springs for r1 setup on max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
getting ready to install ANOTHER newer r1 front end on the bike using the otec triples this time. the current setup is an 03 r1 with cycleoneoff triples-inside the forks are what was there when i got the setup. i'm switching to an 05 r1 radial mount setup and want to know if i should be beefing up the springs in the new forks? what should i get and who would you recommend? particularly interested to hear what others who are running this setup have done to keep the bike from diving in the front under hard braking. any help and input will be appreciated.

regards odieoh24

Go with Race tech or Hyperpro. I've got Hyperpro in mine and like'em. Also revalve as well (Race tech gold valves). You can custom set up to your riding prefs.

getting ready to install ANOTHER newer r1 front end on the bike using the otec triples this time. the current setup is an 03 r1 with cycleoneoff triples-inside the forks are what was there when i got the setup. i'm switching to an 05 r1 radial mount setup and want to know if i should be beefing up the springs in the new forks? what should i get and who would you recommend? particularly interested to hear what others who are running this setup have done to keep the bike from diving in the front under hard braking. any help and input will be appreciated.

regards odieoh24

http://www.traxxion.com/
http://www.le-suspension.com/

I have used them both with good results.

not as worried about where to find them as i am the "size??". i talked to a lady at race tech today and asked what the stock spring size for an 05 r1 was-she said .93 when i asked what the heaviest springs available were she said a 1.2 for a cost of $129.00 per pair. does this info sound right to any of you guys who have upgraded your fork springs? please tell me more about the gold valve emulators-i'm a mechanical idiot when it come to vehicles. thanks again

odieoh24

Well this questions brings out the noob in me.
I'm trying to learn about the dynamics of riding as well as the mechanics of a VMax. So forgive me but this is a related question.
Wouldn't you want a little bit of a dive, not the plunge the stock forks have, but just a slight dive to allow the weight of the bike to transfer to the front wheel for traction in hard braking?
I'll be getting my Raceteks in May. And it can't get here soon enough! :drool:

Well this questions brings out the noob in me.
I'm trying to learn about the dynamics of riding as well as the mechanics of a VMax. So forgive me but this is a related question.
Wouldn't you want a little bit of a dive, not the plunge the stock forks have, but just a slight dive to allow the weight of the bike to transfer to the front wheel for traction in hard braking?
I'll be getting my Raceteks in May. And it can't get here soon enough! :drool:
the vmax is a 100+lbs heavier than the r1. a little dive to allow for weight transfer during braking,to get traction is acceptable, but at this point i'm just barely scraping the front headers. the cycleoneoff triple setup requires the use of 2" extensions, which i was not aware of last year. the bike is loooooow. without measuring i'd say 5 inches-before i plop my 200lb ass on there. wanted to use the otec triples but settled for the current setup. now i've got my otecs and an upgraded front fork setup. the otec triples are supposed to be designed to accept the r1 forks and keep the bike close to the stock ride height. we'll know for sure in a few weeks.

later odieoh24

not as worried about where to find them as i am the "size??". i talked to a lady at race tech today and asked what the stock spring size for an 05 r1 was-she said .93 when i asked what the heaviest springs available were she said a 1.2 for a cost of $129.00 per pair. does this info sound right to any of you guys who have upgraded your fork springs? please tell me more about the gold valve emulators-i'm a mechanical idiot when it come to vehicles. thanks again

odieoh24

I don't want to bust your balls but... "the lady" at race tech may not be the best source for info. Do some real research so YOU no what works best for your application. I have been down this road before and you get what you pay for. You are using forks that are designed for a sport bike on a heavy "Muscle Bike" If the forks are not setup for the weight of you and the bike you will find that the fork ajustments will be useless. Good luck setting the sag and getting the bike not to dive durring braking. And if it dosen't dive then it will ride like sh*t on the bumps. Remember you also have a 17" wheel on the front which lowers the bike even more.

You have now changed the complete front suspension of your bike, Do you real know what your doing? Think about it.

I don't want to bust your balls but... "the lady" at race tech may not be the best source for info. Do some real research so YOU no what works best for your application. I have been down this road before and you get what you pay for. You are using forks that are designed for a sport bike on a heavy "Muscle Bike" If the forks are not setup for the weight of you and the bike you will find that the fork ajustments will be useless. Good luck setting the sag and getting the bike not to dive durring braking. And if it dosen't dive then it will ride like sh*t on the bumps. Remember you also have a 17" wheel on the front which lowers the bike even more.

You have now changed the complete front suspension of your bike, Do you real know what your doing? Think about it.

Try reading this, it will give you some great info.
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0402_susp/index.html

I don't know why people make such a big deal of that fact that it came off a light sport bike so it can't work on the heavy VMax. I know on my 06 R1 it came with inverted Kayaba 43 mm forks.. the same diameter size of the VMax. The Kayabas, of course, have way more adjustability than the stock Vmax forks, so it is only a matter of sizing the right spring.

I don't know why people make such a big deal of that fact that it came off a light sport bike so it can't work on the heavy VMax. I know on my 06 R1 it came with inverted Kayaba 43 mm forks.. the same diameter size of the VMax. The Kayabas, of course, have way more adjustability than the stock Vmax forks, so it is only a matter of sizing the right spring.

Ya buster, your right. Light sport bike...heavy V-MAX it makes no difference, just slap them forks on a go. Ya that's the ticket. Good Luck.

Ya buster, your right. Light sport bike...heavy V-MAX it makes no difference, just slap them forks on a go. Ya that's the ticket. Good Luck.

Try reading my complete post. Obviously the springs need to be heavier but everyone makes it sound like the SS forks are the size of toothpicks compared to the stock VMax forks.

I agree with you Gary. With the tubes being the same size the internals is what's important. As long as the tubes are the same size and the correct triple trees are used.

Mark

Try reading my complete post. Obviously the springs need to be heavier but everyone makes it sound like the SS forks are the size of toothpicks compared to the stock VMax forks.

Its got nothing to do with the size of the forks, although the R1 forks are 4" shorter than the stock V-Max forks. If anything the R1 forks will be stronger because of the upside down design. The issue is the valeving, dampening and weight of the V-Max. Slapping a set of springs in R1 forks and expecting them to work correctly is a joke. But I guess most people that do the conversation do it more for looks than handling.

Buster do you have R1 forks on your bike? I have had the GSXR1100 forks on my bike for 6 years now and have had them professionally rework to perform on my Max. I first had the Race Teck 1.0 springs, when that didn't work great I decided to do it the right way and it made a great improvement. So I guess do what you want, its your bike, knock yourself out.

Nobody,
So what exactly did you do for your set up? you tried racetech 1.0, you didnt like it, and???? you stated you had them profesionally built, what did you have done and by who? I did notice your link to traxxion.
The whole point of odie asking the question is to get replies from others who have experienced this. So please elaborate a little more on what you had done and why your new set up is better than the racetechs
I also am installing r1 forks and have been told to go with racetech 1.0 or 1.2. I have not purchased them yet. I'll wait to hear what you did first. I am also in talks with ohlins.

Nobody,
So what exactly did you do for your set up? you tried racetech 1.0, you didnt like it, and???? you stated you had them profesionally built, what did you have done and by who? I did notice your link to traxxion.
The whole point of odie asking the question is to get replies from others who have experienced this. So please elaborate a little more on what you had done and why your new set up is better than the racetechs
I also am installing r1 forks and have been told to go with racetech 1.0 or 1.2. I have not purchased them yet. I'll wait to hear what you did first. I am also in talks with ohlins.

I actually had two sets of forks re-worked. The GSXR1100 forks on my Max and the R1 forks on my Warrior. Now I could spoon feed you all the specs and info on what was done but then it would just be my words. So I suggest you do what I did. I read as much technical info I could find on the application, I spoke with several technicians at difference companies and I made an educated decision based on what I learned.

I used http://www.le-suspension.com/ to do my Max forks. Not cheap but they are the real deal. Go to the web site and see what they offer, then give Lindermann a call.

I used http://www.traxxion.com/ to do my Warrior R1 forks. Now I didn't get the full deal done because it wasn't necessary for the application. They had great customer service also.

So... it's your bike, you are going to have to ride it. You need to decide what is best for your needs based on your priorities, not mine.

And always remember... its only money, you can't take it with you.

Latest posts

Back