Running a little hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
Took my bike out after sitting a while and now it's running a little hot. Not overheating but up to the line of normal before it overheats. Any suggestions? Also where exactly is the thermostat on these? Any help appreciated. Ed

whens the last time u flushed the coolant ed? whats the level on your overflow bottle?

After reading a post a couple lines down I'm gonna check what position the plastic drain plug is in when I was doing the starter clutch I think I was messing with the drain plug when I removed the radiator to get to the starter ( thought my problem might have been there) but now that I see that the on/off position could cause a temp change in the motor I'll bet it could be related to my issue.

The level on my overflow is actually a little high Garrett, but since reading the post on the positioning of the plastic drain plug I'm gonna check that and that might be the issue. What is the procedure for flushing it because I've never done that and would probably be a good idea to do it regardless if the drain plug position is wrong anyway. Thanks for the help Garrett! I finally decided to get a Clymers manual and it should be getting it any day now. Do you think it shows how to flush the system in there? Thanks, Ed

i personally preferred the haynes and it has a very good procedure in it. shoot me an email and i can try to take screenshots of the haynes i have as a pdf.

morgan(dot)ga(at)gmail(dot)com

The thermostat is in a casing left of the waterpump elbow. Follow that and you will find a bulgy casing. the thermostat is inside.

Last time I did follow the service manual that's comprehensive enough even for a 2 left handed like me :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I did have the plastic drain plug in the on position so now that it's in off position I'm riding to see how the temp is. Stay tuned

Even if what im about to write is stupid but its an idea;

what about fitting in a bigger radiator or a bigger fan, both if possible??

can the radiator or the fan perhaps be found on bigger models like any 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 liter engines models, or the 2nd generation vmax??

Even if what im about to write is stupid but its an idea;

what about fitting in a bigger radiator or a bigger fan, both if possible??

can the radiator or the fan perhaps be found on bigger models like any 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 liter engines models, or the 2nd generation vmax??

This stuff has been created, adapted from other modes,l and mods have been done. Changing the coolant is vert important like Garrett said. The fan switch can be over ridden, different senders put in to keep it on longer and earlier. T stats get lazy after years of use too. Then there is keeping the water pump in top condition. The big radiator, prolly not needed on a stock engine. Check some of the fan sender threads. The by pass switch is effective and popular here. I have both a sender from automotive use and a by pass wired in. every 2 years I flush and replace coolant. Last time I had the right header off I replaced the T-stat. It seems that prevention of going into the hot zone works better than a cooldown once you get hot. It's an issue even in the Northeast in summer.No idea or question is stupid HERE.
Steve

Steve-o

After replacing the coolant with ready to use Prestone, cleaning the thermostat and fixing leaks and I didn't overheat any more. Everything is stock and I'm usually getting caught in hot traffic.

So +1 to a good flushing and cleaning first :p

Latest posts

Back