Removing the stock exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a new system coming for my 03 max and was wondering if there are any tips in removing the stock exhaust? i hear they can be harder to remove than putting an after market back on! Im just a neat freak and don't want any chips or scrapes on the bike removing and installing the new system!!

Hello guys, I have a new system coming for my 03 max and was wondering if there are any tips in removing the stock exhaust? i hear they can be harder to remove than putting an after market back on! Im just a neat freak and don't want any chips or scrapes on the bike removing and installing the new system!!

Hi Max03...just take your time, you'll be ok. The stock system is heavy so put some cushioning under it so it doesn't come crashing down, remove the center bolt, loosen the 4 header clamp bolts then remove the 2 mounting bolts by the passenger footpegs. Then just work it off.

Removing the rear wheel can make the job a lot easier and give you more room also.

Good luck!

Where in NY are you?

Seneca Falls!

Hi Max03...just take your time, you'll be ok. The stock system is heavy so put some cushioning under it so it doesn't come crashing down, remove the center bolt, loosen the 4 header clamp bolts then remove the 2 mounting bolts by the passenger footpegs. Then just work it off.

Removing the rear wheel can make the job a lot easier and give you more room also.

Good luck!

Where in NY are you?

Nice country, lots of wine and stuff! :biglaugh:
I'm east of Albany on the Mass border, you ever get over this way let me know.

Good luck with the exhaust.

Yes i will definitely have to get up with you!! Is it impossible to get this off without taking the rear wheel off? Do you drop the whole exhaust as one unit? I started farting around with it but its mothers day! need i say more LOL, mr max is getting to much attention!!!!

I removed an 85 system in about an hour without removing the rear wheel.
I presoaked all fasteners and where the pipes slip together for a day.
Make sure to put something under the system(rags or cardboard) to protect it from hitting the floor as you push and pull.
It came apart in pieces from the front to the back.
Tie tab the mufflers back in place after removing the main bolts.
This lets you wiggle it without risk of it falling out and getting damaged.
My 85 has 12,000 km, so it was relatively simple.
I'm not sure with a high miler?
Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes i will definitely have to get up with you!! Is it impossible to get this off without taking the rear wheel off? Do you drop the whole exhaust as one unit? I started farting around with it but its mothers day! need i say more LOL, mr max is getting to much attention!!!!

Yup, that sounds good.

Sure, you can remove it with the rear wheel in place, just much, much easier and roomier without it there in the way.

I wouldn't loosen the header bolts or crossover clamp yet...you end up with too many moving parts! :biglaugh: Just the clamps and hangers on the muffler. Then do the front section after.

Thanks you guys rock!!! I'll keep ya posted!! Not sure if i can do anything with it today "mothers day" But the new system should be here Tuesday so wanna have it ready! Another question I was thinking would be a good idea to drop the pan why im swapping exhaust to check this infamous o-ring what do you guys think?

Thanks you guys rock!!! I'll keep ya posted!! Not sure if i can do anything with it today "mothers day" But the new system should be here Tuesday so wanna have it ready! Another question I was thinking would be a good idea to drop the pan why im swapping exhaust to check this infamous o-ring what do you guys think?

It's a good time to do it if you're going to.

Seneca Falls, hell your just around the corner so to speak. Just outside Canandaigua. Been rippin through your village plenty of times:biglaugh:.

What new system did you go with? Jet kit or staying stock?

Seneca Falls, hell your just around the corner so to speak. Just outside Canandaigua. Been rippin through your village plenty of times:biglaugh:.

What new system did you go with? Jet kit or staying stock?

4/2 HoleShot, stage one jet kit that dale walker sells. I did alot of research on all the exhaust systems and really wanted a 4/2 because i like the look, i narrowed it down between the holeshots and marks and really thought the holeshots were the best looking system "JMO" Im hoping its gonna wake it up and sound really nice!!!!

4/2 HoleShot, stage one jet kit that dale walker sells. I did alot of research on all the exhaust systems and really wanted a 4/2 because i like the look, i narrowed it down between the holeshots and marks and really thought the holeshots were the best looking system "JMO" Im hoping its gonna wake it up and sound really nice!!!!

Running same system with dales jets, yeah it will wake it up :biglaugh:

Back