Remote oil filter setup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
I was browsing a few forums and I came across this - designed and built by a guy called Terry in Australia for a CB550
DSCF0155.jpg

It has similar dimensions to the filter housing on the older Vmax and was wondering why the closest I've seen to this is a spin-on adapter. This setup would suit me and my oil cooler perfectly !!

Here's a link to the CB550 cafe racer build it was used on
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70130.50
:worthy:

I sure you could get a spin on adapter made up that had the fittings for the oil cooler but still has the mount for the spin on filter, might be close to the tire though.

Could this be the same thing you are looking at ?

Attachments

• 375.jpg
    375.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 116
I sure you could get a spin on adapter made up that had the fittings for the oil cooler but still has the mount for the spin on filter, might be close to the tire though.

I don't think there'll be issues with the wheel but it might poke into where my oil cooler is, at the moment I have the the old style filter bolted to an adapte plate off an XS850. There are clearance issues with the cross brace and the oil lines have to come out the bottom which give me ground clearance worries

IMAG0395-1.jpg

I've been thinking of a spin-on adapter then an oil cooler plate then the new filter plus the bent cross brace to accommodate it but that is $$$

Another option would be to thread the oil feed hole on the motor and bolt an oil line directly to that that runs to the remote filter and oil cooler :confused2:

I wonder if you used the CB550 style adapter wherein the oil cooler line could come out the top, filter would screw onto the front (like normal) and you could run the oil cooler up top of the radiator (lines run behind the radiator)? Yeah, I'm sure this idea wouldn't be cheap either though.
Or how about the oil goes into the filter out to the cooler and then back to engine. Theh you would just need to replumb what you have, add a remote filter mount... just throwing out some thoughts....

I think this will be my winter project... lots of good ideas so far
One thing I want to do is keep the number of connections to a minimum

Basic model : thread the oil passage and screw in oil lines to a universal remote filter
Pro model : CB550 style adapter, plumbing for oil cooler, offset mount for spin-on oil filter & ports for dash mounted oil pressure gauge

Another option would be to thread the oil feed hole on the motor and bolt an oil line directly to that that runs to the remote filter and oil cooler :confused2:

That's the way I'd do it, just keep alot of grease on the tap to keep the chips out of the engine... Problem is just like everything else on these bikes, no room!! I went to great pains to keep everything hidden and keep the clean lines of the bike so I have no clue where you'd put a remote filter and have it look good and bear in mind the farther you push that oil the harder it is on the oil pump...

This is all you need... Find it on Egay for 20/30 bucks

I assume it's the bypass adapter you're talking about, but unfortunatly, she's a '93. It's a cartridge type filter so I'd also need the spin-on adapter and the curved frame brace to put one of those in
PP38006-Oil-Filter-Adapter-Kit.jpg

But it's not much different to the adapter I currently have from an XS850
DSCN1892.jpg

personnaly i dont see any practical place to mount a remote filter...

not trying to discourage you.....its a cool idea...tho,

an oil cooler would prolly be dooable tho...altho they do cause a lil presure drop....and really wouldnt help much on a liquid cooled bike i wouldnt think.

just my humble opinion:biglaugh:

personnaly i dont see any practical place to mount a remote filter...

not trying to discourage you.....its a cool idea...tho,

an oil cooler would prolly be dooable tho...altho they do cause a lil presure drop....and really wouldnt help much on a liquid cooled bike i wouldnt think.

just my humble opinion:biglaugh:

I have the oil cooler, it's just that my plumbing is the lowest part of the engine.
I want to tidy it up and I'd like the option to get shorter shocks next year without Max scraping his elbows off the ground
GaxMax.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZZ5Bb6nUoZ4/UBvdn4_1H3I/AAAAAAAAC44/YozskEp1av4/s2048/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

oh i see what yer doin:biglaugh:...couldnt picture it in my hayud:biglaugh:.

Hey John do you remember this bike? Pay attention to the lower front side... Its a spacer tapped on the sides for the oil lines... Pretty simple...

23042012704.jpg

img45391.jpg

Hi guys, i have an XS1100 oil cooler adapter, screws between the early filter housing and block, similar to the XS850 shown, so there should be a couple of options available, maybe a blank plate where the filter bowl bolts on, and the remote filter housing piped into the cooler pipes.

Back