rear tire size

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ RJ RJ

Reaction score
Reading the Cycle world Board: http://forums.cycleworld.com/cyclew...hread.id=14014&view=by_date_ascending&page=11

"Well, you will like this:
When we checked out the New 09 VMax it was very obvious that it had EXTRA clearance between the tire and the swingarm. Three of the unsung heros: the lead designers from Japan where standing close by.

I said: "This thing will easily fit a 240!" (kind of excited) They broke their cool look and put on a BIG smile. One of them repeated: "250 easy - maybe even bigger ;-)"

Don't get too excited I know from experience its not that simple even if there is enough clearance side to side there needs to be enough clearance in the rear of the swingarm not mention machining a hub with the correct offset to the wheel you might use they all have a different offset not easy and or cheap at least a grand for a rear wheel and tire then the machining of the hub for that wheels offset.

something for a machinist familiar with the new vmax with the bike in front of them[try to find one near you!]

Then there's fender issues...... it goes on and on......Trust Me!!!

hercules, i know your upset with the new max-the price, the wgt, the colors - ok we get it. you havent even seen it in person yet though, let alone ridden one so maybe ..just maybe it will seem a lot better after the tests and test rides :confused2: then again maybe not, but i hope so.
hopefully the tire upsize will be fairly easy. if some company makes a tire a couple sizes bigger, maybe it will fit the stock rim ? :ummm:

im in the middle of doing that on my 06 (just machined new hubs for a 8.5 wide rear wheel. fitted to a jig swing arm, i just started welding)... my take on that bit of news is far more optimistic. especially as the new arm already has two universal joints...

in my experience (and ive been working on this for a while now) if the new swing arm is wide enough to accommodate a 250, then making a new hub is all you need to do on your new wheel. if your familiar with custom cruiser wheels that have removable hubs, you can get machine the right spacing to the differential and everything else would be golden.....

i see this as far far easier than making a whole new arm and new joints...repositioning everything etc etc

Got my wheel blank here : http://www.cv2customs.com/prodwheels.html

tire was 150 bucks so that all far less than a grand....but prototyping a hub wasnt cheap.....i will sell it with the swing arm when i get it all figured out.....

More then likely if there is room for clearance on the swingarm you can upsize 1 maybe 2 on the stock wheel. There are a number of issues you have to be aware of.

Even though they are the same rim size does not mean that it will safely fit on the wheel. Even if it did is the tire diameter the same or is it larger in diameter too. If it's bigger in diameter is the clearance in the swingarm the same in the new position. If you do go bigger and needs a new wider wheel that's no problem as long as the clearance and offset allow.

BUT

Now does the fender clear. You've moved the wheel farther over from center and maybe there is or maybe there isn't cleanrance for the rear fender. I've got 2 chewed up fenders to prove that a wider wheel can do just that. Maybe some who saw the 2 face bike in Topeka can attest to that.

ALSO,

by offsetting the wheel to get more tire/wheel how much have you effected handling.

There are many questions that you have to try and resolve before just jumping in and throwing a new back tire on there. We haven't even begun to concern ourselves with how this may or may not effect the engine.

How would that effect it you say?

Well, likely the engine is smart enough to overcome the errors that used to plague fuel injected vehicles. It used to be that they used a VSS to signal the computer as part of the injection system. Along with the other factors this made some vehicles run lean/rich when chaning the tires around. They started making chips/controllers to help correct these conditions. I'm sure the system can be upgraded with a programmer to correct for this too but that's even more money and time. If you go wider/narrower but don't change the diameter then that's one less worry about that stuff.

Sean Morley

More then likely if there is room for clearance on the swingarm you can upsize 1 maybe 2 on the stock wheel. There are a number of issues you have to be aware of.

Even though they are the same rim size does not mean that it will safely fit on the wheel. Even if it did is the tire diameter the same or is it larger in diameter too. If it's bigger in diameter is the clearance in the swingarm the same in the new position. If you do go bigger and needs a new wider wheel that's no problem as long as the clearance and offset allow.

BUT

Now does the fender clear. You've moved the wheel farther over from center and maybe there is or maybe there isn't cleanrance for the rear fender. I've got 2 chewed up fenders to prove that a wider wheel can do just that. Maybe some who saw the 2 face bike in Topeka can attest to that.

ALSO,

by offsetting the wheel to get more tire/wheel how much have you effected handling.

There are many questions that you have to try and resolve before just jumping in and throwing a new back tire on there. We haven't even begun to concern ourselves with how this may or may not effect the engine.

Sean Morley

true...but all these are issues that affect your early v max too.....

the point was that a few of the traditional obstacles are out of the way....( no need for new arm as its wide enough and has the double u joint .)

You always had to buy a new wheel and all that...and worry about the fender.
And well....wide ties have been put on fuel injected bikes for some time now....this shouldn't be an Mars Mission here...

Id suggest ...if the news is true....that vender's like yourself could potentially offer a machined hub for use on new custom wheels to fit the application and sell many of them because the total cost to the consumer is less than the old bikes conversion price... an considering that this new perspective customer has dropped 20 just to own the bike id wager they have more money to spend than you are used to seeing from a traditional vmax buyer...

Well, likely the engine is smart enough to overcome the errors that used to plague fuel injected vehicles. It used to be that they used a VSS to signal the computer as part of the injection system. Along with the other factors this made some vehicles run lean/rich when chaning the tires around. They started making chips/controllers to help correct these conditions. I'm sure the system can be upgraded with a programmer to correct for this too but that's even more money and time. If you go wider/narrower but don't change the diameter then that's one less worry about that stuff.

Sean Morley

i know dealers who sell new bikes with power commanders and similar competitor versions, as part of the initial sale.... its commonplace...the vmax is about to enter modern motorcycling..:eusa_dance::biglaugh:

..a year from now we will have people on these forums trading fueling maps and ignition advance programs all over the place...

hercules, i know your upset with the new max-the price, the wgt, the colors - ok we get it. you havent even seen it in person yet though, let alone ridden one so maybe ..just maybe it will seem a lot better after the tests and test rides :confused2: then again maybe not, but i hope so.
hopefully the tire upsize will be fairly easy. if some company makes a tire a couple sizes bigger, maybe it will fit the stock rim ? :ummm:

This does not have to do with me liking or disliking the New Bike,If I could have gotten away with just putting a wider tire on my bike I would have.There is offset issues, hub issues, tire Clarence issues...you cant just put a 240 on a 6" rim it needs to be at least 8.5 inches then you have spacers the rear brake caliper has to line up with the rotor along with the brake arm and as I stated before fender issues and this is all not cheap and very time consuming. With a kit on my Max it took me all winter long aligning this and that, machining this and that, and tapping out frame bolt holes customizing an exhaust that will clear it all....Until you do such a conversion you have no idea whatsoever whats involved it looks like a piece of cake until you get into it!!!!

you cant just bump your tire up a few notches it goes 200-210-240-250-260-280 I dont even know if they make a 210 in an 18.

It may help alieviate some costs with not having to buy a new swingarm to get a little increase. But honestly for most who even think of one of those big butt kits its all about who has the biggest. So now we are back to the full cost and modifications.

Sean

It may help alieviate some costs with not having to buy a new swingarm to get a little increase. But honestly for most who even think of one of those big butt kits its all about who has the biggest. So now we are back to the full cost and modifications.

Sean

good point....once your into buyin big wheels you probably dont shy away from writing big checks....

still i think the new bike will be a prime market for some...

This does not have to do with me liking or disliking the New Bike,If I could have gotten away with just putting a wider tire on my bike I would have.There is offset issues, hub issues, tire Clarence issues...you cant just put a 240 on a 6" rim it needs to be at least 8.5 inches then you have spacers the rear brake caliper has to line up with the rotor along with the brake arm and as I stated before fender issues and this is all not cheap and very time consuming. With a kit on my Max it took me all winter long aligning this and that, machining this and that, and tapping out frame bolt holes customizing an exhaust that will clear it all....Until you do such a conversion you have no idea whatsoever whats involved it looks like a piece of cake until you get into it!!!!

you cant just bump your tire up a few notches it goes 200-210-240-250-260-280 I dont even know if they make a 210 in an 18.

im in the same world of pain as you but i have no kit..hahah

But i was refering to the new bike.... i think the 250 tire on the new bike will be much easier according to what i quoted in the post....

Metzler makes a 210/40 - 18. That's the rear tire used on the Star Raider. It would 'probably' fit on the stock Max rim and not need any mods to the bike. Comparing it with a 200, it appears to be a LOT wider.

:confused2: i understand for that much of a jump to 240 or more a new wheel will be needed and probably other mods i just meant for a 210 or 220 if these sizes become available.:ummm:
as far as you liking it or not it is pretty obvious from your posts . the negativity shows in how you write your posts whether you mean to or not:stir pot: let's wait and see

Back