Strange pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggun

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just bought my first V-max. It is a 1987 model and has got about 30.00 miles on it.

The first thing I wanted to do is change the oil.

I however can not find the oil filler cap!!

On the right hand side of the motor where the cap should be there is instead a pipe running from there and up under the seat.

This pipe can be disassembled by the crankcase.

Can anybody inform me on what is the purpose of this pipe and if this is the right place to put the fresh oil.

Regards
Ragnar

That pipe (braided hose) should go up under the fake tank cover to 2 of the individual air filters. If so, it's the crankcase vent hose which is a part of a stage 7 dynojet system. Remove it and that's where the oil fill is.

thanks Maxcruser

The braided hose ends by the battery at the rear of the bike and connects to nothing.

The air box on the bike is the standard on (one) with a K&N filter.

Guess this is then the leftovers of a stage 7 jetting.

So I should be ok in removing it and getting a standard oil filler cap.

Ragnar

You can put a standard oil filler cap, but as a precaution I would first pul off the breather hose (hose that goes from airbox to crankcase breather which is under carb manifolds).

The stage 7 kit has an air restrictor that goes into that breather hose - if it stays there and you put a regular oil plug - crankcase pressure will be too high and can cause oil leaks.

Mike

Below is an image of where your cap is located.

:cheers:

Neil

Attachments

• vmax_oil_cap.jpg
    vmax_oil_cap.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 39
Back