Should I adjust my carbs for these mods?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax06

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had a quick question for you. Do you think it would be worth rejetting/adjusting the carbs on my 06? Its all stock except for a K&N filter, shimmed airbox Y, and supertrapp slip on exhaust (although they have open caps on them so its pretty much straight through). Last time i changed plugs they were a nice light brown and the bike seems to run really well. All I have done to the carbs is sync them with a carbtune. Do you guys think I should do some work to my carbs? The reason I'm asking is it runs so nice I hate to mess with it, but on the other hand I dont want to be giving up 10hp just because I'm afraid of working on it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

If it runs good, plugs are nice looking, why? I do understand though. I've spent lots of time tweeking for a little.
rofl_200.gif

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will follow your advice and leave it as is! I appreciate it.

Should be fine as is BUT, if you like to tweak you may get a bit more out of it by dropping the mains to 150's. Maybe even 147.5

+1 to Mike. Do the carb circuit tests (it's a sticky I think), look at plugs to get an idea of how it's running at different throttle openings. My old setup was similar and I had 147.5 mains.

I'm sure I am wrong, but wouldnt I want to go up on the main jets if anything? I thought that putting a better flowing filter and exhaust would cause me to move more air in and out and thus run to lean?

Vmax06,
the "supertrapp slip on exhaust" with the stock header is not that big of a change (if any) to justify saying your getting " more exhaust" out. Thus no real reason to change the jetting.

Now, if you go to a completly different exhaust system... like a Mark's , than yes, some jetting will be needed for the reasons you stated. Lots of excellent info on this topic in the technical / exhaust section.... check it out.

Freeing up the intake will lean things up a bit.
Freeing up the exhaust will make you a bit rich.

The k&n doesn't help airflow on these bikes. The airbox is the restriction, not the filter. The only upside to a stock k&n replacement on the vmax is that it is reuseable.

The stock headers are the main restriction in the exhaust. You don't really gain anything with a slip on except noise.

Leaning out the mains one or two sizes seem to work for most guys with a setup similar to yours.

Sounds good, hopefully someday I will get a full exhaust for it. Until then I will just leave it alone since you guys have shown me there really isnt a reason to change it. Thanks.

Have any of you guys switched to the 147.5 or 150 mains on a stock bike? Just curious if you noticed much improvement or not.

Completely stock can benefit from a 150 most of the time. Slip-on bikes will run better with the 147.5's most of the time too.

Sean

So would going to four pod filters necessitate a change to 150?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Don't got to the pod filters (stage seven) unless you have a complete aftermarket exhaust (not just slip-ons). Also, you'd need more parts then just the filters for it to even barely run right.

Sean

Don't got to the pod filters (stage seven) unless you have a complete aftermarket exhaust (not just slip-ons). Also, you'd need more parts then just the filters for it to even barely run right.

Sean

Sean's prolly not gonna tout his wares in this context, but I should say you should look into it his Muscle Intake kit. Given the chance again, I think I would've elected to go with it as opposed to the Stage 7 four pod setup. At the time, I hadn't learned of Sean's kit until after I whipped out the wallet to grab up a deal on an S7 kit that the Monkey just couldn't resist. If I understand it correctly the oomph in the S7 lies up in the upper 3/4-WOT power band, whereas the Muscle Kit places it in the mid throttle positions--where it so happens you'll find most of my hooligan antics. It is a very rare occasion, I'm ever at WOT. Even when taunting the Hardley's and putting the squidders in their place, I'm in the 1/2 to 3/4 positions. If I'm not mistaken, some running the Muscle Kit have reported great oomphing up in the upper power band as well.

IMO, the only thing worthy in the S7 kit would be the needles and air correctors , but I suppose, shimming the stock needles prolly can produce the same effect. BTW, the air correctors are ABSOLUTELY necessary when running the individual filters, else the bike'll run like poo (I speak from experience). The MJs that come in the kit (175s and 165s) are too rich for the bike and the PCV setup can be DIY'd for a handful of Lincolns. The S7 springs, if I'm not mistaken (and it wouldn't be the first time mind you), can be DIY'd by simply tying the stock springs. Because I'm keeping VBoost enabled, the S7 stacks are in my parts closet. I haven't got a chance to (and more than likely, I'll prolly won't need to) experiment with the 190 PAJ that is packaged with the S7. Sean's has a lot more useful goodies. It may appear that I'm knocking the S7 but I really am not. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it tremendously (AND BOY AM I EVER!!!). Just my penny-pinching ways are fuzzying up senses. LOL. Who am I kidding? Either one is not wrong. It's what you want and what you make of it.

Not saying anything wrong with slip-ons. It's just for me, when I was ready to upgrade the exhaust I figured if I had the patience to wait for slip-ons, I had enough patience to wait for a full-up. Dude, just enjoy the ride until you have enough coin for a full up exhaust and either DJ's Carb kit or Sean's Intake kit.

1864_two_cents_rev.jpg

Latest posts

Back