Stopping the Vboost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
As you folks kindly explained a few months ago when I first got my Vmax, the VBoost is an electronic feature that opens an additional set of butterflies in the carbs at 6k rpms which results in a turbo-like effect.

Great, I love it. But....I know there are some aftermarket switches to turn it on and off. If the carbs are set up to run on the vboost at 6k rpms, what happens if you turn it off and do some high-rpm stuff?

I ask this because I need to take the Vmax into the mountains, Deal's Gap actually, and this kind of riding is best done at higher rpms, engine braking is so critical. But if that Vboost kicks in while I'm accelerating out of the curve, I'll run off into the ditch!

Will it foul the plugs or something if I put an "off" switch in the line? I never want it on all the time, only to turn it off occassionally.

Oh, and where, if it's not a bad idea, do I get the switch, or can I just mount any toggle in the line?

As you folks kindly explained a few months ago when I first got my Vmax, the VBoost is an electronic feature that opens an additional set of butterflies in the carbs at 6k rpms which results in a turbo-like effect.

Great, I love it. But....I know there are some aftermarket switches to turn it on and off. If the carbs are set up to run on the vboost at 6k rpms, what happens if you turn it off and do some high-rpm stuff?

I ask this because I need to take the Vmax into the mountains, Deal's Gap actually, and this kind of riding is best done at higher rpms, engine braking is so critical. But if that Vboost kicks in while I'm accelerating out of the curve, I'll run off into the ditch!

Will it foul the plugs or something if I put an "off" switch in the line? I never want it on all the time, only to turn it off occassionally.

Oh, and where, if it's not a bad idea, do I get the switch, or can I just mount any toggle in the line?

hey guy you can buy a t-boost on e-bay for $39.00 where you can select when the v-boost comes on 3k, 6k, or all the time with a toggle switch, it's worth the money, i mounted mine on the left scoop. dave

No, just take off your left scoop and disconnect the round connector there. That'll prevent Boost from opening. It won't hurt anything, it'll just feel lethargic in the higher rpms.

Hey Gal, (sorry dave she's very much a woman :biglaugh:)

This is the one I use, it allows for open at 3k, 6k and closed all the time. I'm lazy and didn't want to take stuff on and off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___V-Max-T-Boost-V-Boost-control-TBoost-VMAX-Yamaha_W0QQitemZ170304547640QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item170304547640&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I like to run with it turned off when I'm touring and in the rain. I seem to get a wee bit more mileage with it off when I'm touring.

its a snap to install, I mounted the switch just in front of the left scoop.

Attachments

• Vmax_grill.jpg
    Vmax_grill.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 81
I have that T-Boost switch mounted in the same place.

I have found out, however, that Maxine is pretty much just as lively around 6000 rpm with the V-Boost turned off. It's *above* 6000 that it makes a difference - with V-Boost on it gets stronger and stronger, with it off it gets weaker in the higher revs.

Anyone else with the switched Boost concur?

I have found out, however, that Maxine is pretty much just as lively around 6000 rpm with the V-Boost turned off. It's *above* 6000 that it makes a difference - with V-Boost on it gets stronger and stronger, with it off it gets weaker in the higher revs.

Anyone else with the switched Boost concur?

I've noticed that too. I came back from a 110 mile fun run to get some burgers with a couple of friends and I got on it on a nice section of road. The bike didn't feel the same up top.

I turned the Vboost back on to somewhat troubleshoot while I was riding and the issue went away, turned the Vboost back off and again it was weak up top again.

Fantastic! OK it's only 40 bucks. I wonder if just a toggle in the line to break the circuit would do the trick for me. But if I can just unhook it...that might be better. I only go the hill several times a year. If the dang thing came on at 3k all the time I'd be out of money, between cops and gasoline.
I'm shamefully NOT all about speed, I just needed something faster than that damnable Twin Cam Harley Dinosaur.

Thanks!
Any good pics out there of the switch install?

I did the Gap on my 95 Max and didn't notice any problems with the V-Boost. The torque of the Max means you don't need high revs to have fun. I don't think I even used more than 2 gears as the corners are so close together and are not high speed corners. Just my :twocents: .

Cool MC, I've never seen a Vmax on the Gap. I'll be well above 6k rpms on this bike. I'm at 8k or more on the in-fours, don't mess around on those wonderful twisty roads! I take 'em as fast as I possibly can.

I'm not afraid to twist that thing all the way to red line, I just don't want some unexpected burst of speed to unsettle the suspension and plant me in the weeds. The suspension being the egg-crate mattress that it is....

Actually there were two of us with Maxes on that trip. The other guy had a Concours. We were on a trip from Dallas to the Outer Banks and hit all the sights in between. Rode the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while and that was nice also.

You won't be past first and second gear if you want to use high rpm. I don't remember any high speed corners at the Gap. If you were riding inline-4 sport bikes, they usually develop their power in the higher rpm range. Don't expect to throw the Max around the corners like the sport bikes. I found smoothness to be best with the Max. Again, just my :twocents: .

Any good pics out there of the switch install?

Here is a bigger picture of where I put mine, I just checked for clearance then drilled the hole.

The instructions that come with the kit I posted about earlier has pretty thorough instructions complete with pictures. It took about 5 min to remove seat and side cover and another 5 to install the t-boost.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
i'd say for $40 its a nice little piece that will give you what you want. its also changeable on the fly, so u can turn vboost back on when you want, instead of pulling over and plugging the controller back on...

haven't riden mine with it yet but looking forward to it, maybe today before an epic snowstorm comes apparently...:bang head::bang head::bang head:

i would second KJ's idea that u want to measure first.. i forgot about the throttle body when i drilled the whole and ended up breaking the switch. it has a plastic threaded tube and the new one i got from radioshack had a metal tube so its stronger, plus i mounted it sideways in the hole instead of vertically...

i can post a pic later today....

My max had the T boost switch on it when I got it. It's mounted on top of engine on off switch housing next to throttle. Mine is three way also but it cant be shut off. It's either stock setting, 3000 or on all the time. From reading this thread some of yours turn v boost off?:ummm:

cool, that's a good-looking install!
I have the bike apart now for valve adjust (and it's kicking my butt) but I don't see a round connector under the left scoop. Is it a bullet-style one-wire connector?

Ah, your attachment is locking up my computer every time, it won't open it.
But I can see the swtich on there...

Here is the connector on my 99. Must have changed it. Garret's is square.:ummm:

Attachments

• DSC01546.JPG
    DSC01546.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 21
this is where i put mine, i like to have my eyes on the road while trying different settings.

Attachments

• t-boost 002.jpg
    t-boost 002.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 48
Here is the connector on my 99. Must have changed it. Garret's is square.:ummm:

mine was def square, plus that pic is from the tboost website's install manual...

odd?:ummm:

Back