someone on here can answer this problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosboss

Reaction score
Two days ago I rode the bike home for lunch. When I got back on it to go back to work it had trouble idleing and hesitated off of idle. It would run fine at WOT though. So I check the headers with a laser thermometer to see what cylinders are fucking up. The RH front cylinder is at 100 degrees. RH rear is 200 and the LH sides are 450 or so. I pulled the RH front plug to see what it looks like and it is dry and a nice tan color. So, today I decided to work on it a little. I started it and put my finger over the vent tube on the RH front carb and guess what? After 10 seconds or so tt started to idle normal again and the throttle responce was back. What the hell is going on with that carb guys???

By covering the vent you are leaning out that carb. So, it sounds like you're idle mixture for that carb is rich. Could be dirty air jet and/or purge jet. What is your mixture screw set for that one?

It is set at 2 3/4 turns out. I just replaced the fuel filter also...

Is the choke plunger all the way closed? Float level normal? You could try some Seafoam aka coprunner juice and do the Peashooter.

Choke is closed, not sure about float level. I did unplug the fuel pump and run it out of gas and then plug it back in. That didn't help. I am going to do the shotgun and see if that helps. I don't want to pull the rack if I dont have to.

You don't have to pull the rack for the Peashooter. Just use a straw and remove air box lid.

I did the shotgun on the two RH carbs, replaced the fuel filter and reassembled it. I was able to turn the idle screw back down and it runs better now. I won't be able to take it for a spin untill the wife gets back. :damn angry:

I did however notice that the RH front carb has more fuel comming out on the needle than the rear on the same side at idle. Should you see fuel flowing out on the needle?

BTW my bike has the stage 7 kit.

Hijack

Hey Static X :punk: Thanks for posting that main jet replacement instuctions a while back. I finally got around to changing my jets a while back to what Morley suggested in Topeka. I was really surprised at how easy it was to do. It appears to have better throttle response and I'm hoping my mpg will increase. Although, I havent burned a full tank of fuel on a good long ride yet. Should find out this weekend though.:cheers:

I did the shotgun on the two RH carbs, replaced the fuel filter and reassembled it. I was able to turn the idle screw back down and it runs better now. I won't be able to take it for a spin untill the wife gets back. :damn angry:

I did however notice that the RH front carb has more fuel comming out on the needle than the rear on the same side at idle. Should you see fuel flowing out on the needle?

BTW my bike has the stage 7 kit.

Yep, you'll see a little bit. Make sure you're in sync and your tick over speed is much over 1000 rpms. Also make sure needles are all on the same clip and that the needle spacer is fully seated in the slide.

Judas, anytime! lol

Glad you were able to use them.

Ride safe and see ya in Topeka next year.

I wouldnt mess with the floats. I dont know why guys here think this is something that gets out of whack? Do you float adjusters think that there is a lil man in the float ball who hangs off the float to get them out of adjustment?:ummm: Really??

Anyways sounds like trash in your slow jets.
Can of Seafoam
Compressed air.
Peashooter.
Synch Carbs
Remove all A/F screws and clean them holes out.
Set A/F to header temps 240f Range at idle. start at 2.5 turns out.

I wouldnt mess with the floats. I dont know why guys here think this is something that gets out of whack? Do you float adjusters think that there is a lil man in the float ball who hangs off the float to get them out of adjustment?:ummm: Really??

Anyways sounds like trash in your slow jets.
Can of Seafoam
Compressed air.
Peashooter.
Synch Carbs
Remove all A/F screws and clean them holes out.
Set A/F to header temps 240f Range at idle. start at 2.5 turns out.
I'm with you on this. I don't think anything is out of wack. I put half a can of seafoam in it this afternoon. I'll see if it helps. From all the stuff I did to it today it actually runs a little bit better. Not cured, but better. The only thing I couldn't get apart was the air/fuel mixture screws. I don't have compressed air here at home. Not sure how to go about that...

MY BIKE RAN LIKE SHIT FOR 3,000 MILE'S UNTILL I PUT 9 OZ.'S OF SEA FOAM THOUGH IT & MAN IT'S RUN GREAT FOR THE LAST 1,400 MILES ! I BOUGHT MY 2006 KNEW IN 2007, BUT IT WAS A LEFT OVER & SAT ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR WITH GAS IN IT ! BUT I DID'NT KNOW OR I WOULD HAVE PASSED ! DEALER SCREWED WITH THE CARB'S TWICE , BUT WAS NEVER EVEN 75% UNTILL SEA FOAM ! NOW IT'S 100%:clapping: :punk:

Back