Spark plug wires...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a bad price. I usually pay about $25 for the wire and boots. The spark plugs aren't included in that auction.

Mark

I just bought regular copper core wire from a local bike shop by the foots. They also had the NGK boots too that you can buy separately.

Mark

Plugs are usually seperate items...

The front wires can be a real beotch to get off... Just an FYI! :whistlin:

But guys, do you have stock coils or aftermarket? The guy at Yamaha acted like the wires on my '86 are attached to the coil and cannot be removed?

MNK

Just an FYI, if your thinking about going to 8mm wires they are a real bastard to get into the stock coil hole, mine fit but I had to "Pencil" the insulation on the end at the coil.

Rusty

Just an FYI, if your thinking about going to 8mm wires they are a real bastard to get into the stock coil hole, mine fit but I had to "Pencil" the insulation on the end at the coil.

Rusty

Can you define "pencil" for the resident noob! :ummm:

:) :) :)

MNK

Correct!

I do high voltage work so sorry for throwing technical slang around with out defining it.

Rusty

In the forums opinion, is it a good idea to bring in the coils inside the house for the winter ? I have read more than once about the housing for the coils cracking. Not sure if this is from heat, cold or vibration but at that cost to replace, it may not be a bad idea ? Yes ? or If they're going to crack it will just happen no matter what ?

Any feedback on this - anyone ! :confused2:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you mentioned the coils I had a brain fart....somewhere in there.

I found two of the coils on my 99 cracked when I was looking for some sort of ignition problem that turned out to be a bad TCI. They ohmmed out fine but I replaced 'em with Dyna coils anyway.

We rarely get freezing weather here in Houston area (2 three times a year and then just barely) but the bike originally came from Ft. Worth and they do get freezing weather fairly often through the winter months.

It might be attributable to that but my gut instinct is that the coil cracking is not weather related but a basic material defect in the type of plastic they used. The stuffs almost like bakelite.....pretty old school..

My second thought is "it's a freakin' PITA to pull the front coils; You sure your wife won't let you park the bike in the living room for the winter?"

If I could get it in the house, believe me I would - I don't care if she said she wouldn't screw me all winter, as long as my bike would have been warm. :banana:

I got a big garage, but it still gets 20 below out there. I just might bring them in for the winter. Will see.

Thanks for the reply Rusty.

original seller lists 3 auctions with the same NGK "SD05FP" caps. what gives. he lists one as "classic" and another as PRO COMP and then the third (that comes with plugs) as High Performance.

the caps are cheap alone at only a few bucks but I will probably pull the trigger on his auction. can Any of you guys tell the difference in the wires he's using or is he essentially using the same parts over all 3 auctions.

original seller lists 3 auctions with the same NGK "SD05FP" caps. what gives. he lists one as "classic" and another as PRO COMP and then the third (that comes with plugs) as High Performance.

the caps are cheap alone at only a few bucks but I will probably pull the trigger on his auction. can Any of you guys tell the difference in the wires he's using or is he essentially using the same parts over all 3 auctions.

Link to the auction? :ummm:

Who is the seller? If it's spirit something or other I know the guy personally and can get you a better price I am sure then his ebay ad.

Sean

i bet thats a pretty good profit... buy the caps at a cou-ple bucks a piece and keep a good stock of wire on hand.

I just went through putting new wires and plugs on my V-Max so here is my experience with Ebay. I got a little confused at the number of options for the plug and wire kits so I sent a note to [lostandfound101]. They wrote back and detailed what the differences were between the kits. They did not have the kit listed that I wanted so they made a listing for me. I wanted the highest quality silicon wire with the additional silicon jacket, NGK Caps and NGK plugs. The cost was $42.00. Shipping was very fast. I think this was the best customer service I had ever gotten on any purchase made on E-Bay. I highly recommend any purchase through them.

:punk:

Back