Stage 1? Stage 7? new owner confused!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roodillom

Reaction score
I have a 2007 and I was looking into a stage 1 kit and then I saw a stage 7 kit and now I don't know what to do. Are there stages 2-6 as well? Never heard of those if there are. What is the benefit and difference of a Stage 1 kit and a Stage 7 kit? I think the Max has plenty of horsepower but could use some torque so I'd be going for torque. Also, what is involved with installing the kits? Is it done with the carbs still on the bike? I have a nightmare vision of dropping a jet into a carb...

Ok, there are ONLY stage 1 and stage 7, no 2-6. With the stage 1, you get different jets, springs, needles. The ONLY usable part for a Vmax is the needles, and even then they are on the verge of being too rich.

With stage 7, you get all the above, pod filters, air correctors, plus V-boost delete tubes.....you can throw those away as well.

Stage 7 works IF you throw the directions out of the window, they will have you set the bike up PIG RICH, and the Vmax likes to be LEAN.....13.6-14.0 lean. People on this forum can help you set them up.

Sean also sells a muscle jet kit. It does away with you air box lid, (His has a filter in the lid itself) you keep the velocity stacks so you get extra torque thru midrange. It uses some stage 7 parts, so its is a hybrid kit, that people have had good luck with.

OH, you need a full aftermarket exhaust for ANY of these kits.

There are some good dyno threads on here.

+1 , if you are stock exhaust you be better off re jetting and if need be a shim on the stock needles....

If I recall from your intro thread you have a full exhaust already...

I bought mine with full Kerker exhaust and a K&N drop in, stage 1 kit already installed. It was a disaster. It was so SOO so very rich it stumbled badly at 4k and fumed out riders behind me, and lacked that Vmax punch. Now that I have most of the stage 1 kit removed and leaned WAY out I can see just how bad it was before. I think I have picked up 30hp just by getting the jetting fairly close to correct. My input is DO NOT buy a stage 1 kit, do not even accept one as a gift.

If I could rewind time to when I first bought the bike, knowing what I know now, I would just completely discard the stage 1 and buy Morleys complete jet kit and be done with it. After reading what people that got it have said and viewing the dyno charts I cant think of any good reason to buy anything else.

^ I agree casey, If I had a full aftermarket exhaust I'd Definitely go with a Morley jet kit myself.
The Stage 7 kits seems to be better for top end (if set up correctly) BUT the Morley kit is better for everyday riding (better low and mid range).

Does anyone know what the Dale Walker Stage 1 kit entails? I believe that's the one that came with my bike. The needles are definitely stock, but the mixture screws were messed with. I forgot to check the pilot jet #'s when I had the slide covers off.

Does anyone know what the Dale Walker Stage 1 kit entails? I believe that's the one that came with my bike. The needles are definitely stock, but the mixture screws were messed with. I forgot to check the pilot jet #'s when I had the slide covers off.
As far as I know the Dale Walker Stage 1 kit is just a DynoJet Stage 1 kit sold by Dale Walker.

I agree with all those who say the Morley kit, I had one installed in my last Gen 1 a 2007 and it ran nice. If you are going to spend the money you should try to get what you'll use the most. Sean's kit does that.

Back