Removing Silver Stripes From Tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmac5

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been discussed. I tried to search for this subject but came up empty.

I recently purchased a 2003 VMAX Gun Metal Grey with Silver Stripes on the tank. The stripes on the tank are scraped up a bit so I was thinking of removing them. I cannot tell if there is a layer of clear over the decals.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully removed these decals and what the result was?

Thanks, Pat

So these are decals? The stripes needs to be repainted? So does that mean they will leave damage when removed?

A pic would help... depends on prior owner some people paint some use stickers. If you like the look doing a paint job yourself would be a nice project ... Rattle can paint has come a long way seen many nice paints and touch ups with them.. prep work is always the key never skimp on prep when any paint is involved

If they are decals and your able to peel off you might have sun fade on rest of lid and a little darker where decals were . I had pinstripe decal from P O and you can still see where they were . Kinda neat but I'm repainting soon . If clear coats over decal or panted stripe you will need to prep then repaint . Fortunately it's easy enough to take fenders and lid off and paint should be cheaper to do . Good luck

Some of the worst fading I've ever seen on stock Vmax tins are on carbon fiber color. It's not that old and not an outside bike but dang did that finish die fast! I mean faded more than died. Still smooth and glossy but when the fenders were pulled, holy crap, what the hell ?!
If it were me I scuff it or sand the stripes and repaint. Of course you don't need to keep the same color or design if you so choose. Morley Muscle Paint is an option.

Yeah, I didn't realize how much my garage kept for its whole life carbon fiber had faded until I removed the warning labels off the faux tank cover. It was only fours years old at the time.

I apologize if this has been discussed. I tried to search for this subject but came up empty.

I recently purchased a 2003 VMAX Gun Metal Grey with Silver Stripes on the tank. The stripes on the tank are scraped up a bit so I was thinking of removing them. I cannot tell if there is a layer of clear over the decals.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully removed these decals and what the result was?

Thanks, Pat

2003 the black metallic and the silver stripes are painted on, followed by a clear coat that is semi flat. That's why the paint has a semi flat look. The easiest fix would be to mask out, and repaint just the silver stripes.

2003 the black metallic and the silver stripes are painted on, followed by a clear coat that is semi flat. That's why the paint has a semi flat look. The easiest fix would be to mask out, and repaint just the silver stripes.

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. I think the best solution is what you and another suggested. Just prepare and paint right over the existing silver stripes.

The rest of the tank looks great and I would hate to mess with it.

Thanks again, Pat

Get a wrap, plenty of designs. Easy to change, reasonable cost.

Thanks, Pat
If in fact they are decals, they can be safely removed buy using a heat gun, and if you don't have a heat gun, then a hand held hair dryer. Heat the stripe up, and use a fingernail to lift an edge, keep applying heat, and slowly peel it off. This might leave some tiny lines around the edges where the stripes were but that can usually be polished out. If their painted on, then 320 or 400 wet sand using a block. Prime, wet sand again, seal, and paint. Another alternative would be a wrap as Firemedic suggested. More and more folks are going that route. Anyway, if you can do the sanding and prep work, I wouldn't think you would have to pay very much to have it professionally painted. The materials would probably cost you $60 or $70 or so, plus the labor.....I recently had my front and rear fender and the faux tank painted black for $150, materials included ( they had the sealer, black, and clear already on hand, most likely won't have your color on the shelve though ), and I did the prep work. Good luck in what you decide to do.

No, the 2003-2004 silver stripes are decals, and they are a bitch to remove. I had a vinyl wrap done on my 2003 and I destroyed the paint attempting to remove them. I heated them up until the tank cover was hot enough to burn you and they wouldn't budge. I ended up using a razor to pull them up in very small sections and sand paper to smooth the surface.

Latest posts

Back