Seafoam miracle????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOOST

Reaction score
Just got my '97 VMax out of a dealership 8K service. The bike was experiencing a strange hesitaion at about 3500 rpm. At slow speeds the bike ran relatively correct. But once I got it up to highway speed it experienced this odd thing. I could hear the left pipe ( Supertrapps) smooth and clear but it felt a bit underpowered. Then at about 3500 rpm the right pipe would come on to create a more "stereo" note. The right pipe note would go in and out as I demanded more throttle. The Yamaha tech air/fuel adjusted the carbs and sync. He said it still needed carb attention either by entire cleaning of all four or jet work. He did mention that it definitely was the right side carb or carbs ( throttle side ) that were the bugger...but he did get the bike much more tune. When I got it home, I decided to add 3oz of "Seafoam" to my 4 gallons of fuel. This is what happened. After idling for a few minutes, I cracked the throttle which was now crisp and smooth. I was kind of snickering to myself to this "fix". Could this be possible??? I took it for a quick spin around the block and it ran very noticably smooth and very snappy! No wierd in and out exhaust note, pure stereo rumble. Did this stuff actually clear out maybe a dirty jet with a single 3oz squirt of "Seafoam" ??? all I can say is something very good happened...The additional quote for the carb cleaning was $500. That bottle cost me $7. I am a "Seafoam" advocate for sure! :eusa_dance:

I buy a can a sea foam everytime I change my oil.. I love the stuff hopefully it fixed ur problem but yet doubtful with only 3 oz. But you might be lucky!

It does work well, it has helped straighten out Redbone's attitude quite a few times. I always keep a can handy for when I get a bad fill up.

I absolutely love Seafoam. Either on the rocks or with a splash of Coke.
Seriously, my mechanic who is a mechanic for a living and a Vmax psycho like the rest of us said to ditch the "Pea"foam. He uses a bottle of stuff called Mechanic In A Bottle. I know, totally hokey name right! But it does not degrade diaphragms or rubber parts. It's about a third of the size of a Seafoam can and cost me $10 bucks but that is probably the small shop mark up which I don't mind paying.

Just got my '97 VMax out of a dealership 8K service. The bike was experiencing a strange hesitaion at about 3500 rpm. At slow speeds the bike ran relatively correct. But once I got it up to highway speed it experienced this odd thing. I could hear the left pipe ( Supertrapps) smooth and clear but it felt a bit underpowered. Then at about 3500 rpm the right pipe would come on to create a more "stereo" note. The right pipe note would go in and out as I demanded more throttle. The Yamaha tech air/fuel adjusted the carbs and sync. He said it still needed carb attention either by entire cleaning of all four or jet work. He did mention that it definitely was the right side carb or carbs ( throttle side ) that were the bugger...but he did get the bike much more tune. When I got it home, I decided to add 3oz of "Seafoam" to my 4 gallons of fuel. This is what happened. After idling for a few minutes, I cracked the throttle which was now crisp and smooth. I was kind of snickering to myself to this "fix". Could this be possible??? I took it for a quick spin around the block and it ran very noticably smooth and very snappy! No wierd in and out exhaust note, pure stereo rumble. Did this stuff actually clear out maybe a dirty jet with a single 3oz squirt of "Seafoam" ??? all I can say is something very good happened...The additional quote for the carb cleaning was $500. That bottle cost me $7. I am a "Seafoam" advocate for sure! :eusa_dance:

Welcome to the club, sir.

Out by Pembroke tonawanda indian rez. The todem pole and arrow hawk advertise ethanol free gas

I had some drivability problems with my '85 last spring, (even though I don't DRIVE it, I RIDE it!)...
Anyway, I dosed it with half a can of SeaFoam, to a full tank of gas, and took off for a brisk ride. Used the other half can when I refilled after hitting reserve. Bike ran great all summer, and, with a regular sized dose, continues to run fine.

Back