Stator and clutch covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, I ordered a set of new covers form Python today. I am planning on doing a valve adjustment later this month and figured I might as well change these at the same time. Do either one have a gasket that will need replaced? Thanks.

:punk: Both will need new gaskets. I order two sets of gaskets when ordering as the shipping and wait time are free on the second set and you can always use them. good Luck, Spurs

So on this diagram, I know I need part #13. On the clutch cover, is it part #26, #30 or both that I need?

Attachments

• CRANKCASE_COVER.jpg
    CRANKCASE_COVER.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 53
I believe you will need a middle gear cover gasket as well. Mid gear needs to come off to remove stator cover.

EDIT: Brain fart! This is not correct. I was thinking covers and not inserts...

I thought the stator cover was just the two bolts holding it on. On NaughtyG's thread about adjusting the valves, it looks like the cover comes off by itself without removing anything else. Is that right?

The round stator cover has a rubber gasket and should be re-usable & yes you will need #26 & #30

Oops, that is correct. Two bolts hold the stator insert. Complete cover can remain. The gasket between the two is usually reusable. Clutch cover will need to come off to remove the insert. You will need the gasket.

The clutch and stator covers both have a fiber/paper gasket that will most likely rip apart when you remove the covers. The stator insert (round piece) has a rubber re-useable gasket. For the valves you just have to remove that so you can turn the engine by hand.

The middle gear cover must come off before the entire stator cover, it overlaps. It also has a fiber gasket that will rip apart. I used Yamabond 4(any yamaha dealer will have it) to re-seal it because the local dealer didn't have any gaskets. Been fine for months. You shouldn't use sealant alone on the stator, since it can bind the starter reduction gears(cover would ride too close to the case).

Since you have new covers, you'll have to change the stator over...make sure you have a proper philips screwdriver for the 3 stator bolts. It's a big one. An impact screwdriver would be even better, but I cracked all 3 of mine loose with (iirc) a #3 philips. Just as I thought it was about to round off they came loose. If it doesn't seem to fit quite right, DON'T use it. Go get a proper one.

You can change the clutch cover without any oil leaking if you have it on the side stand. For the stator side covers, you either have to drain the oil(catch in clean container if you plan to re-use it), or tilt the bike the other way. I put a jackstand under the right side peg and carefully leaned the bike on the "wrong" side so I could remove the covers without messing around with the oil. If you're doing both sides might just be easier to drain it.

RaWarrior, I guess I was calling them the wrong thing. It is the inserts that I got, not the whole cover. I've been wanting to get them for a while, and figured while I have the stator side off I might as well change both. Here's the pic of what I got.

Attachments

• statorclutchpolTFslot.jpg
    statorclutchpolTFslot.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 39
Damn, those are sharp! How much were they if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Kinda pricey for what they are. $185. But I've been eyeballing them for a while and decided to spend some of my Christmas bonus on myself. Also, if you get them over this weekend, they were 10% off. They also have the clutch and reservoir covers with the same design, might get those as well.

Kinda pricey for what they are. $185. But I've been eyeballing them for a while and decided to spend some of my Christmas bonus on myself. Also, if you get them over this weekend, they were 10% off. They also have the clutch and reservoir covers with the same design, might get those as well.

Yea that puts me out! LOL

:punk: You need part #26 and #30 to install those pieces. Good Luck, Spurs

Back