starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxrom

Reaction score
Hy,
is there anay spacer (or wave washer) in back of the 72 thooth idle gear on the starter clutch:ummm:

While i put every thing back in place this big gear at the back of fly-wheel as a free play (back n forth) of about 0,080`` and it dose`nt allow with the little 27 thoot gear. And this spacer is not shown in anay drawing.

There is a little spacer that sits in the back of the flywheel before you put the clutch back on.

is this spacer a wave washer or a standard steel spacer, if so do anay knows it`s thickness.
i will have make it myself because it dose`nt apear in anay part list:bang head:

thak`s

is this spacer a wave washer or a standard steel spacer, if so do anay knows it`s thickness.
i will have make it myself because it dose`nt apear in anay part list:bang head:

thak`s

Following is from a Venture, but I am 98.8% sure they are the same.

1.914" O.D. x 1.378" I.D. x 0.020" thick

You have to pull the starter clutch outer assembly off to get to it.

Item #12 in parts fiche from a 1990 Venture attached below.

Gary

Attachments

• Starter clutch fiche.jpg
    Starter clutch fiche.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4814.jpg
    IMG_4814.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4815.jpg
    IMG_4815.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4816.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 20
Following is from a Venture, but I am 98.8% sure they are the same.

1.914" O.D. x 1.378" I.D. x 0.020" thick

You have to pull the starter clutch outer assembly off to get to it.

Item #12 in parts fiche from a 1990 Venture attached below.

Gary
not that shim:bang head::bang head:
the one behind the part number 6 on drawing and as i told IT IS NOT SHOWN IN ANAY PART LIST:damn angry:
this gear is now to much in the button and it dose not alline with the little starter gear
the shim thickness should be around 0,090``

The only shim there is related to the flywheel or starter clutch is the one pictured. There is specifically NOTHING behind the ring gear and engine block.

Thought I would share this with the forum.

Here is the cause of chatter in my starter clutch. The clutch housing has three fractures. Two are clearly visible and one is just starting in one of the other roller housings.

Good thing the housing has a sleeve otherwise these bits would have been flying around in the stator case!!!!

This starter clutch has 116,000kms on it.

I wonder how many times it was used??

Attachments

• start1.jpg
    start1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
  • start2.jpg
    start2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 30
Yep, that's what causes the box of rocks sound. The metal retainer does work well for holding it all together but i've seen them get chewed up too.

Sean

Back