Stock mufler mods...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
I have read about the 2 basic ways to open up the stock mufflers...and it all seems pretty easy and to the point...

My question is...which way is really better?... I don't think I like the method of drilling or punching a 1" hole through the middle, that just don't seem right, and I'm thinking it would give the bike a 'straight pipe' sound, which I really don't want.... The other method of removing the rivits, and drilling the plate inside with 5 1/2" holes seems more reasonable.. but how loud does it get?...

The stock system is just a little to quiet, and likely pretty restrictive, but I'm looking for a mid-ground sound, and not something real obnoxious... How about less holes drilled, say 3 to 4 instead of 5...would that work?

Not having the ability to hear one that has been modded, I'm a little bit leary of proceeding, and then once it's done be unhappy with a real loud sound...

I like the look of the stock sysyem, and would really like to keep it, but it does need some more db's to be a little more street safe...imho...

Philthy

There's an exhaust sound file in the exhaust section of the forum- it's a sticky post - it has among others, the stock exhaust sound and the modded stock sound.

Once upon a time, I did this mod and IMO - I would say that five 1/2" holes does not sound too loud. Now have kerker 4-2-1 with 1.5 and 2.5 inch baffle depending on mood!

Mike

The stock exhaust is hard to make really loud as the pipes are pretty small and the cans are pretty well full of baffles... The thing I don't like is the sound when you rivet the end cap back on over the holes... Sounds all blappy and sounds like air trying to escape out of a small hole... Hard to describe...:confused2:

I haven't been over impressed with the modded stock exhaust but free is cheap!:whistlin::thumbs up:

I performed the mod where you remove the rear cover and drill holes in the end of the can. I don't think I drilled 1/2" holes though, I think they were more like 1/4"

The best way for me to describe it is that it enhanced the factory sound. Slightly louder, slightly more aggressive.

It was definitly worth the 15 or so minutes it took, and the price was fantastic.

Unless you are worried about messing up your factory system, there is no real reason not to try it first.

Regards.......................Neal

Many thanks to all that replied...

I don't know why I hadn't noticed the sticky..but it sure opened my ears to the diffs....Trying to ingest so much good info on here in a short time, I just seemed to have missed that one.

I believe at this point, will go with the 1" drill-out of the inside plate...seems the easiest and quickest way to go.

Some of the aftermarkets do sound sweet, but just a little to loud for what I want, and then there's that ol' cost factor....a complete new setup can get pretty pricy. I also don't want to have to rejet, and resync carbs and all that at this time.

Now for a little snivelass moment...just got her legal and FL registered Monday, and today the bottom dropped out of the local temp...just my luck! The good thing is, it'll warm back up in a few days...then watch out!

Take care y'all! Philthy

Many thanks to all that replied...

I don't know why I hadn't noticed the sticky..but it sure opened my ears to the diffs....Trying to ingest so much good info on here in a short time, I just seemed to have missed that one.

I believe at this point, will go with the 1" drill-out of the inside plate...seems the easiest and quickest way to go.

Some of the aftermarkets do sound sweet, but just a little to loud for what I want, and then there's that ol' cost factor....a complete new setup can get pretty pricy. I also don't want to have to rejet, and resync carbs and all that at this time.

Now for a little snivelass moment...just got her legal and FL registered Monday, and today the bottom dropped out of the local temp...just my luck! The good thing is, it'll warm back up in a few days...then watch out!

Take care y'all! Philthy

Supertrapps are pretty cheap and sound GREAT! They also reduce the weight some!:thumbs up:

I have read about the 2 basic ways to open up the stock mufflers...and it all seems pretty easy and to the point...

My question is...which way is really better?... I don't think I like the method of drilling or punching a 1" hole through the middle, that just don't seem right, and I'm thinking it would give the bike a 'straight pipe' sound, which I really don't want.... The other method of removing the rivits, and drilling the plate inside with 5 1/2" holes seems more reasonable.. but how loud does it get?...

The stock system is just a little to quiet, and likely pretty restrictive, but I'm looking for a mid-ground sound, and not something real obnoxious... How about less holes drilled, say 3 to 4 instead of 5...would that work?

Not having the ability to hear one that has been modded, I'm a little bit leary of proceeding, and then once it's done be unhappy with a real loud sound...

I like the look of the stock sysyem, and would really like to keep it, but it does need some more db's to be a little more street safe...imho...

Philthy

I took a sawsall and cut mine in half right in front of the rear tire tore it off and threw it away.Both cans were f'd up from the previous owner.

I finally drilled the 5 holes in mine 2 weeks ago, I put a nut as a spacer behind the end plates. Definitely gives it a throatier sound and I noticed that more people are turning heads than before. At idle it's not that much louder, but when you goose the throttle, it sure gets more attention.
The sound definitely resonates better in traffic, and that's all I was looking for until I get a complete exhaust system.

OK...Got 'er done....major improvement!

I did the drill the baffle route...about 20 bux at Ace Hdwr, for a 12"x1/4" drill bit, and a 1" hole saw...and about 15 minutes 'labor'..and wow...what a diff... Not at all obnoxious...nice mellow deep tone, but noticably louder sound...just what I was looking for.

The temp has gone back up to the high 70's today, so got to take her out in 'traffic' for the first time... lots of notices and waves from other scooters. Feels so good to be back on a good ride again!

Many thanks to all who responded.... take care y'all! Philthy

OK...Got 'er done....major improvement!

I did the drill the baffle route...about 20 bux at Ace Hdwr, for a 12"x1/4" drill bit, and a 1" hole saw...and about 15 minutes 'labor'..and wow...what a diff... Not at all obnoxious...nice mellow deep tone, but noticably louder sound...just what I was looking for.

The temp has gone back up to the high 70's today, so got to take her out in 'traffic' for the first time... lots of notices and waves from other scooters. Feels so good to be back on a good ride again!

Many thanks to all who responded.... take care y'all! Philthy

uncle im hoping you ride with some guys and you know how your bike pulled before on the highway against your buddys...and how it will pull now with drilled out baffle

uncle im hoping you ride with some guys and you know how your bike pulled before on the highway against your buddys...and how it will pull now with drilled out baffle

Good morning…
Not sure why you ask…. But the answer is, I don’t ride that much with too many different bikes… In fact I haven’t ridden at all for around 11-12 years, since selling my last owned HD shovelhead 88ci stroker. Lotta S&S parts in there… I quit for a few different reasons, mostly the ol’ HD was killing me on most rides toward the ‘end’. I have some back issues, and old ‘war’ wounds….

But the last year or so, my 2 sons, who both own and ride late model HD ST’s moved nearby, and even my grandson, rides a ‘zuki sport, and one son’s wife owns and rides a ‘busa… I was feeling pretty left out… And I’m the guy that started the whole thing… I was strongly considering trying again on a 1200 Sportster, until I ‘discovered’ the V Max. Decided that this was the one I wanted…

The one I ‘found’ was 3500-plus original miles, one owner ’00 model, bone-stock…all I wanted to do, was raise the db level a little, which is what I accomplished with the mod to the mufflers… How did it effect performance?…little to none that I know of…maybe ran a little on the lean side, until I finally located the mixture screws… I haven’t had the bike past about 7.5 grand on the tach, and about 85mph once or twice pulling through the gears on the road.. I won’t ‘race’…can’t afford the repairs and speed fines… But both son’s 95in and 96in twin cams, can’t outpull it…so that makes it just fine with me…

Yesterday, me n’ the wifey, had a nice little cruise a ways up the coast and back ….on some nice scenic 2 lane back roads…through some little coastal towns…we are both somewhat on the heavy side, and the lil’ Max hauls us 2up, at 65-75 all day if I want, without even breakin’ a sweat…. That’s all I’m asking for… We get some nice attention and compliments too! FL State cop even gave us a friendly wave! Added plus, so far no (other then normal everyday) back pain!

Good Lord willin’ I’ll be 66 this coming April…I’ll leave the racin’ and HP stuff to all you younger dudes… Been there n’ done that…don’t really need or want to do it again…

Take care Bro’!… Uncle Philthy

Last edited by a moderator:

Good morning?
Not sure why you ask?. But the answer is, I don?t ride that much with too many different bikes? In fact I haven?t ridden at all for around 11-12 years, since selling my last owned HD shovelhead 88ci stroker. Lotta S&S parts in there? I quit for a few different reasons, mostly the ol? HD was killing me on most rides toward the ?end?. I have some back issues, and old ?war? wounds?.

But the last year or so, my 2 sons, who both own and ride late model HD ST?s moved nearby, and even my grandson, rides a ?zuki sport, and one son?s wife owns and rides a ?busa? I was feeling pretty left out? And I?m the guy that started the whole thing? I was strongly considering trying again on a 1200 Sportster, until I ?discovered? the V Max. Decided that this was the one I wanted?

The one I ?found? was 3500-plus original miles, one owner ?00 model, bone-stock?all I wanted to do, was raise the db level a little, which is what I accomplished with the mod to the mufflers? How did it effect performance??little to none that I know of?maybe ran a little on the lean side, until I finally located the mixture screws? I haven?t had the bike past about 7.5 grand on the tach, and about 85mph once or twice pulling through the gears on the road.. I won?t ?race??can?t afford the repairs and speed fines? But both son?s 95in and 96in twin cams, can?t outpull it?so that makes it just fine with me?

Yesterday, me n? the wifey, had a nice little cruise a ways up the coast and back ?.on some nice scenic 2 lane back roads?through some little coastal towns?we are both somewhat on the heavy side, and the lil? Max hauls us 2up, at 65-75 all day if I want, without even breakin? a sweat?. That?s all I?m asking for? We get some nice attention and compliments too! FL State cop even gave us a friendly wave! Added plus, so far no (other then normal everyday) back pain!

Good Lord willin? I?ll be 66 this coming April?I?ll leave the racin? and HP stuff to all you younger dudes? Been there n? done that?don?t really need or want to do it again?

Take care Bro?!? Uncle Philthy

asked because i wanted to see if you lost any roll on torque on the highway,,when riding with your sons again let me know if your still pulling them the same after exhaust mods,,be safe uncle

asked because i wanted to see if you lost any roll on torque on the highway,,when riding with your sons again let me know if your still pulling them the same after exhaust mods,,be safe uncle

Truthfully, I can't answer that, as I did the mods before I ever had it out on the open road...had just been doing some getting acquainted sprints on a straight two lane road where younger son lives...I thought the thing pulled pretty good, but was a little to quiet for my liking... I still believe that loud pipes can save lives...

But since getting legal tagged n' titled, have moved out to the main roads...a little over a month now... again no out n' out comp between me n' them, (at least not yet!) just notice that when they're twistin' pretty good, I'm right there with 'em...

Thanks for the 'caution' mah fren'..doin' the best I can... I never 'trust' anyone in a cage, and if I see a possible l/turn coming at an intersection, I'm always ready and looking for an escape, figuring they're gonna do it.

The only times in past years I ever got hurt to any degree, wasn't ever my fault...but I learned real quick that sometimes you just become invisable or something...

L8R, Philthy

Truthfully, I can't answer that, as I did the mods before I ever had it out on the open road...had just been doing some getting acquainted sprints on a straight two lane road where younger son lives...I thought the thing pulled pretty good, but was a little to quiet for my liking... I still believe that loud pipes can save lives...

But since getting legal tagged n' titled, have moved out to the main roads...a little over a month now... again no out n' out comp between me n' them, (at least not yet!) just notice that when they're twistin' pretty good, I'm right there with 'em...

Thanks for the 'caution' mah fren'..doin' the best I can... I never 'trust' anyone in a cage, and if I see a possible l/turn coming at an intersection, I'm always ready and looking for an escape, figuring they're gonna do it.

The only times in past years I ever got hurt to any degree, wasn't ever my fault...but I learned real quick that sometimes you just become invisable or something...

L8R, Philthy

Roll it a bit out into the intersection then go WOT and spin that tire for the rest of 1st gear!:banana: That'll show your sons the power the max has to offer.:whistlin:

Would someone explain the stock exhaust mod in which I use a 12" long 1/2 inch drill bit; I'm not sure what to do with the 1" hole saw.
Just bought it over the weekend - needs more sound without spending extra cash at this point.

"Would someone explain the stock exhaust mod in which I use a 12" long 1/2 inch drill bit; I'm not sure what to do with the 1" hole saw."

FB...whatcha need is a 12"x1/4" bit that will drill through mild steel...NOT a 12x1/2"...Place a 1" holesaw onto the 1/4" bit, with enough of the 1/4" out front, to make your 'pilot' hole. Once through the baffle, the holesaw will drill a 1" hole on through it. It'll go through pretty easy... I also used a little oil on both bits to ease it through.

Beware that you will likely need to adjust your carb a/f mix screws, to lean it out some, as relieving the back pressure will cause it to run pretty rich if you don't... Mine runs real well @ about 2 1/4 turns out from 'bottomed out'.

I like the sound ok...it really did help, but now I'm seriously considering some Supertrapps in the near future... I have heard them up close and personal...and THAT'S what I would really like mine to sound like.

Philthy

I thought that you remove the rivets holding the end cap on.Drill holes through the end between the rivet holes then put spacers between the end cap and muffler(nuts or washers)then rivet it back together so it looks stock.
I took an electrical knock out punch and made a bigger hole in the end cap.

From what I have been reading, the removal of the end cap and drilling is the other option for the stock exhaust. Did you have to make any carb adjustments?

Thanks for the advice!!

Back