Strange First Gear Feeling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Reed

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I installed forward controls on my Vmax the other day and have a strange feeling to first gear not. All of the up shifts feel normal. When I down shift the throw feels shorter than it should and when I am in neutral and shift to first there is no feeling the bike goes into gear. I push the shifter down and the neutral light will go off and it is in gear. It is to have some more motion and I could hear the clock. Any ideas?

Thanks to all.

Hi Everyone,

I installed forward controls on my Vmax the other day and have a strange feeling to first gear not. All of the up shifts feel normal. When I down shift the throw feels shorter than it should and when I am in neutral and shift to first there is no feeling the bike goes into gear. I push the shifter down and the neutral light will go off and it is in gear. It is to have some more motion and I could hear the clock. Any ideas?

Thanks to all.

My guess is the geometry of your set up isn't very linear and somethings binding........

I'd put the old stuff back on correctly and make sure the tranny is really ok, Then start your installation over paying attention to "push/pull" angles etc on the levers at the shift shaft and on your forward controls.....Things need to be "in the middle of the arc" to work right, or else your trying to do to much with too little torque advantage and also risk binding things up....none of that probably makes sense but still, just trying to help....

Good luck,

Rusty

May be as simple as a linkage adjustment or something specific to the linkage design. Or What Rusty Mentioned...

Hmmm...do a FAT burnout, park it, sit on a milk crate and stare at the bike(don't look at the shifter yet, just bask in the glory if your Max for a while)and drink an ICE COLD beer, when you finish the beer take all shift equiptment off and reinstall.

That will fix it, I promise. You're bike will feel better you stopped to enjoy her beauty, you feel better with a cold beer in you, and a fresh install usually helps you locate the issue the second (or dozenth time) you do it. We all been there.

Back