Sounds like a good deal.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Earlier I went by the local Harley dealer here in Lawton, to talk to them to see if they had a dyno, and if so....how much?

Since they wouldnt be tuning my bike...its 85 bucks an hr. As many runs as I want in that hour, the full hr is mine. I was expecting like 100 bucks for 3-4 runs...etc.

One thing that might help is the service manager remembers taking a Vmax for a test drive over 20 years ago. He started smiling when he talked about it. He also talked about taking a hayabusa out to 160...and just wasn't impressed with it.

I picked up a kerker 4-1 from Sean, and so I wanna get before and after numbers, I also want to fine tune on the ignitech advance map.

Best of all they are about 10 mins from my house.

I'll be real keen to see jet settings etc mate.
I'm running the same setup...(assuming you've got morley musce kit) with added 'woohoooo' of flowed heads.

I'll be real keen to see jet settings etc mate.
I'm running the same setup...(assuming you've got morley musce kit) with added 'woohoooo' of flowed heads.

Well just have 147.5's jets in the carbs....dont have the complete muscle jet kit....YET. I want to get a baseline reading before I put on a kerker 4-1 that I had ordered.

LOL....the muscle jet kit will be another project over the next couple of months...lol.

People's jets are crazy with the muscle kit and big pipes. I was reading the muscle jet kit thread and almost started crying the settings were so different.

Posted with my thumbs.

Well let me explain it how I learned it. First of all....it depends on the needles that your running. Stock, stage 7...etc. So the needles job is to fit into the jet...and take up space, and thus only allow a certain amount of fuel to flow thru.

For simplicity sake, these will be big numbers to make it easier. lets say the inner diameter of a jet is 5, and the outer diameter of a needle is 1, so that leaves an area of 4, for the fuel to flow thru.

Ok....now you have a jet with an inside diameter of 6...and a needle with an outer diameter of 2, so that leaves an area of 4 to flow fuel. So even with there being different jet sizes, because of the different needle sizes, they flow the same amount of fuel.

I really like Edelbrock carbs BTW. They have needles and jets.

You can see the pic that I posted of the various different kinds of needles out there. From what Ive learned on this forum once you go with a muscle jet kit (or stage 7) you have 2 options. Go with stock needles....or stage 7 needles. If you go with the stock needles (which are fatter) you have to go with a bigger jet. If you go with a DJ needle (which is skinnier) you can keep the jetting "stock" sizes.

ALSO.....go to the VMOA website, and download copies of boost magazine (Ive read every issue since inception up to 09, still have some more to go). Every summer they would post the numbers from the dyno runs (I believe at thunder). The thing that caught my eye, is that stock Vmax's would be in the 105 to 115 range, and a few with stage 7's would be in the 120's and high teens, but a good portion of the stage 7's would be at stock numbers OR BELOW. I remember seeing a few down into the 90's. That tells me ONE thing.....a LOT of people are too rich. Ive also heard stories on here of people buying stage 7 bikes, and the intakes being FULL of carbon due to unburnt fuel.

Hope this helps, and remember RICH is safe, LEAN is fast.

Attachments

• FP needles.JPG
    FP needles.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 10
Adding a wide band system helped me tune mine to what I feel is near perfection. $150 well spent IMO.

Adding a wide band system helped me tune mine to what I feel is near perfection. $150 well spent IMO.

That is a very good idea....EVENTUALLY....thats what I want to do..lol...it comes down to time and money.

Well let me explain it how I learned it. First of all....it depends on the needles that your running. Stock, stage 7...etc. So the needles job is to fit into the jet...and take up space, and thus only allow a certain amount of fuel to flow thru.

For simplicity sake, these will be big numbers to make it easier. lets say the inner diameter of a jet is 5, and the outer diameter of a needle is 1, so that leaves an area of 4, for the fuel to flow thru.

Ok....now you have a jet with an inside diameter of 6...and a needle with an outer diameter of 2, so that leaves an area of 4 to flow fuel. So even with there being different jet sizes, because of the different needle sizes, they flow the same amount of fuel.

I really like Edelbrock carbs BTW. They have needles and jets.

You can see the pic that I posted of the various different kinds of needles out there. From what Ive learned on this forum once you go with a muscle jet kit (or stage 7) you have 2 options. Go with stock needles....or stage 7 needles. If you go with the stock needles (which are fatter) you have to go with a bigger jet. If you go with a DJ needle (which is skinnier) you can keep the jetting "stock" sizes.

ALSO.....go to the VMOA website, and download copies of boost magazine (Ive read every issue since inception up to 09, still have some more to go). Every summer they would post the numbers from the dyno runs (I believe at thunder). The thing that caught my eye, is that stock Vmax's would be in the 105 to 115 range, and a few with stage 7's would be in the 120's and high teens, but a good portion of the stage 7's would be at stock numbers OR BELOW. I remember seeing a few down into the 90's. That tells me ONE thing.....a LOT of people are too rich. Ive also heard stories on here of people buying stage 7 bikes, and the intakes being FULL of carbon due to unburnt fuel.

Hope this helps, and remember RICH is safe, LEAN is fast.

A lot of good info there.........the best overall running Vmax I had was running a Hindle with a race baffle and a Stage 1 kit with a trimmed air box lid. Everyone will say that the stage 1 kit can not be made to run well but that combination on my Vmax worked flawlessly, no flat spots and made 117 HP.

A lot of good info there.........the best overall running Vmax I had was running a Hindle with a race baffle and a Stage 1 kit with a trimmed air box lid. Everyone will say that the stage 1 kit can not be made to run well but that combination on my Vmax worked flawlessly, no flat spots and made 117 HP.

Thank you...believe me...117 hp is NOTHING to sneeze at.

Latest posts

Back