securing the Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smackdown

Reaction score
how do you guys lock up your rides? Are alarm systems the way to go, or are the brake rotor locks a better way? Should I just go down to the hardware store and get a big fat chain and a good padlock? Is the bikes steering lock worth using? Sometimes I HAVE to park where I can't see the bike......well, you know.....mess with my wife......mess with my car......but try to steal my Vmax and it's on...!!!

Trouble is, jam a screwdriver in the typical motorcycle ignition and you can fire it up. I was told sometimes a motorcycle is stolen by putting a scateboard under each tire.

Any ideas welcome,

Smackdown

move to a nicer town.....lol
seriously tho..... I dont lock mine up..... I've even forgot and left my key in it at work (I live in a nice area)

I use a remote control alarm with ignition/start lockout .It came with remote start so soon I am going to relocate the ignition switch to near the petrol cap so it is hiden but seriously if someone wants your bike they are going to get it.A couple of years ago I was at the corner shop when a hd pulled up and the owner walked inside and then a ute stopped right beside it and 3 rather large f-wits got out ,-picked up hd and threw it in the back of the ute and were gone in literally seconds.hd owner walked out of shop ,expression on face, priceless.poor chap .My ex saw it all and still shakes her head at the brazenness of it .best thing to do is leave vmax in loungeroom and ride s$(# box to work .ride safe Kevman

move to a nicer town.....lol
seriously tho..... I dont lock mine up..... I've even forgot and left my key in it at work (I live in a nice area)

+1 to that... That's what insurance is for... lol

I live in a relatively small town (350,000) so no issues. :thumbs up:

When I go out of town I have a cable lock that is made for M/C's. I will use it if I feel it necessary...

I live in a very small town and my father-in-law used to use a simple little trick to keep kids away from the pumpkins this time of year. It had something to do with a battery and an old 6-volt ignition coil. I guess it would shock the piss out of anyone that tried to pick up the pumikin.... wonder if there is any way to convert that idea to a motorcycle?

Awesome idea !

I like the idea of some @hole touching your bike and getting a good zap.....then again I wonder if that would piss them off so much that they might try to kick it over. :bang head:

I use the steering lock when at work, but at home I have a dead bolt on both garage roll-up doors, and two very yappy dogs. The one dog is so spooked if you fart somewhere in the house and she hears it she will bark. Frigg'n annoying after a good bout with some cabbage rolls. :biglaugh:

I thought of a brake lock, but I just haven't taken it serious enough yet to go buy one.

I live in a VERY small town in the U.P. of Michigan and I ileave my key in it all the time, sometimes on purpose and other time just forgetful. I don't have a lock for it, per se, but I do have a plastic cover cable and a good lock I could use.I bet my buddies would give some strange looks if I was to lock it up everytime I was going to leave it unattended, lol.
I have seen that front disc brake lock that doubles as a footpeg. I may get that for my FJR1300 (thinking ahead here) for when I'm travelling, probably get a alarm for it too.

When at home, dispite Kevman976's response about the guys stealing some HD, I think the cheapest way to protect your Max is to get a full-length cover from HD which has an HD emblem boldly enblazened on it. Park your Max, spill a little oil slick under the engine area, then put the HD cover on it. :whistlin:

For backup, I have a loaded snub-nosed S&W near the night stand, and an SKS 7.62mm with 20 round mag (cheap rifle, but deadly) near the front door. :smileystooges:

When out of town, I resort to a Bully brand rotor lock with the little plastic cord run up to the handlebar for a reminder not to try riding off with it still on the rotor.

Thanks for the Bully brand rotor lock idea and the plastic cord up to the handlebar. Hadn't thought how easy it would be to forget the rotor lock is on there. The locking cable idea might work too, if I can figure a place to store it.

However, this thread seems to have taken on a lighter tone, so I thought of a few more ideas for securing the Vmax.........

I'll attach a sidecar. Stick my mother-in-law in it and leave her to watch the bike when I'm otherwise disposed. She'e a real ball-busting Pitbull anyway. No-one would dare come near the bike.......

Maybe I should just bring the bike into the resturant, theater, etc. with me. I see signs that say "No Pets" and "No Guns", but I've never seen one that said "No Motorcycles". Might come in handy at Walmart. I could just ride through the aisles to do my shopping.....

Or I could pull the front wheel like the bicycle riders do and carry it with me. I'll chain the rest of the Vmax to a light pole........

Thanks for the help, I think....

Smackdown

I'll attach a sidecar. Stick my mother-in-law in it and leave her to watch the bike when I'm otherwise disposed. She'e a real ball-busting Pitbull anyway. No-one would dare come near the bike.......

Smackdown

We must be related (same mother-in-law)... That is some funny shit.... All I can picture is a bunch of bearded old bastards at Sturgis dragging around a bunch of front tires with their bikes chained to telephone poles.... then there will always be those bike picked clean, no seat, rusted chain, cause no one in their right mind would claim it.

If someone really wants your bike they are going to get it no matter what you do.

The most you can do is make it difficult to steal (impulsive theft).

Having stated the obvious I thought this was a cool idea from www.vmaxbits.com

"[FONT=arial,helvetica]Fabulous new concept, a disc lock that is also your footrest, you replace your left hand foot peg with this ingenious design foot peg when you stop you remove the foot peg and fit it to your brake disc."

"
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Even if you forget its fitted as soon as you try to ride away you instantly are reminded ..
Now available as a pair, both side match and double the security..
This is unique to Vmaxbitz because because we have to adapt the fitting kit to fit the Vmax footrest.
UK price for Left hand side (as sat on bike) ?55.00 plus ?5 postage.
UK price for matching pair ! left 1 right ?100.00 plus ?5 postage.
USA price for Left hand side (as sat on bike) $110 plus $15 postage.
USA price for matching pair 1 left, 1 right, $200 plus $15 postage"
[/FONT]

Attachments

• hh2a.jpg
    hh2a.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Xtopshot1.JPG
    Xtopshot1.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Xmountkey.jpg
    Xmountkey.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 22
  • xmount.jpg
    xmount.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 19
  • xfitwh3.jpg
    xfitwh3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 26
x2
"the most you can do is make it difficult to steal (impulsive theft)."gleno

locks and chains only keep the honest people honest

the insurance company don't care what precautions you take, its still a stolen bike:confused2:

There is a couple of videos on You Tube showing bikes getting stolen. Basically a van pulls up beside it and 2 guys lift the bike into the van. So, sadly, most locks are useless in this situation.

If you want to locate the stolen bike and arrange some payback there is a couple of manufacturers who make transponders for tracking the bike.

Back