RPM and speed relationship

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zx1196d

Reaction score
I just bought my first Vmax, a 2000 model year. At 60 mph in 5th gear, the tach reads 4000 rpm. Is this standard for this model? That seems a bit high but I understand theses are 'stop light to stop light' bikes. Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Or, get an overdrive from me lol!. I have venture diffs on hand ready to go too.

Sean

zx1196d: Your VMax will be very happy and smooth cruising at 4,000 to 6,000 rpm. Your gas mileage will vary depending on the mods you have and your riding style. Could be as good as 34 mpg or may be lower with some mods and aggressive riding. Congrats on your new to you VMax and welcome to the VMax Forum too.

Yeah, bikes tend to spin a lot faster than cars or v-twin cement mixer motors. It won't hurt anything, and the tall gearing is what helps the Vmax with it's legendary acceleration. My V30 Magna spun around 6500RPM to do 75mph(though redline wasn't until 11,500), and 600 sportbikes spin up around 7-8k.

With the Venture drive, I know 5th gear at 3000RPM is about 50mph. 75mph, a typical highway cruise, is about 4500, and 100mph is around 6000.

I've also seen a high of 41mpg. Average in the high 30's, 36-39 or so. Exceptional hooligan riding/lots of v-boost will send it into the 20's.

Shift light in fourth(9200) winks on at 135. Move it to fifth and it'll slowly creep up to a top end of about 145 or so, around 87-8800RPM in top gear...with me hunkered down behind the little flyscreen piloting the aerodynamical disaster known as Vmax down the road.

In theory the Venture would give you a higher top end but assuming stock motors, it's about the same.

Or, get an overdrive from me lol!. I have venture diffs on hand ready to go too.

Sean
I have Sean's OD in Redbone and I like it. When I'm being a hooligan I will keep it in 4th rather than upshift to 5th. Now cruising in 5th @ ~3k = 55 - 60 range (It's been too damn long since I've ridden!!!:damn angry:), which is perfect for a lot of my riding around here on rural roads.

Attached is a gear speed calculator that I did in Excel.

It should get you close.

Gary

Attachments

• Gear ratios.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back