shot blasting the engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..I just got done blasting my engine..It didn't take much because I had already stripped it using some nasty stuff I use to remove powdercoat..I also focused on mainly the case - as I wll do the side covers in the blasting cabinet...
- I wanted to blast it to remove any little bits the stripper missed and remove the metal "wash" film/residue...(probably could have just rinsed it with thinner and it would have been enough,, but thats just me!!)

I plugged and taped, and double checked alot!! - however I missed 1 spot.. and thats all it took... Got glass inside the engine!!..Grr... Spent a good hour or more washing it out...Carb cleaner,blow dry, then rinse with water and blow dry...Cleaning all oil passages just to be safe!! then even wiping the internal surface with wd40 and a clean white rag...

-WHEW....Live and learn I guess.... Oh, the spot I didn't tape up was where the ?stator? wires go through the cover..Missed those 2 slots...!!
-Using the Right duct tape will hold up - however you will have tape/gummy residue to clean up.
-(did not have an oil pan to use use to cover up the bottom,already had powdercoated it...Had a spare set of valve covers/gaskets - but would of had to install cam bearing caps in order to secure them with the bolts, and my bolts were at my other shop...etc... = be a good idea to make covers/block of plates if you plan on doing a few engines...etc..)

- very time consuming - since its my first build!!

Attachments

• 100_0769_blasted.jpg
    100_0769_blasted.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0680_b4Blasting2.jpg
    100_0680_b4Blasting2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 0225082015b_b4.jpg
    0225082015b_b4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 35
Baking soda can be left in the engine (any little bit that gets in there) since it will disolve and be flushed out in the first oil change. The glass bead powder is the same way. Ideally you don't want much in there though.

The metallic tape is something like they seal duct work with. Probably get it from your local hardware/lumber store.

Sean

Back