Small Arms Ballistics - Demo of Effects of Various Calibers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can see how little shock is generated by a 9mm.. This is why I generally carry a 45.... The military is slowly transitioning away from the 9. It's a bit like bringing a handful of rocks to a gun fight....:rofl_200:

Nice video. I have to agree with Dave about the 9mm even though I own one I occasionally carry. Most of the time I have one of my .45's instead.

I'd like to do a video like that for all the hardware I have, just have to find a cheap source for those drums. :)

10mm's a very good round... Much more stopping power than the 9... 357 SIG falls into the good category too. I have a friend here that builds AR Uppers in both calibers if I'm not mistaken... A pistol and rifle in the same caliber is an awesome combination for when the :hitsfan:... :biglaugh:

reality is, and there is real data to back it up, that there is little difference in one shot stops between 9mm, 40 and 45 when using proper ammo, ie, not fmj. Also, your going to double tap more than likely, at least that how i practice my fighting skills. Also, a poor placed shot is a poor placed shot. All the math and vids and stuff are fun, but on the street, they don't mean any thing. I have no problem carrying a 9 for defense, and I have no problem carrying a 45, or a 44 mag for that matter (used to have a stubby, it was evil)

Good observation EvilD. Proper Bullet in a 380 with good shot placement can be worth more than a badly placed shot with a 45... IMHO, carry as big or small as you are comfortable with shooting. It's better than not carrying at all.

It doesn't matter what you carry, only that you carry.

Having any gun is better than throwing rocks. Well... Unless it's a .25 maybe. :)

It doesn't matter what you carry, only that you carry.

Having any gun is better than throwing rocks. Well... Unless it's a .25 maybe. :)

I mostly agree with this but wanted to add to make sure your proficient with whatever gun you carry. I occasionally teach some firearm classes and it's always amazed me how poorly some people handle their conceal carry weapon. And not only bad shooting, how about practicing to draw your weapon from wherever you carry it. When the dookie hits the fan you won't have the time or clarity you have when you pull your gun out at home to put it in the safe.

It would be nice to have some gun with some know down power like the ones in the video and the one member have mentioned in this thread. But all I have is a 22 rifle with a scoop, a 38 pistol and a 30 cal small type pistol. I know the 22 rifle will knock down a bird, because I had to put one away a few weeks ago because he was crapping on all the cars and trucks and would even sit on one particular window ledge and peck on the window. With all the political unrest I may look into buying something that will have some definite knock down power.

As already stated....it makes no difference what you carry, just that you're comfortable with your choice and confident in your ability to use it.

My personal favorite caliber is the .45 auto but I carry a .38+P stubby just because it's easier for me to handle. Lately I've been thinking about a large capacity .22 as a nice carry choice...light, low recoil, low flash, quick recovery....got a lot of positives.

Self defense is not to be confused with 'range shooting.' You aren't going to have the luxury of sighting in, it'll be a point & shoot situation....at best....and I believe six .22 cal. HP's rounds in the throat will go a lot farther towards saving your life than blowing the end of a toe off with a .44 mag.

Just saying...........

Absolutely Hat!! Lots of little peices do a shitload more damage than just the one little peice!

Probly just rambling tho, more than likely stick with the C/A stubbie, it's small, light and the +P XTP's are adequate.

Back