Squatter vs. homeowner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
What is 'right' about this scam? Claim you have a 'lease' and paid $$$ in rent, and change-out the lock, and you can stay in someone else's home for free. A commenter suggested buying-off the squatter for $3-4K; another said, "wait until they leave, change the lock, and throw all their stuff onto the swale. Since it's your house to begin with, and it's not your name on the lease, what claim does she have to being there? Oh, and change any utilities back to your name."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/couple-continues-fight-evict-woman-residing-sale-home/story?id=38319406

An Idaho couple, desperate to remove a woman they say moved into a vacant for-sale home of theirs without permission, got a shocker recently when a judge denied their request for an expedited eviction.

"We don't have any rights right now," Brian Prindle told ABC affiliate KIVI-TV on Monday after the court hearing. "I'm sick to my stomach," his wife, Renea Prindle, said.

In 2015, the Prindles moved out of the home in Nampa, Idaho, to fix it up and put it on the market. They said they went by the home regularly. In March, when they found a buyer out of California for the property, the Prindles again checked on the home and say they got quite the surprise: A woman they didn't know had taken up residence.

Debbra Smith said she'd signed a one-year lease to rent the home from a man and had given him more than $1,500 in deposits and rent.
"[He] had the key, went in, showed me the house," Smith told KIVI-TV.
The Prindles said they'd never heard of either the supposed lessor or Smith. The Prindles' names are not on Smith's lease.

"I don't know if this is a lease that she made up. I don't know if somebody scammed her. But it was clearly not a lease that was authorized by the homeowners," the Prindles' lawyer, Tiffany Hales, told KIVI-TV.

When the Prindles called police, they said they were told that Smith had a lease and could stay. "They told me, I have every right to stay there if I have nowhere else to go because I did have the lease," Smith said.

The Prindles and their lawyer had requested an expedited eviction based on Idaho code that allows for faster proceedings if there is evidence that a tenant has used, produced or sold drugs in the residence.

Brian and Renea Prindle told KIVI-TV that they'd found two small bags that smelled like marijuana in the home, but that they'd failed to get them tested.
"I just didn't realize the judge would ask for it to be tested," Renea Prindle said. "It's kind of hard to test something when you're not allowed to take anything from the home."

The Prindles have not been allowed in the home by the police and were told to give Smith privacy. In a statement, Nampa police said the prosecutor's office had informed authorities that the case was a "civil matter." Facing rising legal fees, the couple filed regular eviction paperwork today that gives Smith 20 days to respond. The process could take an additional 60 to 90 days.

After Monday's ruling, the Prindles said they could possibly lose the sale because the buyer might back out. "We told the cops we don't know this woman," Renea Prindle said. "Our home is not for rent. Our signatures are not on the lease agreement. ... She's trespassing. ... We're not landlords and she's not our tenant."

Yep, the pendulum has swung to far to the left. The legal home owners have no rights.

EDIT*** When did personal accountability and personal responsibility die?

I guess they don't have castle doctrine in Idaho. I would have evicted her at gunpoint and thrown all her crap out. Since when is trespassing legal? The fact the court did not immediately rule in favor of the owners is absurd. If the lady was indeed duped by a scam artist shame on her for not doing due diligence before signing a lease. If she is still paying rent it should be easy to corroborate her story by following the money and arresting the other guy. Doesn't matter how she got there, she's trespassing and should be out, period.

This Judge should be run out of town. Ill bet if this was his home the women would be out on the streets looking for a new place to live.

This has happened a at least once to an ayrbnb renter, they stay a night, then stay long term and the eviction process is tedious and expensive. It's a loophole that should be closed in every state. Seemingly no legal recourse. I think between my son and I we could convince them that its in their best interest to go ahead and leave. If they rent from you and pay one month and stop paying it would take you several more to legally get them out. Fucking freeloading parasites.

This has happened a at least once to an ayrbnb renter, they stay a night, then stay long term and the eviction process is tedious and expensive. It's a loophole that should be closed in every state. Seemingly no legal recourse. I think between my son and I we could convince them that its in their best interest to go ahead and leave. If they rent from you and pay one month and stop paying it would take you several more to legally get them out. Fucking freeloading parasites.
90 days in Ca after 1 month paid rent. That is why you pay 1st month and last month plus security deposit. I cannot tell you how many tenants I have served and returned to get out.

I guess they don't have castle doctrine in Idaho. I would have evicted her at gunpoint and thrown all her crap out. Since when is trespassing legal? The fact the court did not immediately rule in favor of the owners is absurd. If the lady was indeed duped by a scam artist shame on her for not doing due diligence before signing a lease. If she is still paying rent it should be easy to corroborate her story by following the money and arresting the other guy. Doesn't matter how she got there, she's trespassing and should be out, period.

Agreed !

Sometimes woman can be difficult. Gee, just saying..lol. Ask me, never mind don't ask me how I know. There was still a squatters law on the books last time checked, in R.I. Of course for a small fee there are people in Providence that could convince the little lady to be moving on like real soon like. Does use know whata I mean.

Sometimes woman can be difficult. Gee, just saying..lol. Ask me, never mind don't ask me how I know. There was still a squatters law on the books last time checked, in R.I. Of course for a small fee there are people in Providence that could convince the little lady to be moving on like real soon like. Does use know whata I mean.
Steve-o, I am one of those guys- with a badge.

One thing for people to think about. Yes, it would be easy to move her out by force, hell there are lots of Cops, or people in positions of authority to do it. Something to think about.....how many of those people in positions of authority have we bitched about here on this forum?

How many videos of Cops crossing the line have we seen on this forum?

Eviction comes after 1 Social Visit used to explain the possible option. Lots of Sharks around Florida. Little chum and it's over. Use the right people and it's easy and a one day operation.:ummm::rofl_200:

One thing for people to think about. Yes, it would be easy to move her out by force, hell there are lots of Cops, or people in positions of authority to do it. Something to think about.....how many of those people in positions of authority have we bitched about here on this forum?

How many videos of Cops crossing the line have we seen on this forum?

Sometimes cops cant do what has to be done, their hands are tied and there is nothing they can legally do. What this kind of squatting amounts to is theft sanctioned by the law. I *generally* do not like or trust cops and getting them involved only stands to complicate things further.

I once feigned a pluming issue to get a bitch out that I was stupid enough to let move in with me for a few weeks, it turned into a few months. I had no shower, toilet or running water for several days r/t a "rotten pipe under the house" but bitch left in a few days. I would examine pluming or electrical problems as a possible route.

Sometimes cops cant do what has to be done, their hands are tied and there is nothing they can legally do. What this kind of squatting amounts to is theft sanctioned by the law. I *generally* do not like or trust cops and getting them involved only stands to complicate things further.

True....I am a big fan of the adage of "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

There are always ways that you can "fake" the squatter out of the house...etc.

So...here is another question....how many people on here have bitched about Obama and his abuse of presidential power? Lots, and so have I. So, if you have ANYONE else who is a cop, or in a position of authority, and they will say, well "I will just force her out or do what I want...because I can, because I am high muckity muck muck, then it is still abuse of power, and I am ashamed of you, and I am ashamed for you.

Cops as a whole deserve our respect, they have a very difficult job to do, but I am VERY aware of the ones that enjoy the power that they have, like to use it, and need to be stripped of the power that they have.

Unfortunately the Good ones, are all seen and judged by the bad ones.

Ok, off my soap box now, I will now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Back