Strange coolant leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Anybody ever have a weeping coolant leak from where the coolant hose attaches to the front head? I'm getting ready to drop my engine down for better access to it but I had a small leak from that area all last year, replaced the hose, replaced the clamp, went to a worm clamp and still leaking :( just seeing if anyone else ever had this issue, I'm hoping it's not leaking from the outlet of the cylinder head but if it is I might try to heat up the outlet and sweat it like a copper fitting, just don't want to get it so hot to trash the valve seals or warp the head. Can't ride another year like this cause it was driving me nuts...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Is it leaking for where that fitting is pressed into the head, or between the hose and the fitting?

I think that fitting is steel, mine
had some corrosion on it when I did my heads. Could be rotting from the inside maybe??

Might be the plastic crossover fitting behind that hose maybe?

Is it leaking for where that fitting is pressed into the head, or between the hose and the fitting?

I think that fitting is steel, mine
had some corrosion on it when I did my heads. Could be rotting from the inside maybe??

Might be the plastic crossover fitting behind that hose maybe?

Can't exactly tell, I'm leaning more towards where it's pressed into the head unfortunately. If it was leaking from the crossover tube then coolant would be in the oil or leaking out of the opposite side where it goes in but that side is bone dry. Know of anyone who's replaced the fitting without pulling the cylinder head?

Nope. I wouldn't know how to get them out other than "twist, crumple and destroy" like a broken lamp socket.
I would bet it can be done.

If anyone knows it's probably Sean.

Well I'm not positive that it's leaking from the head to the fitting but I'm leaning that way, brand new hose and clamp, cleaned the corrosion off the fitting best I could and even smeared a small amount of Teflon sealant on the id of the hose and used a worm clamp instead of a spring clamp and it still weeps. It's very minor but on long rides it'll drip down into the spark plug hole and leak out of the side weeping hole. I didn't want to resort to dropping the engine but at this point I can't see any other option because with the engine in the bike you don't have good access to the fitting. I was just looking for ideas mainly and seeing if anyone else ever had this issue.

Also keep in mind that "right there" (where the fitting comes out of the head - behind the spark plug......behind that is the plug that blocks off the water jacket passage (has a little pin that holds the plug in place)......when you pull that plug out there are 3 o-rings in there that can fail.......One of mine are and I'm getting ready to replace all of them......Antifreeze comes out the spark plug drain hole just like if that hose was leaking just like you mentioned. Something to consider..............

Also keep in mind that "right there" (where the fitting comes out of the head - behind the spark plug......behind that is the plug that blocks off the water jacket passage (has a little pin that holds the plug in place)......when you pull that plug out there are 3 o-rings in there that can fail.......One of mine are and I'm getting ready to replace all of them......Antifreeze comes out the spark plug drain hole just like if that hose was leaking just like you mentioned. Something to consider..............
If it is this "plug" a writeup on the procedure would be nice, not to often we get a issue in this area. I believe Sean has explained the how to before but it must be buried in a post.

Your thinking of the opposite side of the head, it's the coolant crossover tube and there are 3 o rings but if that was the case then the coolant would leak on cylinder number 4 instead of cylinder number 3 because on #3 there's no provision for coolant to leak because the crossover tube goes in from the side of cylinder number 4. It pretty much has to be either the fitting from the head has a pin hole in it or it's leaking from where the fitting is pressed into the head or possibly a cracked cylinder head. I just have a hard time believing I'm the only person this has happened to, was hoping someone could give me a direction to look before going to all the work of lowering the engine down.

Yeah, you're right. I went back and looked at my pics of the engine build, and the coolant crossover goes in from the opposite side of the coolant hose nipple. So I think your down to that nipple being the culprit.

Unless it's leaking from somewhere above and migrating to that area before it falls??

If it was me I would think you could pull the coolant hose nipples out from the topside after removing whatever is in the way before I would pull the engine.

A set of heavy needle nose, grab and twist one side and let it fold up on itself thereby decreasing the OD. It's the same procedure I've used to removed a broken light bulb base that won't come out.
Didn't say it would be easy though, wall thickness on that nipple is probably lot more than I think it is.
I'd be careful not to let any little chunks of metal get away down that hole either although they would stay in the coolant system they might hose up the water pump.

As far as that plastic crossover, the procedure is to pull the roll pin and grab the "plug" with a pair of pliers (I used lineman's pliers, "Kliens" if you will) and pull and or pull & twist.
If you can pull it straight out without twisting you might not break it. More than likely you will end up breaking it.
I'd plan on replacing the crossovers, O rings and roll pins before I even started the job.

Yea I talked to John at PCW today and he told me it's kinda rare but it does happen, gave me a few ideas to fix it but he says you can't just pull it out because it pretty much has to be machined out which means pulling the head and that's not happening lol I'm sure with what he told me I can get it to last this year which is all I'll need it to last because my 1500 will be done this summer anyway but not gonna put it in until next winter.

Back