something just doesnt seem right

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Alright. Now that I've been riding my bike over a month now something just doesn't seem right.. cantdrive55 PM'd me about boost not coming on till 7k rpm instead of 6k.. now my bike this morning didn't seem to be performing well.. so I tested boost. It didn't seem to come on?? I hear the servo when I turn ignition on everytime.. usually ill lightly go up in rpm in 1st gear to feel the boost (because its cool) but it doesn't seem to pull until 7-7.5k. Is this right? Now I know its not a sports bike. But for having a dyno sheet for 135hp at the rear wheel I would expect some more out of it.. my last bike 01 Suzuki bandit 1200 seemed to be quicker in first couple gears. I Donno maybe its just me thinking wrong but anyone suggest anything I should check out? The bike pulls hard but figured it would be a little more??? :ummm:

No idea what you should check out but I think 6.5 ish would be as far back as the the vboost goes.

Check the diaphrams in the carburators.
I had the same problem a month ago. First all four where loose. Running bad and V-boost coming in at 7,5/8 RPM
After opening the metal bush was out of the diaphrams.
Put them back together (not knowing they had to be glued)
So after few days had the same problem. Went to the dealer and he glued them back in with some epoxy glue.
Now its running like a now one again.

Good luck

Alright. Now that I've been riding my bike over a month now something just doesn't seem right.. cantdrive55 PM'd me about boost not coming on till 7k rpm instead of 6k.. now my bike this morning didn't seem to be performing well.. so I tested boost. It didn't seem to come on?? I hear the servo when I turn ignition on everytime.. usually ill lightly go up in rpm in 1st gear to feel the boost (because its cool) but it doesn't seem to pull until 7-7.5k. Is this right? Now I know its not a sports bike. But for having a dyno sheet for 135hp at the rear wheel I would expect some more out of it.. my last bike 01 Suzuki bandit 1200 seemed to be quicker in first couple gears. I Donno maybe its just me thinking wrong but anyone suggest anything I should check out? The bike pulls hard but figured it would be a little more??? :ummm:

I've had the same basic thoughts about my 89. It's 126 RWHP. It has tremendous acceleration in the lower gears. To the point that it breaks the tire loose low in the rpm range in first and normally second too. But,, it seems to lack the same kick as my more modest 94, once it hits the Vboost. I think it boils down to the jump in power at the boost point. The 89 continues to make more power but it's not the All At Once Huge Jump in power like the 94.

Also remember that vboost is not an on/off thing - Yamaha programmed it to start opening at 5,750rpm, and be fully open at 8000rpm.

So the 'kick' is really in the 6-8000 range, which tend to happen rather quickly :)

Back