'Splain me this! (Vboost)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought an 1988 vmax and was told that the vboost had been removed. I don't notice any kick at 6k. The bike has great power. Does anyone know about this and would I get an improvement in performance if I were to reinstall the Vboost? Do I have to have the factory air box? I currently have K&N type individual filters for each carb. Thanks.

sounds like u have a stage 7.....

i'll let someone who knows more explain it from there...

Individual K&N's is a sign of having the Dynojet stage 7 kit installed. To see if vboost has been removed or not - take the lower chrome carb/intake manifold covers off and have a look at the center of the manifold crossover section - if only am round aluminum tube, than vboost removed. Another way is to take faux tank cover off - look down between carb bank where the manifolds are, see if there is a cable attached - if not, no vboost.

Also check electrical plug at controller under left scoop and at servo motor under faux cover.

Mike

I recently bought an 1988 vmax and was told that the vboost had been removed. I don't notice any kick at 6k. The bike has great power. Does anyone know about this and would I get an improvement in performance if I were to reinstall the Vboost? Do I have to have the factory air box? I currently have K&N type individual filters for each carb. Thanks.

Sounds like a stage 7, pretty common to have ppl run the stage 7 w/o Vboost.

I don't think you would see any big deal in performance. If its running strong, I'd let it be.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

Individual K&N's is a sign of having the Dynojet stage 7 kit installed. To see if vboost has been removed or not - take the lower chrome carb/intake manifold covers off and have a look at the center of the manifold crossover section - if only am round aluminum tube, than vboost removed. Another way is to take faux tank cover off - look down between carb bank where the manifolds are, see if there is a cable attached - if not, no vboost.

Also check electrical plug at controller under left scoop and at servo motor under faux cover.

Mike
Hey guys, Im a newbie to the forum and the vmax. I have a 1990 with a stage 7 kit. I dont feel any boost at 6k rpms. Also i don't hear any sound when i turn the key on other than the fuel pump. Would it benefit me to try and get the v-boost working again or leave it alone? I have only put 20 or so miles on it so far and it seems to run well. Also have full Kerker exhaust and 4 K&N filters. I kinda feel like i'm missing something. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey guys, Im a newbie to the forum and the vmax. I have a 1990 with a stage 7 kit. I dont feel any boost at 6k rpms. Also i don't hear any sound when i turn the key on other than the fuel pump. Would it benefit me to try and get the v-boost working again or leave it alone? I have only put 20 or so miles on it so far and it seems to run well. Also have full Kerker exhaust and 4 K&N filters. I kinda feel like i'm missing something. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi and welcome to the forum....

The reason you arent feeling any extra kick in (almost like the 4 barrels kicking in on all muscle car) is because your bike has a stage 7 jet kit which most opt to use a device called V-BOOST Eliminator Tubes it removes the option... Trust me I have removed my Vboost basically your bike is tuned to run VBOOST all the time. No worries nor losses your ahead of the game with your setup If you want to read more about this do a google search keywords vboost elminator

The vboost might just be unplugged. Nice thing about vboost is it's much easier to sync your carbs.

yea AFAIK with stage 7 the vboost gets removed or stays open at all times. But like Mark says, it's harder to sync without it..
Still, the idea is that you have a bike with 'always on' boost, which in theory should be faster!

I guess you could always stick a coupla burritos in there then you get the burrito boost when they pop through the hole :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back