Stator - Roadstar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I've been noticing a gradual voltage drop on the Roadie, using the Kuryakyn voltmeter (LED's). I started poking around, looking for a burnt regulator connector like my Max did many years ago. No such luck. I checked the 3-phase AC out of the stator, and got 48v, 48v, and 24v!

Looks like the stator is in the process of dying. I also checked the resistance from the phases to ground, they came out infinite - OK. However, all 3 phases tested 2.5 ohms internally. This seems really high, because the manual says .5 or .6 ohms.

You'd think Yamaha would have the charge systems figured out by 2002, which is the year of this bike. The stock stator puts out about 21amps, but the regulator/rectifier can only accept 18, so there's a bottleneck right off the bat.
People tend to hang a bit of power consuming crap on Roadstars, I've got a set of spotlights, a GPS, and a small stereo...

Got to get a 2005 spec stator and R/R, as they are rated for 31 amps each.

Kinda sucks, but at least I didn't get stranded. The LED voltmeter shows one green light, with the occasional dip to yellow. The thing still starts OK, but I've stopped using all extra accessories to help the thing last a bit longer. After rassling with the VMax for over 20 years, and finally getting it right, I didn't expect to have to do it again with the Roadie.

Comments, advice or whatever is invited. I guess I have to replace the stator at minimum, but I'll also do the regulator to get the extra amps the 2005 stator offers.

I wound up getting a Ricks Motorsports "Hot Shot" stator new on Amazon for $129.40 shipped.

Replacing it was not too bad, a beotch to get the 3 screws holding the stator in place loose. After that it was a simple job to put the thing back together, and enjoy the 14.2 volt charge it now makes at idle.

Roadstars charging systems must have been designed by the same geniuses that did the Max. First, you got a lousy 21 amps from a stock stator - THEN, they only use a 19 apm max regulator?!?!?!?

The hot shot stator puts out 20% more, around 25-26 amps.
Everything lights up fine, bright as hell, good voltages even with the spots on.
I am going to get the upgraded R/R unit to get those last 4 or 5 amps I paid for.
:punk:

Cool, bill. Yamaha is like GM when it comes to electrical.

I've been noticing a gradual voltage drop on the Roadie, using the Kuryakyn voltmeter (LED's). I started poking around, looking for a burnt regulator connector like my Max did many years ago. No such luck. I checked the 3-phase AC out of the stator, and got 48v, 48v, and 24v!

Looks like the stator is in the process of dying. I also checked the resistance from the phases to ground, they came out infinite - OK. However, all 3 phases tested 2.5 ohms internally. This seems really high, because the manual says .5 or .6 ohms.

You'd think Yamaha would have the charge systems figured out by 2002, which is the year of this bike. The stock stator puts out about 21amps, but the regulator/rectifier can only accept 18, so there's a bottleneck right off the bat.
People tend to hang a bit of power consuming crap on Roadstars, I've got a set of spotlights, a GPS, and a small stereo...

Got to get a 2005 spec stator and R/R, as they are rated for 31 amps each.

Kinda sucks, but at least I didn't get stranded. The LED voltmeter shows one green light, with the occasional dip to yellow. The thing still starts OK, but I've stopped using all extra accessories to help the thing last a bit longer. After rassling with the VMax for over 20 years, and finally getting it right, I didn't expect to have to do it again with the Roadie.

Comments, advice or whatever is invited. I guess I have to replace the stator at minimum, but I'll also do the regulator to get the extra amps the 2005 stator offers.

From .5 ohms to 2.5 ohms is within the tile stance of meter lead resistance on anything but a good fluke with good leads. Did you do a lead check and make sure the wires your holding the leads on are good and clean?

When the old stator came out of the bike it showed signs of burning. The point where the 3 wires emerge from the stator coil was really burnt up, and the insulation was gone from some of the winding wire... Toast for sure! I used the same meter on the new stator and got .7 ohm/leg - which is in tolerance.
Yamaha sold me a gasket they called "Graphite Coated" or something. I still put a thin coating of RTV sealer on it. No leaks. Was it a good idea to use this sealer? The tech at the dealer said it wasn't necessary, but I heat taking something apart a second time to fix a leak.

So far, I've got about 350 miles on the new stator. No problems at all. The Kuryakyn voltmeter shows 2 green lights (perfect) almost immediately after starting the bike. Turn on the high beams, and the spotlights, the led's drop to one green just for a second, then goes back to 2 greens. This is better than the system has worked for years! If this stator lasts 53,000 miles like the original one did, I'll be totally satisfied. Now winter's coming on fast, so I'm thinking that there won't be too much riding for a while. I'm gonna put the Max away tomorrow, along with the scooter, but leave the Roadstar out for at least another few weeks. Think of it this way..... 8 more months till Thunder!!

Back