Starting Problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopheos

Reaction score
OK, so this past fall the 85 max was running poorly, backfiring some, hesitating, so I decided to do some winter maintenance. Took the 4-1 Holeshot off (put stock pipes with aftermarket cans), removed the gas tank (which was full of rust, so I did the Por15 treatment on it), replaced the gas filter, fitted shorter shocks, removed and cleaned battery box, and put it all back together and tried to fire it up this afternoon. The motor will crank fine but won't run. Do I have to prime the thing or something, since the fuel system was broke into and the tank dry? I cranked it for a while (on and off) but it wouldn't catch. It was running (poorly) before I did all this, any hints on why it won't run now? I haven't done anything to the carbs, but I figured it would at least run as well as it had when I started all this. Frustrating, especially with the nice weather here. Any suggestions on diagnosing the problem? Thanks for any help.

If your tank was full of rust, then your fuel pump, all fuel hoses and the carbs will need to be cleaned.

Rust dust is a right bitch, it'll clog hoses and keep needle valves from shutting properly, as well as clogging all your jets.

I think your first thing would be to make sure you're getting gas out of the fuel pump, then check all the hoses and T connections from the pump to the carbs are clear.

Back