Rode my Super Magna around the block....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Was enough for me to appreciate how awesome my Vmax is.....

I bought the Super about a month before the Vmax. I had a V65 Magna and was looking for a Vmax. But I couldnt turn down the price on the V65. So I bought it. Worked on it a little and then the Super popped up. So I bought that, rode it for about 4 weeks and the Vmax popped up. So I bought the Vmax.

I sold the V65 about 3 weeks after I bought the Vmax. I am trying to sell the Super now. I haven't ridden that 1 day since I got the Vmax. It just wasn't fast enough and the ergo's really hurt my knees and back. The Vmax doesn't hurt one bit. :biglaugh:

But I took the Super out. Went around the block and realized its a nice bike, but would never be a Vmax or a V65. I really contemplated pulling the V65 and putting it into the Super. But thats alot of welding and fitting and I just didn't want to mess with it. Would have been a killer franken bike though...

Todd

i had a supermagna...loved it.....i wish they wouild have made it an 1100....that would have been farkin saaaweeet!!

Before the Max I had a V30 "baby" Magna, as in the 500 from the "baby interceptor" in the magna chassis.

Fun bike, and surprisingly fast. Think it was rated at like 65hp, a lot for a 500. It would do like 105-110 and cruise at 80 on the highway all day long. The 11.5k redline was pretty fun too.

It was 25 years old and everything still worked perfectly. Ran like a swiss watch.

i had a nice 85 v65....had to sell it when i lost my job:damn angry:

omg the carbs were a absolute NIGHTMARE to put back on...:rofl_200:

Attachments

• magna 1.jpg
    magna 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 45
The only Honda V4 I had was the VF1000R. I loved that bike. Mine had the twin headlights and was sooo beautiful in HRC colors.

Fortunately I never had to remove the carbs off my V30. I heard all of them were a major bitch though since you had to "wedge" them between the V of the engine. Not like the Vmax with curved manifolds and straight downdraft carbs, the magna had "diagonal-draft" carbs, 4 in a row that wedged into the V with straight manifolds.

Yamaha had the better design. lol.

Ran perfect from the day I got it to the day I sold it. Only hiccup was a misfire that turned out to be a bad plug wire.

I used to have an '84 V65 Sabre. Bought as a non-runner and fixed up. Sold it in order to buy my Max which was also a non-runner in need of fixing up. I do miss that bike even though the Max is much faster. I do not miss having to rebuild those carbs, though. It was a real PITA getting them in and out. Sold it with 67,000 on the odo and it still ran like clockwork. Great bikes, like most, as long as they're taken care of.

Attachments

• IMG00171-20091119-1158.jpg
    IMG00171-20091119-1158.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 24
I ve owned all kinds of V4 Hondas.

Ceptors from 500 to 1000 ( 1986 VF1000R )
Sabres 750-1100
And Mangas 700-1100

They are smooth motors. Carbs are always a pain. Parts aren't easy to get ( in terms of custom ).

The VF1000R I put a 94 CBR 600 suspension/wheels etc on it. Talk about transforming that bike. With Radial tires it was awesome. Sat low in front.

All in all the Max is my favorite ride. My 92 oil boiler GSXR 750 was fun too. I ve been looking to see if I can't sell or trade my Super Magna for an 1100 GSXR. I wouldnt mind having another sport bike in the stable again.

Todd

480_good7.jpg

My first custom magna..... I polished everything on it but the wheels.

Todd

Have you got the Super Posted for sale? I sold my 1987 this spring.

I still have a 1991 VFR750 V-4 and several other cool Honda's including

1989 Honda CB1
1990 Honda Hawk GT

I also sold the following this spring or last spring

1984 Honda VT500 Ascot
1984 Honda V30 magna
1984 Honda 500 Shadow
1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk-S (Blue)
1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk-S (Red)
1990 Honda VTR250 (Mini-Ceptor)

I loved my 85 V65 Sabre. It had a unique character and personality. 6 gears, a big fuel tank, a cool digital dash with fuel gauge, gear indicator and temperature gauge. Lots of low-rpm torque and a top speed over 170 mph. Thought about finding another one... but my Vmax is bad-ass! :punk:

Attachments

• 1985 V65 Sabre.jpg
    1985 V65 Sabre.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 16
My girlfriend still rides my 1983 V45 Magna. She likes it enough until I get on the Vmax hard and she can't keep up. We had it painted this spring...it's hard to tell in the picture but it is metallic black with chrome decals. I atached a picture of the bikes in the Garage at the moment too....2004 VMAX, 1983 V45 Magna, 1981 XV920 Virago and a 2005 Suzuki Katana 600.

Attachments

• magna.jpg
    magna.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • stable.jpg
    stable.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I've ridden the big Sabres and V65s and while I could get the 65 up on its back wheel easy enough, I thought they were total slouches and you just waited and waited for them to get up to speed. My last VF750C had great reviews and honestly, could not wait to sell that sucker. A 94 I got in 2009 with 11,xxx miles. New Metzlers, chain, replaced front seat due to split seam and partial teardown just to detail it to my standards. Paid $1,100- sold for $2,900
Would do it again for the $ but not for the ride.

V65 Sabre's actual top speed is 154 tested, so about the same as a VMax. Design speed is an entirely different can of worms. The ZX11 proved what it took to actually top 170.

Back