporarily but get stuck after the next application.

Is this a repairable part, or should I just order a new switch? Was thinking of spraying contact cleaner or wd-40 inside, but wanted to ask opinions first!

Thanks, and Happy Easter

have you tried to adjust it? seems unlikely but is the "trigger" to tight?. more likely is that it's all gunked up. but i'm just guessing. really don't know without looking at mine.

Try cleaning and adjusting the switch as suggested, more than likely it's just needs some attention. If the switch is bad the part number is 1FK-82530-02-00 (STOP SWITCH ASY) and will run you ~$14 + shipping from Ron Ayers Motorsports.
If you find that the switch has to be replaced you may want to think about installing a pressure switch. The pressure switch cleans up the engine oil fill area and eliminates the two part rear brake system. Here is a picture of mine:
IMG_0866.jpg
It is a Vortex brake light switch I purchased from Motorcycle Superstore for $20, it's easy to install and as long as you have brake pressure it works!
To install you need to remove the old banjo bolt and install the vortex banjo switch, connect the wires to the old wires, bleed the system and your done.

Try cleaning and adjusting the switch as suggested, more than likely it's just needs some attention. If the switch is bad the part number is 1FK-82530-02-00 (STOP SWITCH ASY) and will run you ~$14 + shipping from Ron Ayers Motorsports.
If you find that the switch has to be replaced you may want to think about installing a pressure switch. The pressure switch cleans up the engine oil fill area and eliminates the two part rear brake system. Here is a picture of mine:
View attachment 21325
It is a Vortex brake light switch I purchased from Motorcycle Superstore for $20, it's easy to install and as long as you have brake pressure it works!
To install you need to remove the old banjo bolt and install the vortex banjo switch, connect the wires to the old wires, bleed the system and your done.

I like that vortex switch....Might consider this as a nice upgrade from the old. Would work great with my Galfer lines too.

Thanks for all the great advice. Today I took it apart and found the shaft was corroded, probably from riding all winter in road salt. After a proper scraping and cleaning and a little silicone lubricant, it's working as good as new.

Back