starter removal....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try with them in and see.The exhaust is definately in the way.Two bolts and one wire and an o-ring on the end is all that hold it in.

The left side cover has oil in it to bathe the starter gears and flywheel, so it iwll leak.
The coolant distribution tube is directly in front of the starter and will mak eit very diffiecult to remove.

I would leave the stator cover on unless you are going in to the starter clutch.Its pretty high up on the motor to have oil leak out.

I would leave the stator cover on unless you are going in to the starter clutch.Its pretty high up on the motor to have oil leak out.

yea....I found that out on my own last summer....lol
Talk about being shocked.....oil started pouring out....wholly shit!
Never put bolts back in sooo fast!

I do leave the oil in to work on the clutch.Works good when its on the side stand.

Bump

I am pulling my old starter and have had to pull the coolant hoses. No Biggie

Question is.... Do I need to disassemble any of the water pump housing on the right side??? The gears wont clear the left side housing before it butts up against the housing :damn angry:

Thanks in advance

Cheers:cheers:

I think you need to remove the drain cock assembly.

Remove inboard bolt of the thermostat cover and try to pull the drain cock assembly forward a bit.

It may be easier to remove drain hose from thermostat housing, remove radiator hose from the drain cock assembly and remove coolant manifold hose from drain cock and just get the whole thing out of the way.

You may need a new o-ring where the drain cock fastens to the thermostat housing and an o-ring for the starter motor.

Mark

Back