Scares the bee-jeezuz outta me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's one reason I stay far away from tractor trailers when riding.
The other is that they can't see you very well on a motorcycle.

What a horrible way to go.

I have been hit by a retread before, fortunately I was in a car. Now I'm really glad it was only a tread as i never previously considered a whole wheel coming off an 18 wheeler. It was a hand me down Volvo station wagon and up to that point a solid car. The retread crushed the grill damaging the radiator and more, the windshield was in pieces but the laminate kept the bulk of it in large chunks, and lastly the roof was crushed in about 6 inches. Since it was an older car the insurance company totalled it and I had zero recourse as there was no way to track down the truck it came off of.

Personally I avoid highways while riding if at all possible since there are too many careless cagers. This gives me one more reason to keep avoiding them.

I had a guy (slowly - 50mph ish) pulling a flat bed with a stock car on it BLOW a tire with me only 20' or so behind him. I was getting ready to pass what I thought was just some over-cautious guy pulling a trailer on the hwy. He prolly knew he was nursing a bad tire, but had no way to warn me to stay further back etc... It was getting ready to rain, and I had Shala on the back riding back home from the movies in a nearby town. KAPOW! I had rubber shrapnel all over me and the front of my 85 that time. Luckily, no damage done, and the cars stacked up behind me, also wanting to pass him, all saw what happened and braked heavily to allow me room to do the same w/o fear of being rear-ended.

I've also seen, twice, a tire/wheel combo bouncing down the interstate doing good speed. Once it was on the opposite side of a divided four lane, and that darn tire was bouncing like a football - couldn't tell which way it was going to go next - and after I had passed safely by the area, it actually crossed the median and went into oncoming behind me.

The other time, a guy lost one of his fronts just ahead of us on the interstate. His small SUV slammed down, throwing lots of dust, and everyone slowed. We watched him come to rest half on the shoulder, and his tire/wheel traveled only a few yards further than he did, and came safely to rest down the right side embankment.

This chit happens, and it is for real. I hope I never hit that lottery with just the right timing when my number comes up.

I was going down I 45 in Houston in the fast lane on one of my other Goldwing's & there was a Bronco in front of me & I seen the front of it raise up and then the back tires came off the ground & a tire and wheel came shooting out that had fallen off a trailer in front of him there was no shoulder just the concrete wall & dodged as far left as I could & picked up my leg & it caught the right side of the bike & tore up all kinds of crap. Another one of my oh shit lucky I did not go down moments. I think the Goldwing's are testing me that makes a 4x4 a deer and a tire I have hit on wings with the pure luck of not going down.

I drive tractor trailers. I had a couple blowouts over the summer. One was on a 65 mph highway, and the other was on a 30 mph area. I didn't hit anyone with debris that I know about. With the 30 mph one, I had an 85,000 lb excavator on. I was waiting for more tires to go after. I've also seen a tire come bouncing down the NYS thruway (90). It crossed over the median and hit a car in the other direction. It just did some cosmetic damage. I've never lost a wheel.

I was going down I 45 in Houston in the fast lane on one of my other Goldwing's & there was a Bronco in front of me & I seen the front of it raise up and then the back tires came off the ground & a tire and wheel came shooting out that had fallen off a trailer in front of him there was no shoulder just the concrete wall & dodged as far left as I could & picked up my leg & it caught the right side of the bike & tore up all kinds of crap. Another one of my oh shit lucky I did not go down moments. I think the Goldwing's are testing me that makes a 4x4 a deer and a tire I have hit on wings with the pure luck of not going down.
Living in Pasadena off the 210 I took the 610 loop before the goodyear factory and blew out many a tire from potholes.:confused2:

Back