Right Side Sputter at Idle (1992)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgotko

Reaction score
I looked at a used 1992 /10,000 miles / being sold by a 57yr. young guy last night.
The bike is completely stock & spotless. However, when the bike was idling there was a very light / slight sputter on the right side only. Otherwise the bike sounded & ran strong. The sellers suggestion was not mess with it based on suggestions from other owners when he was trying to solve the issue. Should I run the other way or is this no big deal as the seller claims? Thanks....J

I looked at a used 1992 /10,000 miles / being sold by a 57yr. young guy last night.
The bike is completely stock & spotless. However, when the bike was idling there was a very light / slight sputter on the right side only. Otherwise the bike sounded & ran strong. The sellers suggestion was not mess with it based on suggestions from other owners when he was trying to solve the issue. Should I run the other way or is this no big deal as the seller claims? Thanks....J

That is pretty low miles... Personally anything under '93 isn't worth it to me as that is the year the bike got upgraded brakes and forks as well as a few other things...

That being said, I would suspect a good carb cleaning like "shooting the shotgun" is needed or a plug change or maybe a wire change...

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

How much?

Asking price is 4K which seems a bit high to me.

But, in trying to justify this price I'm also considering shipping cost from out of state. At or around this price/budget shipping cound add as much as 20% to my out of pocket expense. If I use the high end BB of $3,530 and add in shipping from out of state, I end up around 4K anyway. (and don't get to see the bike or meet the seller in person to get the warm fuzzy...)

Going back for a 2nd look & listen yesteday the slight sputter was gone. Both of my views were on a cold engine. Weird..? Bike does to hesitate on the start and fires right up. Bike is clean. Hoses are firm with no craking or splits. The small linkage & springs top side of engine under the seat look new & unweatherd. No signs of oxidation on any componets. No dents, dings or scratches. You could eat off the areas under the seat an top cover.

Noticed the rotors were groved on 2nd vist, but brakes/pads are good. Fork seals have been replaced. Donlop tire on rear still has blue crap on raised whites. Front tire OK. Only mod to bike was a new seat. Seller offered the original but said it was very uncomfortable.

If you watch vmax prices for a while,$4000 is not a bad deal for that bike.Any bike under $3500 is usually a basket case.

Only mod to bike was a new seat. Seller offered the original but said it was very uncomfortable.

He's right... Not bad for about 30-40 miles and then it feels like you've been sitting on a log for a while...

4 grand doesn't seem far off... I would probably offer him 3700 and see what he says...

Guys, I've had a chance to tool around a bit on the bike in the neighborhood and listen to and feel this problem (very slight) that I'm having with the sputter when the bike is cold.

I would like to ask if you think it is possibe that this sputter could be caused from a very small exhaust gasket leak on one of my cylinders? The sputter only occurs when the engine is cold. When riding not fully warmed up/hot, I swear I can hear it sputter up front of the bike when under a load as well as out the exhust in the rear. When parked or no load on the engine I only hear it from the rear.

:hmmm: Thanks....Jason - PS - SeaFoam goes in today. I'm on my way to get some.

Re: Right Side Sputter out of Carb (1992)

Ok, SeaFoam is in and hopefully working its magic. The guy at the parts store couldn?t say enough good things about it. As I drove around some today it became clear that this sputter is not caused or coming from the exhaust and does happen when bike is warm. I spent hours on the bike today and I believe the noise towards the front of the bike (pop/sputter) is from the left front carb. I can not make it repeat at will. It just happens when it happens. I tired various gears with various acceleration and deceleration. I worked in some turns, (left & right) soft stops, hard stops, soft acceleration and harder ones, etc?. you get the point. There is no real backfire. It pures real nice going up & down. If this is a backfire it is very-very subdued one.

:confused2:

I?ve pulled the plugs and they look fine. No excess anything on the plugs themselves. The spark plug from the suspect cylinder looks like all the rest. Being such a newbee, I hate to move to quickly into the carb arena, but to solve this annoyance I may have to at some point. In my first house I bought I went into the bathroom to just caulk the tube and ended up gutting it. ........Never did enjoy that thrown; to much aggravation.

:doh: Don't want to make that mistake again....

If it's coming near that carb, take a good look at the boot...make sure the clamps are good and tight. Also make sure that choke plunger is all the way in.

Mark

Before digging into it to deep let the seafoam do its job and if you don't see a change in 50-100 miles then start digging...

I would take it out in the country and just ride it nice and smooth and for 100 miles or so... If your a$$ can handle it...:whistlin:

I have a 93 and it does the same thing....a sputter pop now and again on idle when you first start it up. I know I have one carb set a little rich and having the choke on till it warms up a bit makes it worse. I know that the air screw is seized but I'll live with it for now.

Rich doesn't bother me - it is the other way that does. It smells a bit gassy in the garage when I start it, but I like it.....

If the bike is like new - I'd jump on it. It took me a long time to find a bike ( that old ) like new and less than 19Kms. Good luck.

I can?t thank all of you enough for your suggestions. :punk:

I pulled everything off the top to get to the carbs and take a look see. I new there must be some dirt on the underside of the air box that could be cleaned while I was looking at the carbs. Guess what?. No dirt or dust! I?m starting to think I got a good deal on this ole ?Johnny Popper?.

1st Note to self: Get a magnetic wand so when you drop little screws in the engine you will be able to retrieve them.
2nd Note to self: When being a dumb ass and dropping screws in the engine make sure your spark plugs are in - or the holes are covered. (No it didn?t?.Thank GOD)

The No. 2 Carb did have some tarnish and the others did not. (LOOK-OUT!! The man has manual in the house) I reassembled and figured I would let the Seafoam have a chance to work as suggested. I will look at the choke plunger tomorrow if I get time. All boots are seated properly and tight.

3rd Note to Self: Replace that squeeze type compression clamp on the hose that connects to the bottom of the air box with screw type.

I spent more time fiddling with that hose clamp only because my tools are limited to a sledge hammer, ice pick and a pipe wrench. Man, I need some more tools. The hose has little to no play and my fat polish sausage fingers would not get in there.

When I put the plugs back in I mirrored them just for the hell of it to see if the problem would switch sides. It didn?t. I?m going to top the fluids, new plugs, filter etc. A.S.A.P. All fluids not topped except for oil.

The previous owner always used AMSOIL and I noticed in the sight glass that it was not in between low/full lines but rather totally full; no visible air. Is this an overfill situation that this engine will not like or do other owners do this?
:ummm:

Back