So what's the deal with 'unrestricted' Maxes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuminaZX

Reaction score
Do the 85-88 bikes REALLY have 145hp and all the subsequent years only 110hp? Or did someone finally put the bike on a proper dyno? I ask as I have an 85 and it doesn't feel 35hp faster than my brother's 98. My ZX12r, on the other hand, DEFINITELY feels 60hp faster. Any thoughts?

The original rating (which is on the title of many years) is 145 hp which is at the crankshaft. There is a lot of power losses through the transmission, rear diff, and wheel. Generally a good stock vmax will make 110-115 with some above and below. A well tuned vmax with header and jet kit will make over 120 with a few just a tad over 130!

Sean Morley

Do the 85-88 bikes REALLY have 145hp and all the subsequent years only 110hp? Or did someone finally put the bike on a proper dyno? I ask as I have an 85 and it doesn't feel 35hp faster than my brother's 98. My ZX12r, on the other hand, DEFINITELY feels 60hp faster. Any thoughts?

The biggest change from '85 to '86 was that the '85 had an non DOT legal exhaust (read less restrictive) and so for '86 they made it DOT legal and then upped the size of the VBoost runners to compensate for the difference in restriction which kept them equal...
:thumbs up:

Back