starter engages while riding???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules

Reaction score
Haven't ridden the bike in a couple of weeks limped the bike to a friend s house cause the oil and fuel light went on at the same time[starter was engaging]turned off bike with kill switch,turned kill switch back on to have the bike turning over by itself,the gray start switch was all the way out!!

Any ideas what is causing this which switch,wiring connection??? could the kickstand switch have anything to do with it,what would cause the starter to kick on besides the gray start switch?

This problem is intermittent! usually while riding! don't want to tear my flywheel up!

Sounds like your starter Solenoid / Relay. Is there anything shorting this out?
The start button wouldnt cause this only if the bike is in Neutreul, or when in gear if the clutch is pulled in.

Even if the button popped out it could still be engaged.

tear into the sucker, clean her out gooder' and let us know if it worked.

Make sure the thick black and red wires fastened to the starter relay aren't touching. Next, test the blue/white wire going into the starter relay. If there's voltage there then the starter relay isn't the problem. You need to see why that blue/white wire is energized and trips the relay. Check for a starter button short and follow that blue/white wire to the starting circuit cutoff relay, etc.

If there isn't voltage at the blue/white wire then disconnect the battery and measure resistance from red white to black wire. If it doesn't read OPEN then the relay is stuck to on and will need to be replaced.

I am just asking this for a second opinion.
About the blue and white wire.

He says the starter kicks in when the bike is running.

I can push my starter button all day long while my bike is running and the starter isnt going to be activated unless one of these closes the circuit..

You can delete the starter button from your troubleshooting unless you have your clutch switch, kickstand switch and neatruel over ridden with a jumper.. I believe its the solenoid....from what he has told me.

On/Off Button
Kickstand.
Neatruel.

No argument from me Lankee. The red and black cables that power the starter motor are close together so they may be shorting out.

No argument from me Lankee. The red and black cables that power the starter motor are close together so they may be shorting out.

I can see this. Ok wouldnt this also blow his main fuse if it was a short
:ummm:

Where is my burrito I am hungry burrito supllier?:rofl_200:

Lankee, I mean short across the starter relay. The starter motor is the load so probably wouldn't blow the main fuse. If it was shorting to ground, definitely.

LoL....will this burrito do?

gorditos-baby-size-burrito.jpg

Lankee, I mean short across the starter relay. The starter motor is the load so probably wouldn't blow the main fuse. If it was shorting to ground, definitely.

Hmm not sure, I know you are very good with the VMAX wiring but I am saying it would be popping main fuses like popcorn.. I am just going to sit back :th_favorites24:until he tracks down this electrical issue. We gave him some ideas for a start...

I will let you guys know what I find I haven't had a chance to mess with it [been working my but off] maybe Sunday Ill get a chance to check it out

Thanks for all the tips!!

:ummm: LOL.. OK, you've really got to explain that picture! :biglaugh:

Buster, that's a burrito.....and that ain't sour cream. lol

I believe we have a little discrepency on the blue/white wire. It is hot all the time from the solenoid. Pressing the starter switch grounds and completes the circuit. He could have a short to ground in the blue/white wire and this would cause the starter to spin while the engine is running. I'd ohm the blue/white after disconnecting it from the solenoid. May have to wiggle the harness to duplicate running conditions.
My 2 cents.
FW

My experience is that the start button wiil engage the starter motor when the engine is running.

You just don't know it because the engine is spinning faster than the starter motor and therefore will not engage the sprag clutch since it's a one way mechanical clutch.

I use the start button all the time to flash the headlight, when I had the stock exhaust I could actually hear the starter motor spinning I believe.

This may not be a good practice tho since I'm replacing my starter clutch this weekend, although It has been 35,000 miles of me doing this, 40,000 on the bike total, before the clutch took a dump. I don't know if it's related or not.

Back