shot blasting the engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar_sande

Reaction score
HI!

I'm thinking of shot blasting the engine clean of old paint and oxidation and getting it re-painted. Has anyone had any experience in doing this? What kind of preparations need to be done before doing it??

See my pics in the Morleys Muscle website and Morleys Muscle Facebook site. We use plastic media when we blast the engines clean right before paint. A few guys on here have my engines and can attest to how nice they turn out.

Sean

+1 to Sean's engine painting! It looks better than new and have received many compliments on how nice it looks.
Here are the before removal/ painting, then after painting and finally installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0548_1.jpg
    IMG_0548_1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 70
OOOOOH...nice nice. I appreciate the help. However...I think I should join a UK-based forum seeing as I live in England :p Didn't realise this was a US based!

OOOOOH...nice nice. I appreciate the help. However...I think I should join a UK-based forum seeing as I live in England :p Didn't realise this was a US based!

Sure, but there ain't a forum anywhere as good as this one either side of the pond!

And, you can get a lot of parts waaaaay cheaper in the states.

including P&P and possible import taxes? maybe. also...i'm not going to send an engine to the US to get shot blasted :)

hahaha yea I wouldn't ship a motor over and back..

But, often the parts are so much cheaper, if someone in the US buys it and ships it to you for the real posting price (as opposed to the pisstake price given by most fleaBayers and online shops alike) it ends up being a bargain.
Getting round import duties isn't too hard - just need to use the 'gift' and low values on the customs declarations.
Also, a bunch of peeps in the US like stuff from ExactRep, but are put off by the shipping charges. Being in the UK, you can help :)

LOL, I agree, the shipping from Michigan to Kansas was $180.00 one way, which is not too bad. I'm sure shipping from the U.K. would be plenty pricey!

i've been helping out the guys in australia and new zealand for a bit with the same types of things. i think they wanted $400 to ship 4 rotors to NZ!!!!!!! a USPS flat rate box and some ingenous packing i think we got it shipped for $40. Heavy fucker.

WOW! i checked out exactrep and they got some real pimp stuff. Also...SUPER expensive! I'll stay way clear...going to keep restoring the old instead of buying the new :)

hahaha yea I wouldn't ship a motor over and back..

But, often the parts are so much cheaper, if someone in the US buys it and ships it to you for the real posting price (as opposed to the pisstake price given by most fleaBayers and online shops alike) it ends up being a bargain.
Getting round import duties isn't too hard - just need to use the 'gift' and low values on the customs declarations.
Also, a bunch of peeps in the US like stuff from ExactRep, but are put off by the shipping charges. Being in the UK, you can help :)

LOL

Thats what Im doing from a long time :biglaugh:

So what exactly would I have to do to prepare the engine for shot blasting? For example, can I leave the rubber seal of the cam covers or will they get eaten up in the shot blasting process? For the inlet and exhaust ports I was planning to close them off with a metal sheet 2 or 3mm thick. But the other little holes and the cables I have no idea! :(

We have a set of intake block plates custom made. BUT, you could make a set by using a set of stock manifolds. Cut off the risers and weld flat plates to seal the holes. Same with the exhaust. We simply took 4 of the stock rear adapters that bolt to the head. Cut them down flush with the flange and welded the hole closed (put a washer over it then welded the washer hole closed). The bead blasting (don't use anything harder) will not hurt the rubber products. You can use a metal based tape or large rubber plugs to seal off the other locations.

If you can use baking soda (and have the right blasting tip) you will almost polish the engine as it's being stripped.

We fully assemble our engines and then do the blast and paint last.

I could ship out a set of plugs and you can send them back when done if you want. Probably be $15 flatrate shipping to get them to you.

Sean

That's what I've done, I have fully assembled the engine, minus the internals as it is way to heavy to carry around otherwise. I wont be doing the shot blasting my self though, I'll talk to the guy who is going to do it. He's never done an engine before so trying to work around it. Thanks for the offer but I'm sure i can find/make some plugs. I found pictures of a VMax engine belonging to 'Mario' been sand blasted and painted, and noticed the metal based tape you mentioned. Thanks for the help by the way...much appreciated :)

I checked out the local blaster...they do the following abrasives: Chilled Iron/Steel Grit, Aluminium Oxide, Glass Bead Spherical and Glass Grit Angular. Is the glass bead the one you were talking about?

I think all of those are too harsh. Bead blasting is done with plastic pellets I believe, and the best would be to use baking soda crystals - even softer but leaves an amazing finish.

Back