Stator Phases???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Hello All
After getting my ignitor replaced and extensive troubleshooting I have determined my stator needs replaced :bang head:

The question I have is...
the AC phases/wires coming out of the stator, do they have to hook up to any particular wire to the R/R:ummm:

Reason I ask is the plugs on the stator and R/R have been cut and hardwired. They were labeled "X,Y,Z" so right now I can tell which wire from the stator connects to the R/R but....when I get my new stator it is going to come with the plug and I am not sure which wires are which now that they have been cut and hardwired. Do the phases of the stator care which wire of the R/R they connect to???

Thanks in advance
Cheers:cheers:

Nope, the order of white stator to R/R wires doesn't matter. It'll work however you hook it up.

Mark

Did you meter each output to make sure that its not the rectifier that is bad?

yeah, I did the whole run down on the sticky charging flow chart
When I got to the stator AC output test it was only reading 11-12 vac at idle and when I brought up the rpms 2 of the phases stayed there and one of them dropped down to 6. The two good phases did not even come up in voltage.
Brings up another question....
How hard is it to replace the stator, doesnt seem too difficult.
Cheers :cheers:

yeah, I did the whole run down on the sticky charging flow chart
When I got to the stator AC output test it was only reading 11-12 vac at idle and when I brought up the rpms 2 of the phases stayed there and one of them dropped down to 6. The two good phases did not even come up in voltage.
Brings up another question....
How hard is it to replace the stator, doesnt seem too difficult.
Cheers :cheers:
Not too bad, just remove the left side crank cover and the middle gear cover. Need a new gasket for each cover and a new crush washer for bottom middle cover bolt. There are a couple of screws that fasten the stator to the cover. I think you need to loctite those. Make sure you put some rtv sealant on the stator wire grommet.

Mark

Not too bad, just remove the left side crank cover and the middle gear cover. Need a new gasket for each cover and a new crush washer for bottom middle cover bolt. There are a couple of screws that fasten the stator to the cover. I think you need to loctite those. Make sure you put some rtv sealant on the stator wire grommet.

Mark

Okie dokie, sounds easy enough but...you talk about a crush washer for bottom middle cover bolt. Which cover, the crank cover or the middle gear cover. I have had both off before and there was not a crush washer on either.

Oh yeah and instead of gaskets can I just rtv the covers???
Thanks again
Cheers:cheers:

The middle gear cover....it was on the bolt at the 6:00 position I believe.

Mark

Back