Replacement throttle plate?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxxer_89

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a damaged throttle plate in my #1 carb that is not making a proper seal around the edge. Apparently, the throttle plate is not listed as a "replacement part" by the dealer, meaning I would have to purchase a new carb for over $500.

Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement or have one made? I haven't had much luck finding used parts through salvage dealers or through eBay.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Are you talking about the butterfly valve? If so, I probably have one, or I'm sure Sean (one2dmax) would. How is it damaged? Are you sure it isn't the sync or missing a spring somewhere in the linkage?

Jeff

Yep, I think we're referring to the same piece - the brass disc that opens and closes with the throttle.

I'm pretty sure it's the disc itself. I had removed it and was attempting to put it back in. It was being stubborn so I gave it some "encouragement" by tapping it with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. I must have used enough force to put some flat spots in the curved edge, preventing it from making a tight seal at closed throttle...

I knew brass was a soft metal, but I guess I didn't KNOW it...

If you have an extra, how much would you want for it?

Thanks

If jeff doesn't have one I am sure I can find one in the pile.

Sean

I have seven of them laying around, get it to you fast. :biglaugh: Actually I have the whole carb body if you want. Just split up a set the other day to help out a local fellow Vmaxer, might as well finish of the set.
Cheers

so what is the trick to getting butterfly back in without jacking it up? i also dun same thing. Can't get a good sync just close.

You have to have the angles just right. It can be a bitch. I've not had the need to remove the butterflies and throttle shafts yet on any set we've rebuilt. The older carbs might get worn shaft seals but most have been good so far.

Sean

Latest posts

Back